• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The "New Forum" Discussion Thread

509 posts in this topic

So, will there be any discussion about any of the other ideas mentioned here?

Just curious.

:popcorn:

Better search capabilities (PM's, individual forums, etc.)

We should move past the ignore function to the obliteration function. Put someone on obliterate and it deletes their existence from the internet for you. Everyone else can see them but the obliterators.

Please feel free to add suggestions.

:lol: :applause:;)

-slym (likes the cut of your jib)

Man, I hope I'm not lumped into this R-Foy business.

That would be super lame.

Bosco, as P/A and silly as it was, at least we managed to have this "endless rant" without resorting to naked viciousness towards each other.

Man.

Man oh man.

I do agree. Although the discussion was such it belabored the topic for us both, nobody threatened the other person. I may disagree on the thinking. That doesn't mean I want to see RMA physically harmed.

Now forcing him to dress as a cosplay Tin Man and having to sing 'I'm A Little Teapot' for one hour for each sentenced he parses when responding to people - that's a different story. There would be years of music to enjoy.

:eek:

:baiting:

What is really unfortunate, and I mean it completely, is that you have no idea how utterly ridiculous you are. All the time.

Always judging people, always with condescension, always correcting even the smallest misstep in anything, always creating confrontation but preaching otherwise. Posting extraordinarily long strings of utter nonsense to pick apart statements always in an attempt to discredit the poster and shifting the argument to unnecessary and illogical ends just so you can "win."

All the time. You are ridiculous all the time, it really is unfortunate.

Seriously, you are the person everyone wishes they could punch through the computer.

You bring zero value here, zero.

You need to be banned.

Wow, seriously?

Do you know that you can be just as obstinate sometimes and it's entirely possible that some people might feel the same way about you (not me, I don't interact with you much).

You need to chill out and just move on if you don't want to read what someone is writing.

I don't doubt that others could have similar feelings about me and maybe I was harsh and went too far with my generalizations; however, I am by no means on the same level as RMA.

There are levels here and I honestly think what and how he posts is among the worst of the very worst on the boards.

However, I will definitely admit my demeanor is by no means beyond reproach and I am human and accept the fact that I should improve this. I really can't make an excuse, but it escalated as he engaged as he usually does and I reacted (and then overreacted). So I own that and as requested, I am "chilling out" (honestly no sarcastic undertones here).

You've made similar mea culpas before and yet here we are again. Maybe you need to look up what accountability means. I don't mean that in a condescending way. I'm totally serious.

What is really unfortunate, and I mean it completely, is that you have no idea how utterly ridiculous you are. All the time.

Always judging people, always with condescension, always correcting even the smallest misstep in anything, always creating confrontation but preaching otherwise. Posting extraordinarily long strings of utter nonsense to pick apart statements always in an attempt to discredit the poster and shifting the argument to unnecessary and illogical ends just so you can "win."

All the time. You are ridiculous all the time, it really is unfortunate.

Seriously, you are the person everyone wishes they could punch through the computer.

You bring zero value here, zero.

You need to be banned.

Wow, seriously?

Do you know that you can be just as obstinate sometimes and it's entirely possible that some people might feel the same way about you (not me, I don't interact with you much).

You need to chill out and just move on if you don't want to read what someone is writing.

I don't doubt that others could have similar feelings about me and maybe I was harsh and went too far with my generalizations; however, I am by no means on the same level as RMA.

There are levels here and I honestly think what and how he posts is among the worst of the very worst on the boards.

However, I will definitely admit my demeanor is by no means beyond reproach and I am human and accept the fact that I should improve this. I really can't make an excuse, but it escalated as he engaged as he usually does and I reacted (and then overreacted). So I own that and as requested, I am "chilling out" (honestly no sarcastic undertones here).

You've made similar mea culpas before and yet here we are again. Maybe you need to look up what accountability means. I don't mean that in a condescending way. I'm totally serious.

In all honesty this is really getting to be ridiculous. I get frustrated with an individual, blow up and apologize to the boards for taking up some extra space around here. Then it is longer the next time until it happens or takes me longer than it did the last time around to reach the same end. Beyond that, what do you expect - this is an internet chat board where frankly the vast majority of this is within the rules (otherwise there would be far more moderation and strikes). What is silly (and continues to justify, unfairly so, others behavior) is the fact that it seems that the only people around here that people want to "spank" are those whose approach is "loud and direct."

However, people that take a different approach (but reach similar ends) via tactics like continual condescension, never-ending nit-picky criticism, soapbox preachiness, continuous use of logical fallacies, walls upon walls of text and insulting people (via "clever" puns, nicknames, abbreviations, etc and calling their faculties into question) are supported.

