• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The "New Forum" Discussion Thread

509 posts in this topic

My usual one-trick pony: a much more versatile ignore function, that makes it so that 1. My posts can't be seen by those I have on ignore (and vice versa, of course) and 2. my posts can't be seen even when quoted.

Excellent idea, force other people to ignore me because I'm ignoring them! That way, if there is someone who annoys me by pointing out when I'm wrong, I can just put them on ignore and BAM, I'm invisible to them!

That way I'm only accountable to those people that I wish to be accountable to. I'm IN!

That is correct.

Would you want me in your living room, trying to engage you during any conversation you were having, responding to everything you had to say, interjecting my comments, and trying to sway the other people in the room, no matter how reasonable I thought I was being...? And what about the many who aren't trying to be reasonable (as many no doubt view both you and me)...?

This isn't the military, nor is it prison, nor is it a monastery, nor is it a government. No one has an inherent right to hold anyone else accountable here, other than the administrators. That doesn't mean they can't...but at some point, you just say "you know, Member X isn't really doing it for me...so, it's best if they can't see me."

It would make for much peace.

A member and myself might disagree on one issue, but I may find value in their posts beyond that topic. Why should I be cut off from the other conversations?

My usual one-trick pony: a much more versatile ignore function, that makes it so that 1. My posts can't be seen by those I have on ignore (and vice versa, of course) and 2. my posts can't be seen even when quoted.

Excellent idea, force other people to ignore me because I'm ignoring them! That way, if there is someone who annoys me by pointing out when I'm wrong, I can just put them on ignore and BAM, I'm invisible to them!

That way I'm only accountable to those people that I wish to be accountable to. I'm IN!

Yeah, I didn't understand that part. If someone puts me on "ignore" why should I be unable to see their posts, particularly if I don't have any issues with that person?

There was a reason that person put you on ignore, whether you have any reciprocal issues with them or not. They don't want to engage you. Since this isn't a cage death match, but rather a message board, and engaging in bloody battles to the virtual death leads to strikes and bans no matter WHO is at fault, it's best to simply not have the ability to interact at all.

There are many people on this board who make it a point to try and engage those who have them on ignore, because they can still see those posts. The current ignore function is much like being in a room and putting your hands over your ears. You may not be able to hear what that person is saying, but everyone else can, and the one ignored can hear, and respond to, you just fine.

This wouldn't be a perfect solution, but it's a step in the right direction.

That is correct.

Would you want me in your living room, trying to engage you during any conversation you were having, responding to everything you had to say, interjecting my comments, and trying to sway the other people in the room, no matter how reasonable I thought I was being...? And what about the many who aren't trying to be reasonable (as many no doubt view both you and me)...?

This isn't the military, nor is it prison, nor is it a monastery, nor is it a government. No one has an inherent right to hold anyone else accountable here, other than the administrators. That doesn't mean they can't...but at some point, you just say "you know, Member X isn't really doing it for me...so, it's best if they can't see me."

A member and myself might disagree on one issue, but I may find value in their posts beyond that topic. Why should I be cut off from the other conversations?

Because some people cannot control themselves. Why should you benefit from someone who doesn't want to interact with you? (The general "you", I think you're just fine.)

And you can still participate in those conversations...just not with the person ignoring you.

It will undoubtedly make some conversations confusing for a time, but all will adjust.

That is correct.

Absolutely, because conversations on these boards are just like being in my living room, where - hopefully - only people i have invited in are allowed to be part of the conversation. If this was a public venue, that would be a different story, but thankfully it isn't.

I've never put anyone on ignore here (or anywhere else I've participated), but if it worked like my own personal cloak of invisibility, hell YEAH! It would be like we were on Oprah - "And YOU get a BanHammer, and YOU get a BanHammer, and YOU get a BanHammer, EVERYBODY GETS A PERSONAL BANHAMMER!!!!"

Like I said, count me IN! (thumbs u

My usual one-trick pony: a much more versatile ignore function, that makes it so that 1. My posts can't be seen by those I have on ignore (and vice versa, of course) and 2. my posts can't be seen even when quoted. I suspect even that will have a workaround by copying and pasting, but that would require more effort than most people would be willing to put in most of the time, and most would eventually give up. Whatever's left could be dealt with by moderation, and there wouldn't be much left if it was (as always) rigorously enforced.

It's like walking on the convention floor, but not having to deal with people I don't like/who don't like me. I can have conversations with my friends without having to deal with unwanted commentary from others (and vice versa.)

It's a workable solution, and might even improve relationships over time by not having that constant irritation, and after a while, wondering what the fuss was all about, allowing for space to patch things up.

This would really cut down on the entertainment value of this, or any, forum.

:taptaptap:;)

• Administrator
One thing I wish the forum here had, is how the new posts show up.

On many other forums for other hobbies I have, the posts show as being unread until I actually click on them to read them.

