• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

anyone think this still warrants a grade of 8.0?

68 posts in this topic

link

check out the URC... Is this a classic example of slab damage?

foreheadslap.gif Yes.

There are two things that usually happen when the cover goes between the well layers like that. Either the parts that go through will come out in one piece and the parts that didn't make it will get curled over, or the piece will just come off, like in your example.

That's how the slab causes those weird dents in overhang, where people say "The slab couldn't have done that, because the inner well edge is straight!" WRONG.

Well, since the missing piece is right there in the slab, it obviously came off post-slabbing. Whether that warrants a reduction to 7.5 is up to the boys in Sarasota.

I wouldn't call it a classic example of slab damage. That piece might have been hanging by a thread when it was slabbed.

Well, since the missing piece is right there in the slab, it obviously came off post-slabbing. Whether that warrants a reduction to 7.5 is up to the boys in Sarasota.

I wouldn't call it a classic example of slab damage. That piece might have been hanging by a thread when it was slabbed.

an interesting example, nevertheless.........first one i've seen like that. for once i have to agree with scott on the slab damage issue - no way this one could have happened any other way - but, wait - what if as you said the piece was hanging by a thread and actually just gave up the ghost finally and managed to squeeze into that tight gap.

see, nothing is ever 100% certain........ devil.gif

would CGC be willing to do anything about this?????

The small chunk out is certainly the worst part of it, but the >1 inch long corner crease that also came from the bang against the inner well isn't too good of an endorsement for protecting comics inside slabs either!

an interesting example, nevertheless.........first one i've seen like that.

How about another one then? This one is a book that I still own...

ghost11.jpg

blush.gif

Me likey! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Yeah, and monkeys might fly out of my butt.

This is not the first time I've seen this. Mosconi on the STL Comics boards posted a picture of a Tec 410 that had the exact same thing. The book had no damage when he submitted it. Now? Look at the lower right corner:

det410.jpg

If the piece had been hanging on by a thread, how did it get jammed far enough into the slab space to be stuck there? Why didn't it just fall off as soon as it made incidental contact with the well wall? screwy.gif

Ahoy, the ultra-rare slab damage ripped corner variant! Do you realize how RARE slab damage is? Don't ever sell that book -- it's PRICELESS!!!!

Christo_pull_hair.gif

Ahoy, the ultra-rare slab damage ripped corner variant! Do you realize how RARE slab damage is? Don't ever sell that book -- it's PRICELESS!!!!

Christo_pull_hair.gif

Get over it...paralegal! poke2.gif

ghost11.jpg

Ouch, it almost looks like the chipped piece is beyond the inner well.

link

check out the URC... Is this a classic example of slab damage?

foreheadslap.gif Yes.

There are two things that usually happen when the cover goes between the well layers like that. Either the parts that go through will come out in one piece and the parts that didn't make it will get curled over, or the piece will just come off, like in your example.

That's how the slab causes those weird dents in overhang, where people say "The slab couldn't have done that, because the inner well edge is straight!" WRONG.

Didn't see your post before I posted mine. Your explanation for what happened here makes sense to me.

Which is good, because now we can all rest assured that monkeys don't really fly out of your butt. yay.gif

were that piece on the B&B "hanging by a thread" --- it shouldn't have gotten an 8.0

this is a little disturbing. something that could be alleviated by putting the comic within a mylar bag in the slab. but that would entail other problems because it would need to be a perfect fit for the bag to not cause problems crumpling up in the slab.

it would be simplicity itself to design an inner well that would prevent this sort of thing from happening, with the chief design feature being a well that doesn't sandwich together like the current ones, thus allowing pages to slip between them and tear off when handled roughly by postal employees or whomever.

has there ever been an official response as to why this well design is still used?

Looks like we had some editting done to this thread...anyone know why, or what was said?

Dunno -- the time gap b/t the my post and the one above it is pretty big. So is the gap after mine. However, everyting I remember reading last night (at 10:30pm) seems to be there.