• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Original Swan/Klein art on ebay!

7 posts in this topic

Too bad those pages have become so expensive.

It's interesting how Marvel and DC comic art nearly follows comic publications in their valuation. Figuring this is from 1964 where the silver age emerged and features a main super hero character, at under $10k it could be considered a steal, where as if it were a Marvel title and character, you'd see this valued higher with a potential bidding war if at auction. Granted, Swan isn't as regarded as Kirby or Ditko, but I'd say at least parallel as Don Heck, George Tuska, D. Ayers, and other Marvel artists of the era whose work still commands high value in part due to the Marvel prestige.

I wonder if pages like this are solid speculative investment buys. I see there's a "Make Offer" which pretty much tells everyone the price is not $8,4999.99 and it can be had for less.

It's a beautiful page despite the wear and tear at a reasonable price.

From the mid '60's period, I thought Infantino was one of the few DC artists who artistically compared favorably to Marvel's better artists. Swan, for what he meant to DC was comparable, maybe, to what Ditko meant to Marvel? Or maybe Colon? I tend to be more of a DC guy, and while Swan may have been as important to DC as Ditko was to Marvel, his art itself was not close to Ditko's. I definitely liked Swan's art more then Heck's. But Heck wasn't as bad as some want to make him.

Swan was able to draw flawlessly relaxed poses as well as action poses. He could draw anything effortlessly. No one in the SA can even approach that-not Kirby not anyone. Swan was one of a kind and will never get the appreciation he deserves.