On here all I have to do is be on this page, then close my browser - to come back later when I get a chance to do more reading, and all the unchanged posts will be marked as being read, even though I had not clicked on or read them.

Also if I somehow was logged out, when I log in all the posts show as being read when I log in.

Maybe I am doing something in error or do not have an option set up correctly, but it only seems to happen on the Collectors Society forums.

Just a minor pet peeve. Anyways I like the forums here and enjoy the stories.

Big +1 to this.

Also a proper, easy to use Search function. :pullhair:

And a Search function for PMs. :cloud9:

I think this is an issue with your cookies, and is usually fixed by resetting them at this link with the expire button. (Note, that should log you out, so you will have to log back in)

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=mycookies

On many other forums for other hobbies I have, the posts show as being unread until I actually click on them to read them.

On here all I have to do is be on this page, then close my browser - to come back later when I get a chance to do more reading, and all the unchanged posts will be marked as being read, even though I had not clicked on or read them.

Also if I somehow was logged out, when I log in all the posts show as being read when I log in.

Maybe I am doing something in error or do not have an option set up correctly, but it only seems to happen on the Collectors Society forums.

Big +1 to this.

Also a proper, easy to use Search function. :pullhair:

And a Search function for PMs. :cloud9:

I think this is an issue with your cookies, and is usually fixed by resetting them at this link with the expire button. (Note, that should log you out, so you will have to log back in)

tumblr_inline_my8r8wUwMr1rllgme.gif

Big +1 to this.

Thank you!

That is correct.

(thumbs u

That is correct.

An ignore function such as this would perhaps cause certain people to reevaluate some of the nonsense that they dribble and clue them into reality. And to tell the truth, I don't even think a function like that would be widely used. There are people who may post something from time to time that is annoying, however, for the most part, most people that would find themselves the target of such a function are probably really asking for it.

A more stable platform would be high on the list based on the experiences over the months. The search function would be nice as well.

Stronger ignore function - at times the same people asking for this ignore the ignore function we have today, even when they have someone on ignore. So it seems like an misused feature already.

4) Search Engine - It really helps to have a search engine that works well. New members often can't find anything because the current search engine is very limited. Currently, boardies rely on memory, spread sheets and Google search to find things around here. It would be great to have an efficient search engine capable of searching the entirety of the board's history, both old forum and new.

One like the mycomicshop search engine, which works quite well, would be nice. And one for searching PMs.

A PM search function would be so awesome. I can't be the only person who's spent ages looking through pages of PMs to find one.

My usual one-trick pony: a much more versatile ignore function, that makes it so that 1. My posts can't be seen by those I have on ignore (and vice versa, of course) and 2. my posts can't be seen even when quoted. I suspect even that will have a workaround by copying and pasting, but that would require more effort than most people would be willing to put in most of the time, and most would eventually give up. Whatever's left could be dealt with by moderation, and there wouldn't be much left if it was (as always) rigorously enforced.

It's like walking on the convention floor, but not having to deal with people I don't like/who don't like me. I can have conversations with my friends without having to deal with unwanted commentary from others (and vice versa.)

It's a workable solution, and might even improve relationships over time by not having that constant irritation, and after a while, wondering what the fuss was all about, allowing for space to patch things up.

:takeit:

That is correct.

Because some people cannot control themselves. Why should you benefit from someone who doesn't want to interact with you? (The general "you", I think you're just fine.)

And you can still participate in those conversations...just not with the person ignoring you.

It will undoubtedly make some conversations confusing for a time, but all will adjust.

I get what you're saying, but it would be strange to have posts missing in a conversation. I still see more downside then benefit, but yeah, we'd adjust.

That is correct.

Absolutely, because conversations on these boards are just like being in my living room, where - hopefully - only people i have invited in are allowed to be part of the conversation. If this was a public venue, that would be a different story, but thankfully it isn't.

I've never put anyone on ignore here (or anywhere else I've participated), but if it worked like my own personal cloak of invisibility, hell YEAH! It would be like we were on Oprah - "And YOU get a BanHammer, and YOU get a BanHammer, and YOU get a BanHammer, EVERYBODY GETS A PERSONAL BANHAMMER!!!!"

Like I said, count me IN! (thumbs u

By all means, mock if you must, but if you believe it's better to have conflict rather than people who don't get along not interacting with each other, perhaps the CGC board isn't really the place for you?

Out of everyone here, including the banned, there is only one person I would like to have on perma-ignore. It would not be misused.

He said he would send the Lego back when done with it.

16214517122_6203204758.jpg

:ohnoez:

Wait until you see what I am working on. If my next two orders of parts arrive and I have some free time, you may see a sneak peak within a week or two. I actually thought of something cool that I would share with the boards as it is very comic booky type.

Wait until you see what I am working on. If my next two orders of parts arrive and I have some free time, you may see a sneak peak within a week or two. I actually thought of something cool that I would share with the boards as it is very comic booky type.

You tease!

:ohnoez::ohnoez::ohnoez: