• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My First Vendor Adventure posted by Tyler77

61 posts in this topic

Long form update won't be all that much lol

By far, my biggest sellers were the "sets" - Complete mini and maxi-series and story arcs I put together.

Top characters overall, Batman, Spidey and X-Men related books/characters. In that order.

One buyer picked up a few Treasury and DC Special Editions.

REPORT PART 1

Sunday morning came quick. The earliest I have been up on a Sunday for awhile. Here are the books that would make up my "wall books".

20151025_071937_resized_zpsko49t9d9.jpg

Again, not the ideal set up but I used what I had to work with. You will see how it works in another pic.

Truck is loaded! My wife had the other items in our SUV. There are a bunch of other long boxes behind the ones facing out.

20151025_080857_resized_zpskfy8ckre.jpg

The signage to and at the location was weak. I knew where the venue was but even I could barely see the sign they had set up. Improving signage will be one of my recommendations to the organizers.

Crappy cell phone pic of the inside of the venue. It is the Elk's Club. This is before anyone showed up. My set up is to the left, out of view. There was nothing I was really interested in purchasing, there was one other guy beside my friend who had a few comics (he had an ASM #300) but passed on trying to procure it. More on that later.

20151025_095219_resized_zpsfeokyhev.jpg

Here is my humble set up...I was right beside the bar, but sadly, it was not open. :(

20151025_093425_resized_zpsmnk4wzqq.jpg

The venue itself was perfectly serviceable. Seemed to have good flow of people and my table generated "general interest" but not a lot of non-comic/"general interest" sales.

I 100% believe the advertising I did on my own at my local LCS and on Facebook "saved" the day for me. Had I not done this, the day would likely have been a bust.

The owner of our LCS also directed folks to the show today too I found out. So, better overall advertising would be another recommendation.

REPORT PART II

My table generated a fair bit of interest (photographed for local online paper)and browsers but not a lot of customers but I will say the customers I had did buy enough to make it worth my time.

What Did Not Sell

There was no single "big" buy. Lots of looks at wall books and my CGC binder but no bites whatsoever.

Surprisingly, no single war book sold. Nadda. I had one buyer show interest but did not buy. This genuinely surprised me, I thought ONE would have sold but there was generally less military memobillia than I thought there would be. Not a single Superman book sold.

What Sold

I sold a few issues of Batman, Amazing Spider-Man and Spectacular Spider-Man and X-Men.

I sold a Marvel Premiere #3 and Marvel Spotlight #28 and #29 (set)

I sold a couple of Marvel Graphic Novels, a few Treasuries and DC Special Editions and some DC Blue Ribbon Digests and Marvel Illustrated. I sold the lone Fireside book I had, Incredible Hulk.

I sold my lone remaining Marvel Select figure (Spider-Woman).

Sets were by far my biggest sellers. I sold a variety of sets ranging from Batman to Tank Girl. I was genuinely surprised how well they did.

What I Traded

A show goer walked in with several boxes, looking to sell/trade. Basically, there was nothing of interest to me except a nice presenting VG+ copy of Detective Comics #356 which I procured for $10 credit. They buyer went on to buy $30 worth of stuff, most books were either $1 or $5, so it ended up being $20 sale with his trade.

What You Might Kinda Care About

I sold $600.00 worth of books right on the dot. I did keep detailed sales receipts. However, a buyer who has purchased from me before indicated he may call me this week for a few other books, totaling $100 to $125, so could potentially be a bit more profitable. We shall see.

Total Profit:

$600 (sales) - $60 (2 table rental fee) - $120 (supplies) = +$420

All in all, not bad, considering many of the supplies (two table cloths and a few other items) I can reuse for any potential show so I see if I do another local show, my costs will be lower as I won't have as much initial "start up".

So yeah, approx. $420 profit. Not going to light the world on fire, but not terrible, all things considered.

Will post my Assessment later. Thanks for following.

ASSESSMENT

From my perspective, the show could maybe check to make sure it is not conflicting with other shows. There were a couple but only one may have potentially impacted comic sales.

I found advertising to be a bit on the weak side. They advertised on "free" platforms but I was not aware of any radio spots, etc. I could be wrong but I will follow up on that. I did most of my own self promoting at my LCS and Facebook, which I think really, really helped.

Minor quibble would be that the signage was not up to par. There was only one sign at the entry to the show and it was so small, I think the only people who noticed it were people who were going there anyway.

I think, because of this and the fact that it is a new show and issues above, the foot traffic was less than at the other big antique show that happens here every February. I think they may have a good thing going but have to make a few improvements.

For me, next time I think I would just bring more boxes, more selection. I will be actively working on getting my stock priced and ready for a show a bit at a time from here on out. I would bring as much of my super hero books as I could as I did get asked for titles that I did not bring. I would also bring completed sets as they were my bread and butter. It seemed people were generally looking for stuff to actually read.

NOTE: I handed out nice looking flyers with all my contact info and took names and emails from people with specific requests to follow up with.

I would also like to make a more professional looking wall display other than a corkboard on an easel I quickly put together. While nothing sold from it, it brought a lot of eyes to the table. Maybe next time I would scale back on bigger books and put more books in the $10 to $20 range.

I would still bring my binder with CGC books because, well, you never know.

Generally speaking, yes, I would do this show again. I did learn a few things but I also had a good time and made a bit of money. For a local show in its infancy, not too bad but some work to do.

lol - do not forget to subtract what you paid for those books for the net "profit" ----

Great that it turned out ok - $600 is great for what you described (the show).

