• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hypothetical question

48 posts in this topic

61%2BnwNrbVTL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

The Bronze Age Huntress was Helena Wayne, the daughter of the Batman and Catwoman of Earth-Two, an alternate universe established in the early 1960s as the world where the Golden Age stories took place. Earth-Two was also the home of the Golden Age versions of various DC characters.

Created by Paul Levitz, Joe Staton, and Bob Layton, her first appearance was in All Star Comics #69 (December 1977) and DC Super Stars #17, which came out the same day and revealed her origin.

Yeah it all boils down to the 3 hot issues-the others would be irrelevant to me

I think the Vengeance of Bane Special #1 still brings a decent price in NM ($50-$60), and the Secret Origins with the Neil Gaiman content does about $8 if that is a solid NM or better.

The top row would be in order FN, NM, VF, VF, FN

So what you guys expect is to buy a box that you believe is 4x the current value.

With those grades I'd say you paid a bit over what I'd expect them to sell for and that's assuming you can get a couple bucks for the lesser books. The Jerry Lewis issue with Batman should sell for a bit. Not the worse mystery box in the world but I'd expect at least 25-35% above FMV since it's a mystery box. If I wanted to buy something for FMV then I'd just go do it and avoid the mystery.

So what you guys expect is to buy a box that you believe is 4x the current value.

With those grades I'd say you paid a bit over what I'd expect them to sell for and that's assuming you can get a couple bucks for the lesser books. The Jerry Lewis issue with Batman should sell for a bit. Not the worse mystery box in the world but I'd expect at least 25-35% above FMV since it's a mystery box. If I wanted to buy something for FMV then I'd just go do it and avoid the mystery.

Then I'd wonder why anyone would ever sell mystery boxes. Unless "mystery" has another meaning I'm unaware of.

Then I'd wonder why anyone would ever sell mystery boxes. Unless "mystery" has another meaning I'm unaware of.

That's the whole point of getting a mystery box, you get more for your dollar, you just don't get to pick it.

Why would anyone buy a mystery box if the choice was "You can choose $320 worth of comics from my inventory or I'll give you a mystery box where I choose $320 of inventory for you."

That is actually a good question. I have had both good (Comicalgems) and bad (A PL member) experiences here with mystery boxes. As a buyer, I always hope for a sweet score but in reality I am not for sure why I think that will happen. If the seller sells everything in mystery boxes with a 20% cushion for the buyer how do they make any profit? The only two things I can think of is that it is a good way to move volume or they can put one good item in there and then a bunch of small stuff that would be hard to sell individually but technically adds up to more than the buyer paid.

That's the whole point of getting a mystery box, you get more for your dollar, you just don't get to pick it.

Why would anyone buy a mystery box if the choice was "You can choose $320 worth of comics from my inventory or I'll give you a mystery box where I choose $320 of inventory for you."

I guess I don't get the point of a business model where you give away 25% in value with each box you sell. This would not appear to be a sound strategy. I would think it would be fair for a customer to get $320 in value for $320. I don't understand the motivation to plunk down $320 to get random stuff I may or may not want, that may or may not be worth what I paid for it, and that I may or may not be able to sell. That's the mystery to me. YMMV

Without having the luxury of actually shopping for and choosing the books I want, then yes, I would expect a significant value in a blind grab bag that I spent several hundred dollars on. 4x sounds about right.

I think we can safely say misery boxes are ways to unload stuff, putting in just enough value so buyer goes 'ok that wasn't too bad I guess' and move along.

Dont think many recipients get a holy mess!!! ZOWIE!! type of experience.....