• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Steve Ditko Appreciation Thread!

129 posts in this topic

I'm ready to be impressed.

Feel free to post a good one any time now. sleeping.gif

gotta tell ya, Dice, Im on record as being a big Ditko supporter, but I kinda agree that this quick small selection wouldnt get him too many Hall of Fame votes. But Im intrigued by your Kirby comment. So tell me (us) -- just who ARE you favorite artists?? Not a challenge, Im really curious now...

You guys would die if I told you I rank Kirby almost as low as Ditko.

Freaking COPYCAT! Liar Liar Pants On Fire! (and all the opther sandbox stuff!). CHeck the BA thread for my opinions of Ditko and Kirby. Jeeze I HAVED to get my Clapper working again!

Exactly. This is far and away the WORST "appreciation" thread I've ever seen. The Thing #15 cover is the only standout among the entire bunch so far. If this guy hadn't drawn Spidey, he'd be ranked lower than Don Heck based on the examples people have shown so far. sign-rantpost.gif

Exactly. This is far and away the WORST "appreciation" thread I've ever seen. The Thing #15 cover is the only standout among the entire bunch so far. If this guy hadn't drawn Spidey, he'd be ranked lower than Don Heck based on the examples people have shown so far. sign-rantpost.gif

Posted this Ditko in the BA thread. Think it is a nice one and one of the prides of my pre-code collection.

sss22.jpg

893applaud-thumb.gif Pretty sad when the best cover is contributed by someone who doesn't even like the artist. foreheadslap.gif

I was trying to show some of the lesser known Ditko material, and not the usual chestnuts. Oh well, ......I do have a degree art you know.......somewhere around here.......... sorry.gif

So who drew GI Joe? yeahok.gif

Red Hook, I love those Charlton covers you posted! I agree that the Dr. Graves 55 is high on atmosphere and design, if low on detail and realism. The latter traits aren't prerequisites for great art, though, especially not in a symbolic medium such as comic (sequential) art.

thanks guys! grades are:

#8 cgc 8.5

#12 cgc 8.0

#13 cgc 8.5

#14 cgc 8.5 (bought for $80 from a guy in the cbg nearly 20 yrs ago)

#15 cgc 8.0

#16 cgc 8.5 (traded for with Ted was a raw copy)

#17 cgc 9.2 (bought raw at a boston show many years ago)

#18 cgc 9.0 ( " )

#19 cgc 9.0

#20 cgc 8.0

#21 cgc 9.0

#22 cgc 9.2 (traded for with Ted)

#23 cgc 8.5

#24 cgc 8.5

#25 cgc 8.0

#26 cgc 9.0

#27 cgc 9.4 (beautifully centered copy..no wrap at all, great QP)

#28 cgc 8.0

#29 cgc 8.5

#30 cgc 8.0

#31 cgc 8.5

#32 cgc 8.5

#33 cgc 9.2

#34 cgc 9.0

#35 cgc 8.5

#36 cgc 9.4

#37 cgc 8.5

#38 cgc 9.0