• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

anyone think this still warrants a grade of 8.0?

68 posts in this topic

Looks like we had some editting done to this thread...anyone know why, or what was said?

Dunno -- the time gap b/t the my post and the one above it is pretty big. So is the gap after mine. However, everyting I remember reading last night (at 10:30pm) seems to be there.

Yeah but this was posted yesterday during the day, not last night as all the times would indicate. Plus several of my posts where erased. Guessing that they deleted it all and then reposted some of the stuff..Dont exactly know though...Hmm I wonder what set them off..I know that destro started this thread and there was some back and worth with him and some of the other members, but I dont think that it ever got that bad...hell you would think that the pictures in this thread would be what they were concerned with and not some bickering amound forum members..I will say that it says alot about cgc that they didnt pull this thread because it shows them a negative light. They are very fair about what happens on here and I am thankful for it. Thanks.

No wait it was the "Slab Damage Holy ****" thread that appears to be completely pulled that was started by destro. Hmm glad that this thread survived since I think that it was the better of the 2, since it includes pictures of actual damage.

Do you think perhaps that their insurance policy might cover this is say the owner were to file a claim?

Not really sure if the insurance policy would cover this, but it seems like a product defect to me. Similiar to a recall on a car, but who knows.

it would be simplicity itself to design an inner well that would prevent this sort of thing from happening, with the chief design feature being a well that doesn't sandwich together like the current ones, thus allowing pages to slip between them and tear off when handled roughly by postal employees or whomever.

has there ever been an official response as to why this well design is still used?

The Official response and please someone from CGC correct me if I'm wrong, is that "Even though the CGC slab is not perfect (don't think they've ever admitted that the design damages comic books) its the best design on the marketplace and they are constantly working to improve it.

Having cracked both a CGC slab and a PGX slab my personal opinion is this.

The PGX slab is a better design. news.gif

The CGC slab is constructed with better materials. news.gif

The result. Most of my HG collection is in 4" Mylar with Full Backs.

it would be simplicity itself to design an inner well that would prevent this sort of thing from happening, with the chief design feature being a well that doesn't sandwich together like the current ones, thus allowing pages to slip between them and tear off when handled roughly by postal employees or whomever.

has there ever been an official response as to why this well design is still used?

The Official response and please someone from CGC correct me if I'm wrong, is that "Even though the CGC slab is not perfect (don't think they've ever admitted that the design damages comic books) its the best design on the marketplace and they are constantly working to improve it.

Ditto on all counts. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Hmmm...you guys might consider the 11" Mylars instead of those short 4" ones. Those little ones might work OK for trading cards, but they're probably not so great for comics. confused-smiley-013.gif

Hmmm...you guys might consider the 11" Mylars instead of those short 4" ones. Those little ones might work OK for trading cards, but they're probably not so great for comics. confused-smiley-013.gif

That's too much plastic. confused-smiley-013.gif I just fold the comic over halfway down the spine, and then across the middle and it fits fine. Then the whole thing fits in my back pocket like a wallet. cloud9.gif

That's too much plastic. confused-smiley-013.gif I just fold the comic over halfway down the spine, and then across the middle and it fits fine. Then the whole thing fits in my back pocket like a wallet. cloud9.gif

Good idea, but if you requested your book be slabbed that way in the first place, you wouldn't have to worry about slab damage anyway!! But then it wouldn't fit in your pocket... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

As long as he does not create any CBC's when he folds it , he will be fine.

It appears we can now take care of those nasty little folds before submittal to CGC.

Ze-

Good idea, but if you requested your book be slabbed that way in the first place, you wouldn't have to worry about slab damage anyway!! But then it wouldn't fit in your pocket... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

One other good thing about folding it like that (aside from the obvious portability) is that it creates compression on the pages. Prevents oxidation. Keeps pages extra white and fresh. cloud9.gif

It appears we can now take care of those nasty little folds before submittal to CGC.

Ze-

I will just send it to Tracey Heft to press out the folds before submitting it to CGC. Can you say 9.8 White? 27_laughing.gif

Ze-

I will just send it to Tracey Heft to press out the folds before submitting it to CGC. Can you say 9.8 White? 27_laughing.gif

Will he take out entire book folds for $20? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

As you did not specify you wanted a .. BLUE 9.8

wink.gif

Ze-

foreheadslap.gif The notation accuracy Police are out today - thanks Mike it should read.

The result. Most of my HG collection is in 4 mil.Mylar with Full Backs

foreheadslap.gif The notation accuracy Police are out today - thanks Mike it should read.

The result. Most of my HG collection is in 4 mil.Mylar with Full Backs

While we're being anal and picking on our Canuck friend, "mil" does not have a period because it is not an abbreviation. A "mil" is a measurement of length equal to 1/1000th of an inch. poke2.gif

stooges.gifflowerred.gif

mm = mil = millimeter ≠ millie (the model)

"Mil" does not mean "millimeter." One "mil" is = to 0.0254 millimeters.

Or do you really think those 4 mil Mylars are FOUR MILLIMETERS THICK? (Stack four dimes on top of one another and put it next to a Mylar. One dime = one millimeter thick.)

Or do you really think those 4 mil Mylars are FOUR MILLIMETERS THICK? (Stack four dimes on top of one another and put it next to a Mylar. One dime = one millimeter thick.)

That's very confusing. Why don't they just call it "not too thin but not too thick"?

"The metric system is the tool of the devil. My car gets forty rods to a hog's head. And that's the way I like it!"

-Abe Simpson