• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A General Plea/Observation-Mile High

84 posts in this topic

Mile High = a company.

Edgar Church = the dude who owned the books.

Calling the pedigree "Mile High" is advertising for a company.

Calling the pedigree "Edgar Church" honors the guy who owned the books.

Here's my take:

Most pedigrees are named after a place, (unless it is a FILE COPY or the OO actually wrote their name on the book (i.e. Larson, Reilly, etc).

1) City (Denver, Boston, etc.)

2) State (Pennsylvania)

3) Location (Pacific Coast)

4) Nickname of Place (Windy City, Lost Valley, etc)

MILE HIGH is #4. Regardless if that is what Chuck calls his store, MILE HIGH is the Nickname of a Place and therefore is just as appropriate a pedigree name as any other.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Im ignored by these joker's,..hence,..I can make fun of em all I like,...and they wont even know !!!! How smart is that ? Like whacking an ostrich with his head in the sand !

More like "whacking" yourself.

Revisionist tripe! If it wasn't for Chuck and Mile High, this collection would be nowknown as the Denver Landfill pedigree, thank to the Church heirs. Chuck brought it to the limelight...without Chuck, there would be no pedigree designation... and this collection would have been destined for obscurity. poke2.gif

That is certainly true. But Chuck had full knowledge of the owner and the history of the books. Heck Church was still alive when he obtained them. In so many of his reports he describes, in that humble way of his, the good things he has done, the help to others the sleflessness etc. So why not, from the beginning, name the collection after Church rather than after his own place?

Maybe because he didn't want the Church family to see their name connected to books priced in the hundreds or thousands of dollars, when Chuck paid them essentially cover price for them?

Maybe because he didn't want the Church family to see their name connected to books priced in the hundreds or thousands of dollars, when Chuck paid them essentially cover price for them?
Plus...realistically, how many pedigree finds have been named after the original owner? confused-smiley-013.gif

Plus...realistically, how many pedigree finds have been named after the original owner? confused-smiley-013.gif

There's Larsen....any others? confused-smiley-013.gif

Jim

This discussion has been going on for a long time.

Church collected them.

Chuck rescued them from almost certain destruction.

The family had already tossed the funny animal books and some of the magazines (if I remember correctly). If they hadn't have gotten ahold of a dealer who was actually willing to come look at the collection, they might very well have tossed it all.

Bottom line, they both deserve credit. Thus................. the Edgar Church/Mile High pedigree.

Jim

They're trying to be revisionist in the GA forums by calling the San Francisco pedigree, the O'Reilly books.

Plus, for some reason, the fans of the Salida collection don't seem to refer to it as the Blankis-Salida collection which is what it was originally named. They seem to justify it because they feel that Salida sounds cooler. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Jim

They're trying to be revisionist in the GA forums by calling the San Francisco pedigree, the O'Reilly books.

Plus, for some reason, the fans of the Salida collection don't seem to refer to it as the Blankis-Salida collection which is what it was originally named. They seem to justify it because they feel that Salida sounds cooler. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

893naughty-thumb.gif Reilly...not O'Reilly. I used to make the same mistake(until someone in the GA forum slapped me upside the head).

Jim

893naughty-thumb.gif Reilly...not O'Reily. I used to make the same mistake(until someone in the GA forum slapped me upside the head).

foreheadslap.gif but you get my point. No one else seems be upset about the names of the other pedigrees. Me thinks it's more of a personal issue with Chuck! confused-smiley-013.gif

To be honest, i've always heard Church mentioned as frequently as I have Mile High when talking about the collection. I've never gotten it confused with the MH2 find...in fact if I saw "Mile High" I always thought about the Church collection first.

Frankly I couldn't care less about what they call it...doesn't matter to me either way. I know what the collection is, it's history, and it's significance in the hobby. And Church's name goes hand in hand with all of it. That's enough for me...

As far as Reilly...well I'm not really for just changing an established pedigree name. Will lead to too much confusion...we already have enough confusion with all the "collections" running around masquerading as pedigrees...

Jim

To be honest, i've always heard Church mentioned as frequently as I have Mile High when talking about the collection. I've never gotten it confused with the MH2 find...in fact if I saw "Mile High" I always thought about the Church collection first.

Frankly I couldn't care less about what they call it...doesn't matter to me either way. I know what the collection is, it's history, and it's significance in the hobby. And Church's name goes hand in hand with all of it. That's enough for me...

As far as Reilly...well I'm not really for just changing an established pedigree name. Will lead to too much confusion...we already have enough confusion with all the "collections" running around masquerading as pedigrees...

Jim

Agreed...instead of changing names, people should just educate others regarding the history and significance of the find.

Describe your books as MH on e-bay and 75% of the audience knows what type of books you have. I'm not sure calling them "Edgar Church' books has the same effect.

I'd agree with you if it was thirty years ago,but too much time has pased,imo.

Besides ,if you were to call these books Edgar Church books,there would be no MH collection,so the MH2 books wouldn't need to carry a "2" on them,totally confusing everyone.

Jim

893naughty-thumb.gif Reilly...not O'Reily. I used to make the same mistake(until someone in the GA forum slapped me upside the head).

foreheadslap.gif but you get my point. No one else seems be upset about the names of the other pedigrees. Me thinks it's more of a personal issue with Chuck! confused-smiley-013.gif

Remarkably that is perfectly correct. It is about Chuck himself more than the pedigree.

Jim

Yes, I do get your point, and it may be that some folks just have a personal issue with Chuck. Or, it may be that CGC opened this can of worms by designating the books as Edgar Church/Mile High Copy, rather than just Mile High Copy..

Well maybe its time to start naming them after the owners, if the owners are known!

Do you mean newly discovered pedigree collections, or are suggesting that establlshed pedigree names be changed?

Honestly, I don't see why not both. Where possible give credit where credit is due.

It isn't that radical an idea, either. CGC suddenly eliminated the use of the Alpha grades (G, VG, etc) and went soley with the numeric grade. It raised some flack but the alpha grades have been in use longer than any pedigree collection.

It isn't that radical an idea, either. CGC suddenly eliminated the use of the Alpha grades (G, VG, etc) and went soley with the numeric grade. It raised some flack but the alpha grades have been in use longer than any pedigree collection.

That's a terrible example. The major pedigrees are more ingrained in the hobby psyche than the tinkering of CGC labels.

Jim