• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do we give away too much valuable comic industry information on the boards?

93 posts in this topic

I think one of the biggest issues that happens in this hobby/business is misinformation is spread more often than good information.

Plenty of people trying to hype up books, personal agendas, etc. Furthermore incorrect information is passed along with no responsibility or thought of how this may affect the hobby one way or another. Let alone with little research or fact checking (though some here are great at it and for I one am thankful when they clear up the nonsense)

Here's your example :facepalm:

Dont hate. the info in my videos are correct.

I don't mind helping out here and there as I have helped people locally and even some people here on the boards with information, but I think there is a point to putting out a lot of information out to all the public. I.e I've helped some one I know here on the boards and some one I know from shows I do and attend how to press comics, but I wouldn't start a thread on it.

I do believe in passing of some info as networking is essential in this field.

I think one of the biggest issues that happens in this hobby/business is misinformation is spread more often than good information.

Plenty of people trying to hype up books, personal agendas, etc. Furthermore incorrect information is passed along with no responsibility or thought of how this may affect the hobby one way or another. Let alone with little research or fact checking (though some here are great at it and for I one am thankful when they clear up the nonsense)

I was at a booth when this guy was telling customers that Marvel had confirmed the Moon Knight TV show the night before. He was curious on how this would impact the price of WWBN.

I still haven't seen any information on that but plenty of people took that info and ran with it.

Me and Jason (youmechooze) were laughing at all the "terms" like "in the wild" or "undervalued" "potential" folks throw around with no real information to back it up.

Go to the Modern thread and there's plenty of "pump of the volume" going on.

a better question is "do we give too much BAD information"

Hell yes.

+1

This forum is very much like a person with dissociative identity disorder (DID), there is some good information here. And that information is really good. But then there are the "heating up threads" and other speculation threads that are being used to spread misinformation. I don't know if the people shoveling the really believe what they are writing sometimes.

If someone is trying to push a book, and it revolves around the behavior or habits of a group of people (Wolverine fans, female readers, cosplayers, etc.) take that information with a huge grain of salt. Someone is trying to sell you something based on a fantasy they made up in their head. They thought it through, the fantasy sounds plausible, but it is still just a fantasy.

IMHO of course.

Truthfully I got a ton of great info from seeing Joey Post make a few deals and how he acts at the con. I don't know him that well but he seems like a class act and treats all the dealers like friends with a ton of respect.

Wow! I've visited some of the organized comic speculation sites and just shake my head at the blatant attempt to dupe other collectors into buying into the hype. This one fits right in with all those others.

Yes it is. "Possibly", "maybe" ....

Everyone benefits from the sharing of information, and it promotes a friendly environment. If you're any good, you already have connections and contacts to buy from, a loyal customer base, and a reputation that says you're okay to deal with. If not, work harder until you do.

I agree. I am stepping away from the dealer aspect of the business and my children want to take over the reins. That is the best advice I have been giving them is what you just said. I've been dealing with people around where I live for 20+ years and have set up some really great contacts and relationships. My children see that and understand how important it is to have that reputation in business. (thumbs u

I was at a booth when this guy was telling customers that Marvel had confirmed the Moon Knight TV show the night before. He was curious on how this would impact the price of WWBN.

I still haven't seen any information on that but plenty of people took that info and ran with it.

Me and Jason (youmechooze) were laughing at all the "terms" like "in the wild" or "undervalued" "potential" folks throw around with no real information to back it up.

Go to the Modern thread and there's plenty of "pump of the volume" going on.

a better question is "do we give too much BAD information"

Hell yes.

As much parttime-dealer to flipper to speculator to specuflipper sales as there are now, the more information, the better. Get that coconut telegraph buzzing - because money!

:ohnoez:

After paying good money to go attend a three day comic convention, I gathered some valuable information (to me at least) about pressing, hot books, working harder vs working smarter and plenty more tid bits. I could turn around and post all of this information on the boards in a Con report (which I love to do) but is there a point it does not make sense to give away all of this information?

We have the what is hot threads, and major dealers like Gator and Dale giving great market reports and Con set up tutorials but isn't that something that could be used by a start up dealer to get a leg up rather then learning the info the hard way? I love the open exchange of information on the boards but I can't think of another profession where people give away so much info (I'd love to get similar info from competitors in the Traffic Engineering field).

I'm a very small fish in the pond and even I get the occasional PM asking me where I got my latest batch of books for sale. If I'm getting these questions I can only imagine the questions other people get. How do you personally set what to keep close and what to post up to the public?

I love to talk about comics, and honestly, if there would have been MORE good dealers at Nashville, I think the show would have been better for the fans, which translates to better shows down the road. I don't mind telling what I sold at a convention. I would imagine that Baltimore might have been a little better for the average seller if there weren't quite so many dealers. That being said, I would love to do Baltimore again (And I will, Mark actually has had my money for tables for 3 years now), but 100 miles to Nashville, especially when I do well there is hard to turn down as opposed to driving 1200 miles to Baltimore. Its not rocket surgery after all.

What I am not going to disclose are my sources for getting material. I am not going to disclose the names of my customers (generally speaking). I am not going to disclose how I determine the way I price the books which are in my inventory. I have books that many would consider both under and over GPA, but I have my own information about what books sell for, as do most other dealers. There are "hot books" that I don't care to sell to customers, because I think they are bad investments at going rates. There are other books that I think are great investments, whether they are hot books or something which is not as hot. There are many books I am sitting on, because I don't think they are ripe yet.

I also love to give people deals on books. Nothing makes me happier than having a customer excited about a deal he got, because I know he's going to come back. And I enjoy interacting with the customer (most of the time), to learn about what he collects and why, and how he got started in the hobby.

This business should be fun, and this hobby should make you happy. If its not, then you're doing it wrong.

No. The most valuable piece of information is how the big dealers acquire their collections, and that information is never given out.

Generally speaking, dealers acquire collections from the guys they sold books to. Not always, but this is a lot of it. You have to have years and years in the trenches. If not, then you need great connections. You also need to treat people well, and be fair with them.

Lots of advertising helps, and if you have the time, searching Craigs list and ebay can work too, but its very labor intensive.

Oh and money.

There are so few that would actually use the advice that you may as well share. Those few will very likely return the favour when they take the advice a bit further. (thumbs u

Do we give away too much valuable comic industry information on the boards?

I dunno about valuable comic industry information, but every now and then someone gives up a little too much personal information.

No. The most valuable piece of information is how the big dealers acquire their collections, and that information is never given out.

Generally speaking, dealers acquire collections from the guys they sold books to. Not always, but this is a lot of it. You have to have years and years in the trenches. If not, then you need great connections. You also need to treat people well, and be fair with them.

Lots of advertising helps, and if you have the time, searching Craigs list and ebay can work too, but its very labor intensive.

Oh and money.

Plus a little luck never hurt. Most successful dealers have a story or two tell about that.

We buy them.