• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Steve Ditko Appreciation Thread!

129 posts in this topic

I've always thought this was one of the most unusual of Ditko covers. Without the characters on the boat, I'd be hard-pressed to recognize Ditko as the artist. That said, I first noticed this in the Gerber guide without even knowing that it was by Ditko. I just found it very appealing.

746592-UnusualTales6.jpg

746592-UnusualTales6.jpg.75ee1e8e45f0d6daf84f92ee5b7d94dd.jpg

Ditko's first super-hero work, but not who you think.

746838-SpaceAdv36.jpg

746838-SpaceAdv36.jpg.67245e36c65459db982fd3d7b7529c4d.jpg

Love the original art, DNAgent -- a welcome complement to the comics. thumbsup2.gif

750851-MysTrav3.jpg

750851-MysTrav3.jpg.6db55898bed2b6c26efaf536108a81eb.jpg

Thanks for the scan, fanman, I was hoping someone would mention Ditko's Warren works. I also think those stories are among the best of his long career.

I think those who don't appreciate Ditko often are looking for pretty "pictures" as opposed to great "storytelling." Ditko's work is eccentric and a little off-putting when first encountered. However, he is a supreme storyteller. That sequence already mentioned from ASM #33 is maybe THE high water mark of Marvel in the 60's.

Not only was he the definitive Spider-Man artist. He created Dr. Strange (he brought the concept to Stan Lee) and is that character's definitve artist as well. His take on the Blue Beetle is still the one in use almost 40 years later. His Question inspried the Rorshach character in Alan Moore's "Watchmen." And his Captain Atom is one of the best non DC/Marvel characters from the Silver Age.

He added some great characters to the Marvel Universe. He created Mysterio, Green Goblin and Kraven the Hunter in back-to-back-to-back issues. And yep, they were his ideas, not Stan's.

Unfortunately, his later work became highly erratic with some of it looking absolutely awful and, as with Kirby, writing his own dialog actually revealed how important Stan was to making those early Marvel books so magical.

However, if you were to list the 10 most important artists in the history of super-hero comics, his name would have to make the list. A true original and a true originator. By the way, someone should post that Molten Man cover from ASM - that was truly a stunner!

Thanks for the scan, fanman, I was hoping someone would mention Ditko's Warren works. I also think those stories are among the best of his long career.

I think those who don't appreciate Ditko often are looking for pretty "pictures" as opposed to great "storytelling." Ditko's work is eccentric and a little off-putting when first encountered. However, he is a supreme storyteller. That sequence already mentioned from ASM #33 is maybe THE high water mark of Marvel in the 60's.

Not only was he the definitive Spider-Man artist. He created Dr. Strange (he brought the concept to Stan Lee) and is that character's definitve artist as well. His take on the Blue Beetle is still the one in use almost 40 years later. His Question inspried the Rorshach character in Alan Moore's "Watchmen." And his Captain Atom is one of the best non DC/Marvel characters from the Silver Age.

He added some great characters to the Marvel Universe. He created Mysterio, Green Goblin and Kraven the Hunter in back-to-back-to-back issues. And yep, they were his ideas, not Stan's.

Unfortunately, his later work became highly erratic with some of it looking absolutely awful and, as with Kirby, writing his own dialog actually revealed how important Stan was to making those early Marvel books so magical.

However, if you were to list the 10 most important artists in the history of super-hero comics, his name would have to make the list. A true original and a true originator. By the way, someone should post that Molten Man cover from ASM - that was truly a stunner!

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

By the way, someone should post that Molten Man cover from ASM - that was truly a stunner!

Coming up in a moment, but first I just wanted to say "right on" to some great posts praising the storytelling skills and innovation in Ditko's work. Frankly, his covers just aren't all that important compared to his interiors. No one, in my opinion, did better with the occult and otherworldly aspects of the Dr. Strange character than Ditko, and he was the first comic artist I can recall to incorporate reality-stretching aspects of psychedelia.

Posted about a year ago, but never grows old:

454943-28.jpg

quite appreciated, really

tos49p166sc.jpg

Nice page!

Hmmm, I think this logically follows:

tos49p21.jpg

headbang.gif

alright!!!!!!!!!!

a stat, i can't figure out how to take good (good +) digital pics as evidenced by

the last two......

tos48p184cw.jpgthumbsup2.gif

thumbsup2.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

to the other great posts!!!!

I am surprised no one has mentioned Ditko's stint at Warren where he did a number of stories using the wash technique. Beautiful stuff.

Here is a page from Eerie #7.

ditko_eerie7_pg2.jpg

Thanks for sharing your page. 893applaud-thumb.gif

I saw the original art to one of Ditko's Warren splashes at a convention and was blown away. It's an entirely different medium to work in, but it's easily the equal of his work on Spiderman 33.

that wash stuff is excellent. never seen that before. very nice.

and ASM 28 is by far my favourite non-X-Men 50 cover