• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Steve Ditko Appreciation Thread!

129 posts in this topic

I just have to add that several years ago(3 or 4) at a big con in NYC(the one in Chelsea held yearly) I walked by as a dealer just put out for sale the art for the ENTIRE issue of TOS #48. So he had for sale the two pages of Iron Man snapping on the new armor leading to the full page splash of Iron Man in his new armor. I remember thinking how amazing it would be to buy these three pages and display them. I added up the totals for the three pages...$10,000. Unfortunately, I didn't have $10,000 but knew that that was a watermark purchase moment. I remember that other pages ranged from around $800 to $1200/page and the 2 armor pages were $800(I think) and then the splash page with new armor was $8400. In any event, it was amazing to see an entire issue like that, but I certainly regret not being about to buy those three pages, which I would assume I could have doubled my money by now. Oh yeah, and I'm a big Ditko fan. I especially like his early ASM work. Unfortunately, I've never seen original art for sale below #6, but apparently someone owns the cover of ASM #1

I think that my favorite Ditko work were his Dr. Strange interiors. I like those as much as I do the Out of this World #6 cover that someone posted.... same colorful and psychedelic design. Great stuff.

Can't say that I'm a fan of much else that he did. When comparing him to someone like Wolverton, he pales in comparison.

I think it's a bit unfair to compare Wolverton with Ditko if you're only going to compare their "other worldly" stuff. When it came to weird, no one could match Wolverton. He was a singular talent. But it terms of comic storytelling, his strength lay more in the "big foot" direction of Powerhouse Pepper.

I'm surprised you don't find much appeal in Ditko's Spider-Man. He defined the classic poses for the character that are still used today and set up the vast majority of the Spider-Man's Rogues Gallery as well.

You'll get no argument from me about the superiority of his version of Doctor Strange (a character he created), but I think you may be selling him a little short if you write off the tons of great stuff he did in the mystery, horror (especially for Warren), and super-hero genres.

I do enjoy Ditko's Spider-Man. And his Mr. A was pretty interesting. However, his work doesn't move me like that of Steranko, Wolverton, Wood, Wrightson, etc. Ditko was unusual, but not much of a draftsman. Not knocking him because I do enjoy his work, but I think he's no better than the second tier of great pencillers.

I just have to add that several years ago(3 or 4) at a big con in NYC(the one in Chelsea held yearly) I walked by as a dealer just put out for sale the art for the ENTIRE issue of TOS #48. So he had for sale the two pages of Iron Man snapping on the new armor leading to the full page splash of Iron Man in his new armor. I remember thinking how amazing it would be to buy these three pages and display them. I added up the totals for the three pages...$10,000. Unfortunately, I didn't have $10,000 but knew that that was a watermark purchase moment. I remember that other pages ranged from around $800 to $1200/page and the 2 armor pages were $800(I think) and then the splash page with new armor was $8400. In any event, it was amazing to see an entire issue like that, but I certainly regret not being about to buy those three pages, which I would assume I could have doubled my money by now. Oh yeah, and I'm a big Ditko fan. I especially like his early ASM work. Unfortunately, I've never seen original art for sale below #6, but apparently someone owns the cover of ASM #1

gossip.gif DNAgent has a couple of those TOS 48 pages.....

Check it out Ditko fans....

CFA/APA #27

8d_12_sb.JPG [/quote

oh neat-o !!! !! !

does mysterio have gas? insane.gif

the color is a bit unattractive,

but that second page is interesting.

it is nice, i think ditko looks best when inked

by ditko! thumbsup2.gif

gossip.gif DNAgent has a couple of those TOS 48 pages.....

i have 1 left, after having a booth at the ny show this weekend. gossip.gif

it is nice that there was interest in the ditko pages, i was asked about

them more than any other original artworks...it went to a collector who keeps the previous page in his personal gallery/collection. cloud9.gif893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

re-uniting sequential pages is fun.

of course i was asked about any cover, but indeed, the ditko interiors i brought were appreciated... thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifpopcorn.gif

I love that Strange Worlds #2 cover! I remember seeing a copy at an early 90s SD con that was somewhere between FN and VF in grade, but priced at a multiple of top guide at the time ( I forget the exact amount- but it was high enough that I didn't feel that haggling would get me even close to a "fair" price). Has this long been a premium-over-guide cover or was the dealer just very ambitious in his pricing?

Great pickup, Rhino. Not often you get a full size Ditko-drawn superhero. thumbsup2.gif