• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Questioning Hawkgirl - All Star 5 or Flash Comics 24?

15 posts in this topic

I'm confused...

The CGC Label for All-Star 5 reads, First appearance of Shiera Saunders as Hawkgirl...

But then Flash Comics 24 says Shiera Saunders becomes Hawkgirl...

Can someone help me here? I don't quite understand what the difference is...

I'm confused...

The CGC Label for All-Star 5 reads, First appearance of Shiera Saunders as Hawkgirl...

Sure, just let me pull out my All-Star 5 and check...

(It's coverless, sadly. Still happy to have it.)

Shiera appears as Hawkgirl in the All-Star 5, in the sense that she is wearing a modified version of Hawkman's costume that later becomes her Hawkgirl costume. But it's presented as a one-time disguise to fool some crooks into seeing two Hawkmen, and she's never called Hawkgirl in the issue.

I presume she actually gets the costume permanently in the Flash 24, and adopts her own heroic name. So, she appears in the All-Star 5 in her Hawkgirl costume- hence First Appearance of Shiera Sanders as Hawkgirl- but doesn't actually assume the name and role until the Flash 24.

I'm confused...

Sure, just let me pull out my All-Star 5 and check...

(It's coverless, sadly. Still happy to have it.)

Shiera appears as Hawkgirl in the All-Star 5, in the sense that she is wearing a modified version of Hawkman's costume that later becomes her Hawkgirl costume. But it's presented as a one-time disguise to fool some crooks into seeing two Hawkmen, and she's never called Hawkgirl in the issue.

I presume she actually gets the costume permanently in the Flash 24, and adopts her own heroic name. So, she appears in the All-Star 5 in her Hawkgirl costume- hence First Appearance of Shiera Sanders as Hawkgirl- but doesn't actually assume the name and role until the Flash 24.

Flash 24: Hawkman gives Shiera a feminine Hawk costume to wear to a masquerade ball with him. As she suits up she thinks "I must say, this certainly is different! If Carter is the Hawkman, I'm the Hawkwoman! A tricky idea..."

Hawkman tells her not to get any ideas about helping him (fight crime) but she gets involved anyway. Later on in the story, a couple asks her if she's Hawkman. It's kind of an odd question really, since she's wearing a tube top and obviously has breasts. Even later, a criminal, thinking she's Hawkman, unmasks her and is surprised to find that she's "a dame" .

Anyway, at the end Carter tells her to give the costume back but she keeps it and the end blurb says "But Shiera flies again with the Hawkman every month in Flash Comics."

I think, during the 70's, the DC editorial staff considered Flash 24 to be the first Hawkgirl appearance. It's stated in an issue of Amazing World of DC Comics.

The early Overstreet Price Guide annotations said All Star 5 had Hawkman with Shiera in Hawk gear and Flash 24 had Shiera becoming Hawkgirl.

Thank you, all!

That was a remarkably precise, clear explanation of a very confusing labeling...

So, in your opinion, what is the first appearance of Hawkgirl?

Do you need to be called Hawkgirl to make it your first appearance, or if she looks like Hawkgirl and talks like Hawkgirl, and has the same secret identity, then is she Hawkgirl?

Thank you, all!

That was a remarkably precise, clear explanation of a very confusing labeling...

So, in your opinion, what is the first appearance of Hawkgirl?

Do you need to be called Hawkgirl to make it your first appearance, or if she looks like Hawkgirl and talks like Hawkgirl, and has the same secret identity, then is she Hawkgirl?

I would say all-star 5, which makes her a female super before Wonder Woman, but after (Timely's original) Black Widow and "Crackajack Funnies" Owl Girl