• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Edmonton Expo Sept 25-27 brief con report

27 posts in this topic

The Edmonton Expo Sept. 25th - 27th 2015 this weekend was definitely interesting.

I usually do the comic cons with my friends and board members Kimik, 500club and thehumantorch and this year we shared a 4 table booth:

edm%20expo%20booth_zpsswsnotod.jpg

Here was my setup:

20150925_150306_zpsgnqanmi9.jpg

20150925_150245_zpszliijbxd.jpg

My friend Dave (thehumantorch) booked a trip to Italy over this show so I was selling our books/ my books / Dave's books solo. I asked a friend of mine to help me out, he unfortunately knows absolutely nothing about comics but I was glad he was there to help out and watch the booth.

Friday was awful, extremely slow, although Dave sold several of his keys including Avengers 1, Avengers 4, and ASM 300.

Saturday was extremely busy and our jointly owned books sold well.

Sunday was my day for a comeback and I did well most notably selling my golden aged Captain America 75 weird tales cgc 5.5.

Cap75.jpg

The highlights of the show for me: my friend and fellow board member Fantastic Thor offered to go through the Stan Lee signing lineup as he was getting his SOTI book Stan Lee signed ( Cool! ). I gave Thor 2 of the drawings I have done to get signed:

The first a drawing of Spiderman:

MDS00156_zpsiwxj9fek.jpg

The second a recreation page of FF 112 I did. FF 112 was the very first comic I ever bought when I was a kid and this is my favorite page from the book.

MDS00157_zpsfpaurv8x.jpg

Thanks again Fantastic Thor for offering to help me get these signed!

One of my friends/ fellow comic vendors talked to me on Saturday at dinner about getting Stan Lee signatures on some of his comics, infact he was doing 20 comics.

One of Stan Lee's handlers/ helpers was in my booth checking out my Cap 75 weird tales book but he didn't have the cash to buy it and he offered me a partial cash +6 Stan Lee signatures deal. I declined because the Stan Lee signatures wont' do much for me as I am not a signature fan on my comics, but after hearing my friend was looking to get some 20 comics signed the idea popped into my head that since he was going to be going through the Stan Lee signature line to get his books done maybe he could get one item done for me and we would take advantage of the offer made by the Stan Lee handler. I did decide to get my near mint unfilled Marvel Value Stamp booklet signed. After Stan signs they are also putting on a signature authentication sticky if you wanted it so I got that done to. I am very happy to have this signature, maybe one of a kind?

MDS00158_zpsb1ilqevz.jpg

While not the best Edmonton Expo show for comic sales, it is one of the best for the highlights thanks to these signature items. I think it is likely the last chance for me to have the opportunity to get Stan's signatures on these as I doubt he ever returns to Alberta Canada.

To those who are hoping for another legendary multi page uploading of hundreds of gorgeous babes in cosplay outfits I am sorry to say that I tried to take some pictures but they all turned out very blurry. Perhaps I was shaking very badly for some reason as Kimik teased me about as I showed him the pics I was getting. A few turned out okay like this one:

20150927_132654_zpsxsudt64t.jpg

But most were horrible unfortunately. Here is an example:

20150927_113729_zpsesvbo5jz.jpg

I think it was because I normally bring my higher quality camera, this year I just used my phone and 99% of the pictures are horrible so I am not going to bother posting them. Which is to bad as there were some spectacular costumes this year.

Thanks for watching my half of the booth Karl. You did so well for me that I think I'll go away for every show.

Likely the fuzzy pictures are because the phone camera isn't very good. I had a similar problem when I relied on my iphone 4 camera at last year's Calgary Expo.

The problem was due to him taking pics with one hand................

The girl in the first picture picked up a WD 109 blank from me for her dad to sketch on. She has bought blank variants from us before for that as well.

She had an interesting suggestion for a Michael Rooker signature.........

The girl in the first picture picked up a WD 109 blank from me for her dad to sketch on. She has bought blank variants from us before for that as well.

It was great to see everyone at the show!

Involving a body part or parts?

HEY! (tsk)

She was rather crass, but funny at the same time and I enjoyed talking with her. She asked if Rooker would pay HER to have "them" signed and I replied that Rooker might, he is a pretty cool and fun guy.

She returned to the booth an hour later to tell me he didn't go for it as she was signature-less. lol

Can't you see she has already made a signature window.

Also a big thank you to Piper, he also helped out at our booth on Saturday. My knowledge-less friend who helped asked me to specifically thank you for helping him out. I guess there were several moments where he needed help and he said you "swooped in and saved the day" with your very impressive knowledge. Thanks for the help John.

Also a big thank you to Piper, he also helped out at our booth on Saturday. My knowledge-less friend who helped asked me to specifically thank you for helping him out. I guess there were several moments where he needed help and he said you "swooped in and saved the day" with your very impressive knowledge. Thanks for the help John.

No worries. I enjoyed hanging out with you and would have helped out Sunday but had to catch a flight. I'm totally feeling jet lagged but stumbled across Forbidden Planet in London and went in. :blush:

Not a single back issue to be found.... Sigh. :tonofbricks:

PS - love the photo of your "friend" .

No worries. I enjoyed hanging out with you and would have helped out Sunday but had to catch a flight. I'm totally feeling jet lagged but stumbled across Forbidden Planet in London and went in. :blush:

I wish the other pics turned out, I got some extremely blurry pics of a few Harley Quinns ( one was very tall and she was gorgeous) a Catwoman, a Wonder Woman and what was my favorite was the tall Mystique ( she was so beautiful )

doh!

heh, now that you mention it.....

I wish the other pics turned out, I got some extremely blurry pics of a few Harley Quinns ( one was very tall and she was gorgeous) a Catwoman, a Wonder Woman and what was my favorite was the tall Mystique ( she was so beautiful )

doh!

Post the blurry photos. I'll get a little tipsy and they'll come into focus.

HEY! (tsk)

She was rather crass, but funny at the same time and I enjoyed talking with her. She asked if Rooker would pay HER to have "them" signed

heheh probably just had her boobs done in the last year or two and is getting off on all the attention

heh, now that you mention it.....

And that would have totally garnered the"nice sig placement" feedback!

Likely the fuzzy pictures are because the phone camera isn't very good. I had a similar problem when I relied on my iphone 4 camera at last year's Calgary Expo.

The problem with the pics is the exposure / flash combo you are using.

Longer exposure times for poor lighting cause the camera to catch more movement causing the blurriness.

You need to either steady your hand or change the exposure. Or use the automatic feature if your phone has it and it should adjust.

Thanks for the report, guys!

You need to either steady your hand or change the exposure. Or use the automatic feature if your phone has it and it should adjust.

Or increase the ISO (I wouldn't go above 800, but normally 400 will do the trick).

Or increase the ISO (I wouldn't go above 800, but normally 400 will do the trick).

Yep. In old school terms it was called exposure.

400 is generally a decent one for most types of lighting.