• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do we give away too much valuable comic industry information on the boards?

93 posts in this topic

After paying good money to go attend a three day comic convention, I gathered some valuable information (to me at least) about pressing, hot books, working harder vs working smarter and plenty more tid bits. I could turn around and post all of this information on the boards in a Con report (which I love to do) but is there a point it does not make sense to give away all of this information?

We have the what is hot threads, and major dealers like Gator and Dale giving great market reports and Con set up tutorials but isn't that something that could be used by a start up dealer to get a leg up rather then learning the info the hard way? I love the open exchange of information on the boards but I can't think of another profession where people give away so much info (I'd love to get similar info from competitors in the Traffic Engineering field).

This hobby is actually one of the strictest and guarded hobbies to get info about compared to coins,sports cards,action figures and video games.

Those hobbies are a lot easier to break into and make it big.

Most comic book gurus don`t openly discuss their pressing secrets.

The crack and press game is not openly known by the majority of comic book collectors.

After paying good money to go attend a three day comic convention, I gathered some valuable information (to me at least) about pressing, hot books, working harder vs working smarter and plenty more tid bits. I could turn around and post all of this information on the boards in a Con report (which I love to do) but is there a point it does not make sense to give away all of this information?

We have the what is hot threads, and major dealers like Gator and Dale giving great market reports and Con set up tutorials but isn't that something that could be used by a start up dealer to get a leg up rather then learning the info the hard way? I love the open exchange of information on the boards but I can't think of another profession where people give away so much info (I'd love to get similar info from competitors in the Traffic Engineering field).

I'm a very small fish in the pond and even I get the occasional PM asking me where I got my latest batch of books for sale. If I'm getting these questions I can only imagine the questions other people get. How do you personally set what to keep close and what to post up to the public?

You benefit as much as anyone else from people blabbing on the internet. Would you prefer that no one says anything about anything? Everyone benefits from the sharing of information, and it promotes a friendly environment. If you're any good, you already have connections and contacts to buy from, a loyal customer base, and a reputation that says you're okay to deal with. If not, work harder until you do.

I'm not sure what that means.

In other news, please don't mention my name in this thread as it relates to "information"

1 - If I shared anything it should be kept between you and I

2 - nothing I said was of any real value nor do I want the perception to be that I have a value to add. I don't want to be bothered with PMs etc, there was no gossip etc, nor do I want to be associated with anything like that

3 - please refrain from mentioning me and info or allude to anything such things.

thank you.

PM SENT!!! :baiting:

Definitely, people always tend to "give away" too much information on the Internet in general. That’s the nature of forums, weblogs and similar venues. It wasn’t like that with regular sites mantained by people working professionally (or even amateurishly) on certain fields.

Sharing information is essential, but first you have to have the means to evaluate the quality of information found on the Internet (and it is not so easy), and then it is not always appropriate to indiscriminately share things "blindly", which maybe has been the fruit of long research and study.

Not speaking of comics, but replying in general, knowledge about comics and comics history is a specific aspect. Information that might be useful for commercial endeavors is another aspect, but again it’s somewhat intrinsecal to the kind of communication you have in these contexts.

I'm not sure what that means.

In other news, please don't mention my name in this thread as it relates to "information"

1 - If I shared anything it should be kept between you and I

2 - nothing I said was of any real value nor do I want the perception to be that I have a value to add. I don't want to be bothered with PMs etc, there was no gossip etc, nor do I want to be associated with anything like that

3 - please refrain from mentioning me and info or allude to anything such things.

thank you.

PM sent.

I am 100% in favor of information being shared for the good of the hobby. Almost all of the information I have learned on the boards in regards to sales or tricks of the trade has been used for nothing more than just filling my curiousity and admiration for dealers. I see any information used as a pay it forward tool that will be passed on the the next batch of dealers who will take the reigns as dealers retire.

If the hobby is to be sustained and fruitful for all for some time to come I feel sharing information is the best thing to do. For example, "Don't buy hot books" was told to me by several boardies, even dealers. Now that is one piece of information that is extremely valuable to be shared. Sure I learned the hard way a few times but have strived to avoid the "hot" ones for some time now. I asked myself "Why would a dealer tell me this?" The reasons I've come up with were 1) They are a good person. 2) They know that by educating a collector in such a way it is a form of sustaining the industry. Yes it very well be a combination of both but I I along with many others continued to buy books at the highest dollar amount a large number of collectors would be unable to continue and walk away from the hobby unhappy.

The amount of gratitude and respect I have for the individuals who have played a guiding role in my collection is immense. If I have a choice of books to purchase from Dealer A who I have zero experience with or Dealer B who has guided me in some was I will choose Dealer B each time. Plenty of fish are in the sea (eBay) to feel information should not be withheld to fellow boardies. Many boardies are like myself. I do not sell often and any sale I have made for years has been put right back into another purchase and not taken away from the hobby. So looking out for the likes of someone like myself is a very logical business decision for sustaining the hobby IMO.

all PMs replied to :banana:

Thank you for sharing. (worship) I'm actually really surprised that you were so open about all the little secrets of the industry. Plus the naming of names and finger pointing was helpful and intriguing as well. (thumbs u

Perhaps you can consider changing your board name to Sir Spills-A-Lot.

I think one of the biggest issues that happens in this hobby/business is misinformation is spread more often than good information.

Plenty of people trying to hype up books, personal agendas, etc. Furthermore incorrect information is passed along with no responsibility or thought of how this may affect the hobby one way or another. Let alone with little research or fact checking (though some here are great at it and for I one am thankful when they clear up the nonsense)

I was at a booth when this guy was telling customers that Marvel had confirmed the Moon Knight TV show the night before. He was curious on how this would impact the price of WWBN.

I still haven't seen any information on that but plenty of people took that info and ran with it.

Me and Jason (youmechooze) were laughing at all the "terms" like "in the wild" or "undervalued" "potential" folks throw around with no real information to back it up.

Go to the Modern thread and there's plenty of "pump of the volume" going on.

a better question is "do we give too much BAD information"

Hell yes.

Thank you for sharing. (worship) I'm actually really surprised that you were so open about all the little secrets of the industry. Plus the naming of names and finger pointing was helpful and intriguing as well. (thumbs u

Andy and his finger pointing.

Andy and his finger pointing.

we need to take our show to Canada and hit up those conventions. Lots of good books up north.

I'm a very small fish in the pond and even I get the occasional PM asking me where I got my latest batch of books for sale. If I'm getting these questions I can only imagine the questions other people get. How do you personally set what to keep close and what to post up to the public?

You can lead many horses to water, but most don't drink it.

Most people are lazy and not willing to learn.

Same people make money and the same people complain why they don't have any.

I never feel bad for people who are unwillingly to learn especially in an industrial society.

Ever notice how the same people keep finding books. hm

You can lead many horses to water, but most don't drink it.

Most people are lazy and not willing to learn.

Same people make money and the same people complain why they don't have any.

I never feel bad for people who are unwillingly to learn especially in an industrial society.

Ever notice how the same people keep finding books. hm

good to see you again after meeting in chicago. You were tired but hopefully you got some sleep.

I think one of the biggest issues that happens in this hobby/business is misinformation is spread more often than good information.

Plenty of people trying to hype up books, personal agendas, etc. Furthermore incorrect information is passed along with no responsibility or thought of how this may affect the hobby one way or another. Let alone with little research or fact checking (though some here are great at it and for I one am thankful when they clear up the nonsense)

Here's your example :facepalm: