• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need helping with learning about horror comics

43 posts in this topic

Hey guys I'm starting to slowly take advice from my road to success journal and I want to learn more about comics I don't know about horror being one of them.

I know absolutely nothing about horror but I know what I want

I want to find a list of the most valuable horror comics or if you guys have any suggestions on where to find them I would appreciate that. :)

There are 3 excellent threads here in gold that cover almost every PCH comic.

Recent Pre Code purchases

The Undead Thread

Show Us Your Atlas Books

Just going through these 3 will answer 99% of your questions! (thumbs u

There are 3 excellent threads here in gold that cover almost every PCH comic.

Recent Pre Code purchases

The Undead Thread

Show Us Your Atlas Books

Just going through these 3 will answer 99% of your questions! (thumbs u

ok thanks I'll check them out :)

Another learning experience is to go to eBay and search Golden Age, Horror and sci fi and check completed sales with "Highest price" as the filter. Over a year's time, you can learn a great deal about the market. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

.... remember that the horror market ( with a few exceptions...) does not function like the "key" market. It's mostly collector driven and if the active players aren't looking for what you have, despite how cool it may seem to you, you can experience slow or unpredictable sales. You will not usually encounter the robust "flippers flipping to flippers" market that exists in the "hot" comics market. Many of them are incredibly cool, however, and you may find yourself just wanting to keep them. :insane:

Another learning experience is to go to eBay and search Golden Age, Horror and sci fi and check completed sales with "Highest price" as the filter. Over a year's time, you can learn a great deal about the market. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

.... remember that the horror market ( with a few exceptions...) does not function like the "key" market. It's mostly collector driven and if the active players aren't looking for what you have, despite how cool it may seem to you, you can experience slow or unpredictable sales. You will not usually encounter the robust "flippers flipping to flippers" market that exists in the "hot" comics market. Many of them are incredibly cool, however, and you may find yourself just wanting to keep them. :insane:

Thanks I'll keep that in mind and I'm not a fan or horror unless you count wwbn ;)

One thing you should know is that most horror books go for 5 times guide. I just happen to have some of those I can sell you for only 4 times guide... :gossip::baiting:

haha good one I may not know horror but I know that's not true but there are exceptions of going over gpa :) if someone wants it badly enough

Btw: an interesting thing regarding Pre Code Horror comics is that they were (along with crime comics) instrumental in bringing up the creation of the comics code authority CCA. There is a rich history tied to these Pre Code books that changed the course of the publishing industry.

Btw: an interesting thing regarding Pre Code Horror comics is that they were (along with crime comics) instrumental in bringing up the creation of the comics code authority CCA. There is a rich history tied to these Pre Code books that changed the course of the publishing industry.

haha I read a bit about that

Regarding horror books:

1. Many collect books that they like. One book appeals to one person but not necessarily to another.

2. Then there are the books that appeal to everyone, these books are multiples of guide ( example: Crimesuspenstories 22 )

In addition to what has been said I highly recommend you check out the Gerber volumes, easy to browse near complete image library.

GoldenGoodnessGroup_zpsb572c233.jpg

Regarding horror books:

1. Many collect books that they like. One book appeals to one person but not necessarily to another.

2. Then there are the books that appeal to everyone, these books are multiples of guide ( example: Crimesuspenstories 22 )

In addition to what has been said I highly recommend you check out the Gerber volumes, easy to browse near complete image library.

Would make a great bed cover don't you think!

Many years ago when I collected pre-code horror I made a list of all the precode titles with Publisher, issue numbers, date began/eneded etc. It is still on mediafire as an excel spreadsheet here:

http://www.mediafire.com/view/vdi2c5k6iwca22c/precodehorrorlist.xls

If you want to read some pre-code classics, I'd recommend (apart from the obvious EC Archives) Tales Too Terrible To Tell, along with Marvel Masterworks reprints of key PCH Atlas such as Menace and Strange Tales.

This forum is probably the best resource there is, but for useful primers to get you started there's also Comic Book Marketplace magazine, that often featured articles on pre-code (and where I first learned that it was more than just E.C.). It was a big influence on my pre-code collecting.

$_12.JPG

Many years ago when I collected pre-code horror I made a list of all the precode titles with Publisher, issue numbers, date began/eneded etc. It is still on mediafire as an excel spreadsheet here:

http://www.mediafire.com/view/vdi2c5k6iwca22c/precodehorrorlist.xls

wow I really appreciate that this makes it much easier to have it in one place :)

Regarding horror books:

Thanks I'll check it out

There are 2 things to remember in collecting PCH.

Girls and skulls. Sex and death. That's my cardinal rule.

It's much simpler than that. Pre-code horror can be boiled down to two letters: EC :insane:

Not at all. There are many great non-EC comics in the horror genre. EC did not have much bondage and although beautifully rendered, there are other horror covers with much more psychotic intent.