• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ASM 14 and Stamps

11 posts in this topic

I related in another post which talked about date stamps how a friend of mine had an ASM 14 with 6 store stamps. Scans are attached I was just curious to know what everyone thought about this book.

ASM14back.jpg

ASM14front.jpg

I related in another post which talked about date stamps how a friend of mine had an ASM 14 with 6 store stamps. Scans are attached I was just curious to know what everyone thought about this book.

ASM14back.jpg

ASM14front.jpg

foreheadslap.gif Was 6 stamps really nescessary to put on that book....

Its just an interesting book to grade, or try to grade - since I've held it and had a good look, I can add additional comments.

The back cover is really nice, aside from the stamps and the ink over spray on the top right corner.

The front cover has some noticable spine wear, but the corners are pretty solid and the surface wear is minimal, except for the right corner crease which does break color. Gloss and reflectivity are highly retained.

The pages are Off-White and the spine wear at the staples does not extend to the centerfold, which is secure, with no tears. Overall the surface wear aside from the spine is failry minimal.

Of the 3 stamps on the front cover, the interesting one is the Vertical One in the middle - The one with just the name in black. I was specualting as to whether this may have been done with a type writer, as it does not look like a stamp at all.

Anyway the book was advertised as a Fine (6.0) on Ebay, with sketchy Scans. He took a chance and when he got it I think the Cover gloss and general lack of wear and the back cover were all pleasant surprises. There was more spine wear than showed up on the scan. But the Stamps were the kicker, I just shook my head not knowing how 6 would impact the grade. I told him that based on the wear I thought it was a Fine, but with the stamps maybe VG/F. Anyway one of the more interesting books I've tried to assess a grade to so I thought I would post it here.

Nice book, jbud. I don't think the name stamps really bring it down in this grade range, IMO. I'd probably call it a FN- or VG/FN worst case soley as a result of the wear to the book. The spine is tough for me to see against that light gray background, so it might be a little cleaner than I think it is.

As FFB said, it does want to make me beat Gene Johnson's [#@$%!!!], but I wouldn't mind owning that book. thumbsup2.gif

I just realized that I forgot to grade the book. foreheadslap.gifscrewy.gif

With the trauma to the upper left corner, spine wear, other general edge and corner wear, and the long crease in the LRC, I think that it is too worn for a FN and maybe too worn for a VG/FN. Like Jim said, I'm not sure the stamps affect the grade much at this level. I'd probably go with VG+ if the gloss is good, VG/FN at the best if the book has really good gloss and feels tight structurally.

The condition that book is in would not be overly effected by all of the stamps. Maybe knock it down by .5 or something.

But yes, that is overkill.