Look people can get as frustrated with me as they want because I lashed out with a direct "assault" and there is always validity to that. I blew up, it was annoying and took up people's time and thread space. However, if you are going to post judgement on someone for being a jerk you really should do so to everyone who engages in that type behavior - regardless of "how" they do it, because it is all bad.

Accountability shouldn't just be about me improving my posting, it should be about the boards equally providing criticism to all people using all types of confrontation or ill-reputed behavior or none at all. If you are going to pass judgment, it should be on all those who are deserving of it - not just the ones where the offense is most easily recognizable and especially not ignore those who never repent on any level for any of their behavior.

Feel free to respond how you like - but I have to go to work. I hope you and everyone else has a nice day.

Feel free to respond how you like - but I have to go to work. I hope you and everyone else has a nice day.

No need. You'll get no further responses from me. You have a good day as well.

I wish some industrious, enterprising young Boardie would take this same brand of hyperorganizational OCD mania meets Gladys Kravitz level busybodiness over to the WC. That place's a trainwreck in need of overhaul by subforum.

hm Perhaps, the new forum could limit each post to 50 words or less.

It's interesting that you said this, because someone told me the other day that I was approaching 20k in posts and I should be careful.

I said he was correct, I'd slow down;) I actually considered stopping for a while altogether, but something came up that I thought was important.

Right before you posted your 50 word limit, which may or may not have been a joke;) I was thinking more of something like a max of 3K posts a year...but some people just post a word or two, like Kav and Comicopolis, so that's not really fair.

Maybe a limit of 3,000 posts, or 750,000 characters, which seems like a lot. I multiplied 50x 5 (as an average) times 3,000.

What it would do is make some people chose what they post more carefully and perhaps let others speak up. I really think that some people are intimidated by some of the more prolific posters and they stay silent. It's just a guess, but an educated one because over the years, people have mentioned not wanting to wade into some of the discussions for that reason.

There was talk about real estate with the birthday threads, it should hold true with posts as well.

You'd just have to make a choice as you got closer to the end of your limit, but there should be some kind of rolling character counter that you could check.

Most people would never come anywhere near that limit, so it should not affect them at all.

It might make it more enticing for more people to join in.

I don't agree with any limits by user....but maybe if there was some preference to auto-spoiler posts that exceeds a certain size, pretty much an option that would spoiler media and long winded posts for people using phones.

Something that could probably be considered is tweaking quote/reply, currently if you quote someone who has quoted someone else - you get all the prior quoted messages up to 10 before it breaks. I think it might make sense to limit it to only bringing forward the prior posters quote.

To clarify, I'm not taking a shot at the slice & dice posters or their debates - they are doing it manually now and that option shouldn't be removed - I am referring to what the boards automatically bring forward to a quote/reply post.

hm Perhaps, the new forum could limit each post to 50 words or less.

It's interesting that you said this, because someone told me the other day that I was approaching 20k in posts and I should be careful.

I said he was correct, I'd slow down;) I actually considered stopping for a while altogether, but something came up that I thought was important.

Right before you posted your 50 word limit, which may or may not have been a joke;) I was thinking more of something like a max of 3K posts a year...but some people just post a word or two, like Kav and Comicopolis, so that's not really fair.

Maybe a limit of 3,000 posts, or 750,000 characters, which seems like a lot. I multiplied 50x 5 (as an average) times 3,000.

What it would do is make some people chose what they post more carefully and perhaps let others speak up. I really think that some people are intimidated by some of the more prolific posters and they stay silent. It's just a guess, but an educated one because over the years, people have mentioned not wanting to wade into some of the discussions for that reason.

There was talk about real estate with the birthday threads, it should hold true with posts as well.

You'd just have to make a choice as you got closer to the end of your limit, but there should be some kind of rolling character counter that you could check.

Most people would never come anywhere near that limit, so it should not affect them at all.

It might make it more enticing for more people to join in.

What about people like me who pack a lot of punch into every post.

I realize that not all of my nearly 80K posts are totally awesome but most are.

I wish some industrious, enterprising young Boardie would take this same brand of hyperorganizational OCD mania meets Gladys Kravitz level busybodiness over to the WC. That place's a trainwreck in need of overhaul by subforum.

All Arch has to do is give me admin powers and I'll clean this place up in a jiffy

What happened to the Special events poll thread?

Apparently there's been some kind of big shoot out while I was sleeping.

You just answered your own question. :gossip: