• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DocDave Frazetta Auction

222 posts in this topic

Thanks Gene! Everybody is up early here in Calabasas. We got some coverage in the Hollywood Reporter yesterday. Last week was the full ad in the NY Times, unprecedented for a single auction genre artist. Many people have come to preview the art including a few top shelf celebrities yesterday that spent two hours looking carefully at everything. Lots of fun!! Great discussions. Auction privacy rules prevent me from mentioning their names.

The only problem has been the lack of auction catalogs. They sold out very quickly and now everyone wants one, or want to buy extra ones. Bud Plant sold out immediately. I understand that Stuart Ng still has a few copies available. Check his bookseller site.

Adios for now.

DocDave

I just tuned in...haven't seen all the prices yet, but, what I do see looks STRONG...

Congrats, Dave!!!

Yes, strong, with the exception of the Lord of the Rings piece which I thought was one of the best and would not have been surprised if it had gotten close to 100k. But Doc Dave must be pleased overall!

Scott

I just tuned in...haven't seen all the prices yet, but, what I do see looks STRONG...

Congrats, Dave!!!

Yes, strong, with the exception of the Lord of the Rings piece which I thought was one of the best and would not have been surprised if it had gotten close to 100k. But Doc Dave must be pleased overall!

Scott

Was thinking exactly the same - that one was definitely one of the better buys of the auction.

I really loved that Kubla Khan piece ("Kubla's Anguish"), but I suspected that I would get blown out on it, so I didn't bid. It went for even more than the Lord of the Rings piece, so I don't feel so bad about missing out on it.

I hadn't bid online at PIH in the past. I notice they don't have a way to turn off the bid button like HA does. I hate that, freaks me out watching the bidding online and having that big bid button , I am afraid I will accidentally hit it for $16K or some crazy amount. Wish there was a way to watch the live bidding and turn off the button.

Hmm...I've won a few auctions at Profiles and could have sworn you had to activate the bid button. I was bidding on the iPhone app though, which is likely different than the full site.

Congrats, Dave!!!

Scott

Was thinking exactly the same - that one was definitely one of the better buys of the auction.

I really loved that Kubla Khan piece ("Kubla's Anguish"), but I suspected that I would get blown out on it, so I didn't bid. It went for even more than the Lord of the Rings piece, so I don't feel so bad about missing out on it.

Kubla's anguish was one of other faves too. Great minds and all that.

Scott

WOW! $3,125 is the most for a Al Williamson Secret Agent.

Hi, Brian.

Hard to believe, but that's incorrect. In fact, it's not even close.

You are right there was a single panel Secret Agent Lost World with a Dinosaur went for $6K. Still $3,125 is alot.

So it looks like there is a lot of love for Frazetta, and the market has spoken. I wondered if so much Frazetta material coming to auction at the same time would soften the prices on the lessor pieces but it would appear not (we all knew the good stuff would be strong, right?). I'm a broken record in that I always marvel how this little hobby keeps chugging along the way it does and wondering aloud who all these buyers are. When will the madness end?! :insane:

Scott

So it looks like there is a lot of love for Frazetta, and the market has spoken. I wondered if so much Frazetta material coming to auction at the same time would soften the prices on the lessor pieces but it would appear not (we all knew the good stuff would be strong, right?). I'm a broken record in that I always marvel how this little hobby keeps chugging along the way it does and wondering aloud who all these buyers are. When will the madness end?! :insane:

Scott

Ditto!