• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do we give away too much valuable comic industry information on the boards?

93 posts in this topic

It doesn't hurt to have some connections, but unless you can afford to throw a lot of money around with the right people it's mostly about putting In the work. Learning about and knowing the market, having the patience and stamina to look through a lot of books before you come across the right ones, knowing how to grade, knowing what kinds of defects to look for that are pressable if you're into that kind of thing.

Also, if you find a honey hole, it doesn't hurt to give a taste to your friends, because a lot of the time they'll return the favor 2c

I will not divulge my honey holes (and they are drying up anyway), but everything else is fair game. I learn a lot here and if I know anything useful (and most of the time I do not) I am happy to share.

No. The most valuable piece of information is how the big dealers acquire their collections, and that information is never given out.

We buy them.

yeah, seriously, have a lot of cash on hand, be willing to go out and look at them, advertise, have people who will help find them for a finder's fee, etc... nothing magical or top secret about it

How do you personally set what to keep close and what to post up to the public?

If I know of a great source for books, I'll share it with my friends after I've snagged anything on my want list.

But as far as sharing general knowledge, tips or warnings about scammers, I think we should all be as forthcoming as possible. It makes for a healthier hobby. And that's good for collectors, dealers, and just about everybody except the sleazoids.

Most of us probably have full time or at least part time jobs outside of comics to pay the bills and help support their families. Those of us that are lucky enough to be able to devote the time to finding big scores generally work pretty hard to get that information and those collections... or just know the right people.

As a seller, I maybe hold 3 sales threads a year on the forums since I've joined, which result in a modest amount of sales. I was a vendor at my first proper Convention in June, and the experience only made me want to do it more. I was selling books I've collected for years from my personal collection - many of those from grinding out every comic store in any city I visited (for the variable amount of time the SO would allow me without becoming upset :) ). If I felt I could quit my job and sell comics for a living COMFORTABLY, I would do it in a heartbeat... but personally I'm not there yet.

My books have come from a wide variety of sources, and I've spent countless hours months flipping through longboxes throughout the Midwest. The only real advice I can give, is anywhere you think there might be comics - just ask around. Someone probably knows someone. They might only have "drek", but at least you tried.. and you never know.

Here's some advice: buy books at absurdly low prices using jedi mind tricks and sell them for slightly less absurdly low prices. Also, being friendly doesn't hurt you at all in this hobby. Getting to bs with people is all part of it. If you don't like doing that you're always going to be fighting an uphill battle. I only set up at a couple of shows a year and I give better deals to people that I like. On the buying end I get better deals than most other people because I spend a decent amount of money and I'm incredibly good looking.