• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Worst deal you ever got?

20 posts in this topic

I bought a Silver Surfer #1 for what I thought was a fair price. Sold it on the boards to a person and that person didn't agree…I foolhardily tried to refuse a refund and it didn't work out in everyone best interest…so I lost out.

But what I learned in buying and selling respect…priceless!

This awesome UNRESTORED Flash 123 from Ed Heaton for I think $700. He wouldn't issue a refund. I had to open a dispute. From what I heard I was the third person he sold this book to.

Left - Normal light

Right - Near UV black light

Note about photography in UV or near UV. Most modern lenses are coated to block UV so exposure times increase A LOT to get a photo.

Restored-Flash-123-Medium.jpg

At the dawn of the internet, I came across an auction for a Sandman statue.

The original was selling for about $500, and this one had a BIN of $200 so I hit the BIN. Only after I received it did I realize there was a second statue released, and the one I paid $200 was easily available for about $100 bucks.

I'd been taking a sabbatical from the business and it wasn't all that much money to lose, but it made me feel pretty stupid.

This awesome UNRESTORED Flash 123 from Ed Heaton for I think $700. He wouldn't issue a refund. I had to open a dispute. From what I heard I was the third person he sold this book to.

Left - Normal light

Note about photography in UV or near UV. Most modern lenses are coated to block UV so exposure times increase A LOT to get a photo.

I am agog, sir. :flamed:

Daddy,

This one time many years ago...

I bought a comic for $60 subbed it via a 3rd party for $75 and then....traded it for $50 credit towards another purchase.

:sorry:

:applause:

I can absolutely commiserate.

I certainly didn't buy an ASM 667 Dell Otto variant that seems to be very very rare , :eyeroll: for the handsome sum of 2 thousand dollars. lol

Thank heavens that you didn't do something so fool hardy.

:sumo:

:tonofbricks:

I one bought an IH181 for $450, supposed to be in a higher grade (8.5 or so, IIRC).

Got a .5-1.0 copy with holes in it. Contacted buyer, his "wife" said he was killed while in Russia, and I got the run-around until they stopped contacting me.

Matt Edwards, of Houston, TX - I will find you. I know you aren't dead.

:mad:

-slym

Here's my boomerang story!

Sometimes things work out...

I was disgruntled for many years over this until I learned to make it right...

I over payed for a Iron Fist 14 9.4 graded old label as my first significant purchase of a CGC book off ebay back in '02 for $360 (because the auction was shilled). The jerk that sold it made no effort to package it and the slab was busted all to hell. In my shame of over paying and being so green I threw it into the closet and forgot about it....

Two years ago it was cracked, pressed and re-subbed and it came back a 9.8!

I then sold it for 1,1k! Not bad for 10 years of pizzin' and moaning!

:whee:

Left - Normal light

:o

Bought an oz that weighed 27g!!

No, I think spending in excess of £1200 in one sitting with 'collectors comics'... Then having them turn up in beat bags and boards and a feeling of great regret at spending so much money on so many random books.

That was when I first started collecting, I had no focus at all and little idea how to grade properly, I got well and truly caught up in auction fever!

Left - Normal light

That thing lit up like the bed in a cheap motel room :sick:

I bought a batman 227, well traded a 9.6 spiderman 238 for it and got a x men 137 with the bat book. Was scanning it for the please grade me thread and damaged the cover. I sold the book to KPR for $20 so lost a good deal on it

I still have it oldb.

Dave

My worst deal in recent memory was:

I was selling my Wolverine 1 CGC 9.8 w/ WHITE pages locally a year ago and someone contacted me wanting to trade a ASM 300 CGC 9.2 w/ WHITE pages.

Another guy contacted me and wanted to trade 3 raw books:

Black Panther 1

ASM 162

Batman 357

I saw some pics and they looked good - must have been very flattering pics

(he claimed that all were 9.6's and 9.8's, and that he'd submitted books before and always been bang on with his grading)

I took the latter offer (declined the ASM 300), thinking that I could make some good money flipping these.

When I received them, they were VF's (nice books), Not NM+'s (money making books)

I got ripped on that deal.