Wall racks -

look at 1cools new report in comics general - he can probably get you an idea of how to make that. I went the lazy route - displaystogo.com has some cheap magazine wire racks that worked. They end up being shorter than the homebuilt ones - but hold a lot.

lol - do not forget to subtract what you paid for those books for the net "profit" ----

Great that it turned out ok - $600 is great for what you described (the show).

Wall racks -

look at 1cools new report in comics general - he can probably get you an idea of how to make that. I went the lazy route - displaystogo.com has some cheap magazine wire racks that worked. They end up being shorter than the homebuilt ones - but hold a lot.

The collection I brought to the show has long been paid off :)

I have a modest comic buying fund though that is set up purely from the profits of comic sales so I never dig into any personal/household funds to buy now.

I was a bit wrong, consulted with my better half and she figures that over 200 people did pass through the doors. Apparently I am a bad judge of "people volume".

I will look for 1Cools report. Thanks!

Sales Update:

Received email from a show goer and repeat customer of mine to meet this week as he has decided to pick up another $140 worth of books from me that he saw at the show but initially passed on and regretted.

I don't have the cash on hand, but this buyer has NEVER backed out of an agreement so I don't expect him to now.

So, as a result of the show $740 in sales - $60 for tables and -$120 for supplies brings profit to $560.00

Sounds like a successful outing. Just wondering, did you factor in the cost of the books (or were these from your personal collection acquired years ago)?

Either way, congrats. It's fun, right?

I would say that 99% of what I sold was from a large collection I purchased a couple of years ago that has been paid off for some time now as that part of my inventory is just purely generating profit.

When I buy collections to add, I keep track of the cost but some items I will sell right away, some I will sit on or keep for myself so the overall "keeping track" is a little difficult and I could do better job of it. I know I am 'ahead of the game" though but if I were to do this "professionally" I would for sure have to tighten up my accounting.

I keep a "float" from which to buy collections that is entirely funded by comic sales so I am never dipping into personal or household funds to buy collections. I also use that fund to sub books to CGC. Most of my sales go to purchase my own books and savings or house stuff.

Yes, it was pretty fun. I would do another one again for sure. One thing I did forget to mention that I really shouldn't is that I was also thankful to my spouse, who has experience working antique shows and handling the cash and receipts...This left me free to chat with customers and keep an eye on things. We worked pretty well as a team.

Sounds like a successful outing. Just wondering, did you factor in the cost of the books (or were these from your personal collection acquired years ago)?

Either way, congrats. It's fun, right?

I would say that 99% of what I sold was from a large collection I purchased a couple of years ago that has been paid off for some time now as that part of my inventory is just purely generating profit.

When I buy collections to add, I keep track of the cost but some items I will sell right away, some I will sit on or keep for myself so the overall "keeping track" is a little difficult and I could do better job of it. I know I am 'ahead of the game" though but if I were to do this "professionally" I would for sure have to tighten up my accounting.

I keep a "float" from which to buy collections that is entirely funded by comic sales so I am never dipping into personal or household funds to buy collections. I also use that fund to sub books to CGC. Most of my sales go to purchase my own books and savings or house stuff.

Yes, it was pretty fun. I would do another one again for sure. One thing I did forget to mention that I really shouldn't is that I was also thankful to my spouse, who has experience working antique shows and handling the cash and receipts...This left me free to chat with customers and keep an eye on things. We worked pretty well as a team.

I don't do shows or nothing, but my spending philosophy mirrors yours.

Outside of some initial investments at some point, I'm pretty sure I'm running mostly on profits for investing and my personal collection. Buying collections for a percentage of the 'obvious' quick flip value, so all the sales of non-key stuff is just gravy.

$740 in sales, wow! There were (at least) twice as many attendees at my show, yet I did not even reach half of your sales.

Your "wall book" board looks great. It might look out of place at a big convention, but it fits well for your venue. Well done, Wall-Crawler.

$740 in sales, wow! There were (at least) twice as many attendees at my show, yet I did not even reach half of your sales.

Your "wall book" board looks great. It might look out of place at a big convention, but it fits well for your venue. Well done, Wall-Crawler.

Thank you for the kind words!!!

Well, still sitting at $600 on the dot as the buyer has not yet given me cash in hand for those books he wants, but like I said, he has not backed out of a deal yet, so :wishluck:

I really don't know if this was a "good" result for a show or not but it does feel like it was. I will say that I think the big difference was that I really advertised the heck out of my being at the show myself. Definitely got "the bug" now.

I have decided to give selling a go at a convention for the first time. Everything is sorted and the clock is counting down for this weekend. I have planned the two days and they will be very long days but let's hope it goes well, eight Am to six pm each day so the hours will be long and tiring. Here is the link to the show some great guests are appearing so hopefully they will draw the crowds. http://filmandcomicconbelfast.com/

I'm glad you did well. Your sales were decent and your table costs were low so all in all a good result.

A few notes. War comics are slow sellers. Treasuries are good sellers. Sets sell really well if they're mainstream characters.

Yeah, I figured War Books would be slow, just not THAT slow as there were military collectors there...I thought I would have moved a couple at least even to non comic collectors.

Yep, Treasuries did do well and I did have a bit of a run on my DC Blue Ribbon Digests. Like I said, my sets did very well. Batman, Spidey and X-Men were the individual sellers.