• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Manga/Anime

83 posts in this topic

Try Samurai Champloo, Psycho Pass, and one I just heard about - Darker Than Black.

The first is a Feudal-era Japanese setting story overlayed with hip-hop music that really does make the cartoon what it is. The 2nd is sorta cyber-punkish, and the 3rd is a super-hero-ish type story.

Whether or not if you have seen the Akira movie, I definitley recommend reading the manga! It's so much more... it's just so much more!!!

-slym

Chrono War by Kazumasa Takayama (if you can still find them) – in the US you lucky guys have had also volume 2. :)

If you liked Tezuka, I would advise Black Jack (I believe you have a US edition), and selected Astro Boy stories from the Dark Horse edition (they are not in chronological order).

Just ready GYO by Junji Ito last night. Weird as all hell. The hardcover includes some fun shorts, too.

The Monster books by Naoki Urasawa are fantastic so far, too.

Can't go wrong with Samurai Executioner either.

If you're into the slower side of things and you don't mind reading teen angst, try A Silent Voice. Volume 3 comes out later this month.

I just finished watching Attack on Titan and am about to pick up the Manga for the series. Any recommendations for other Anime or Manga for me to watch or read?

I've also read Buddha by Osamu Tezuka which was great.

Anime

CowboyBebopDVDBoxSet.jpg

1274129001960_f.jpg

With Manga the two benchmarks are

Akira_Volume_1_Cover_Japanese_Version_(Manga).jpg

Lone_Wolf_manga.jpg

I can't really argue with any of your suggestions (thumbs u

The Monster books by Naoki Urasawa are fantastic so far, too.

Volumes 1 & 2 on my book shelf right now.

For fun, Food Wars is nice. It's a food battle manga and it's recent so you can catch up easily.

Death Note is such a drag reading. Hopefully the anime flows better than the text heavy manga.

Bakuman I love b/c it tries to be a battle manga with manga series being the battle element and the manga tries to represent all traditional manga styles: battle, romantic, comedy, etc. all rolled into one.

Viz signature is releasing Master Keaton from the '80's and it's a great stream of done in one stories that are sometimes mystery, sometimes slice of life and rooted in contemporary '80's issues. Volume 4 just came out of a proposed 12 volumes compilation. Reminiscent of Martin Mystery in a sense.

Vinland Saga if you're interested in Viking-ish stuff.

Of course, Lone Wolf & Cub if you haven't read that.

one piece (both)

food wars is a fun anime Shokugeki no Soma is the jap name

magi is a fun anime but it's canceled, the manga is still going

assassination classroom is another fun anime

haven't watched it but god eaters artwork is amazing and very high quality (it looks good though)

I have the live action movie for Attack on Titan and a lot of anime.

I am a very picky anime watcher and these are most of the best ones of what I have.

You can also find a lot of eng dub anime on Youtube to watch for free.

Best place for manga books is Half Price Books. The one here does a lot of $2.00 clearances.

Ruin Explorers

Legend of Crystania

Castle in the Sky

Fullmetal Alchemist- The Sacred Star of Milos

Howls Moving Castle

Princess Mononoke

Spirited Away

Tales From Earthsea

The Secret World of Arrietty

A Certain Magical Index

BTOOOM!

Ghost Hunt

Ghost Slayers Ayashi

Kaze no Stigma

Kino's Journey

Last Exile

Log Horizon Series

Moribito

Naruto Shippuden Season 1 - 14

Record of Lodoss War

Shounen Onmyouji

Solty Rei

sword art online

The Tower Of Druaga

Tweeny Witches

Tenga Toppa Gurren Lagann is my anime recommendation. While it can seem a bit over the top at times, it's a story with a lot of heart and a strong message of doing whatever it takes to accomplish your goals in life which is something I very much try to achieve.

I haven't read a ton of manga but here's my opinion.

Anything by Tokyopop or Viz is best avoided. I think I bought 40 titles from either publisher at a closeout once, it was all the typical stuff full of manga tropes I hate.

Most of the stuff reprinted by Eclipse in the 80's was cool.

Akira and Lone Wolf And Cub are worth reading.