• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Auction vs BIN

29 posts in this topic

I only do BIN with a best offer available. I might price it a little high, but I will always come down to a price I am comfortable with. I used to do auctions when ebay had featured auctions. I would put up one big book and that would lead them to my lower end books. That was usually a win win situation for me.

Also, does your mentality change with reserved auctions.

Even if you don't know what that reserved is? I can recall cases where people don't bid, just because the auction had a blind reserve. Shouldn't your mentality be the same if its a book that you want?

Place your max (snipe) bid...and see you in 3, 5 or 7 days.

:popcorn:

I only do BIN with a best offer available. I might price it a little high, but I will always come down to a price I am comfortable with. I used to do auctions when ebay had featured auctions. I would put up one big book and that would lead them to my lower end books. That was usually a win win situation for me.

Featured auctions?

Refresh my memory. How exactly did this work again?

Thanks,

I list slabbed comics on E-Bay with the intent of moving around half of them, and the BIN format isn't the best for doing that. By auctioning books with set starting prices ranging from a bit below to right at their projected fair market value, I get plenty of sales, but not so many that the shipping burden is overwhelming.

Quite a few boardies have been in the game for quite sometime. You have probably seen quite a few rants on crazy BIN prices or shilled auctions. But if you take a step back and really examine your purchases throughout the years, if you had to go with one format, which would it be?

Auction or Buy It Now? Why?

Im not looking for a poll, but real insight on why you think one is better over the other.

I only buy about 5% of my books on E-Bay but when I do its usually an impulse auction or a book I need to fill a run. I usually look at all the BIN books to see if any are in my range and then try a couple auctions to see if I can beat the BINs. If the auction route doesn't pan out then I start making offers or PMing sellers to see if they will come down a bit.

As a seller I alternate between auctions that start at the price I want and BINs. Why not try every avenue available to move books at FMV.