• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Garth Ennis's 'The Boys' the next Ennis series for TV!?
4 4

514 posts in this topic

My issue with the new Butcher is that he is quite useless against Homelander. All he needs to do is use his laser eyes to dice Billy up.

On 7/19/2024 at 5:10 PM, kimik said:

My issue with the new Butcher is that he is quite useless against Homelander. All he needs to do is use his laser eyes to dice Billy up.

I think this is where his diabolical nature will come in handy - perhaps behind the scenes.

On 7/19/2024 at 7:48 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I think this is where his diabolical nature will come in handy - perhaps behind the scenes.

That's what I was thinking. He is good about strategy, and playing the long game to achieve his goals.

Still like the show, and have not finished it yet (just saw episode 6).  Can't really put my finger on what it missing, but the first few episodes feel like the show was just spinning its wheels from a story standpoint. Took to about the 5th episode, where it final felt like the plot started moving forward as opposed to just doing setup.  Also feels like they have taken Homelander a bit to far. We always knew he was evil, and deranged, but he was smart and legitimately scary.  This season he seems much more cartoonish, and one note, and it detracts from the show. 

Have to admit that the V'ed up farm animals had me laughing.  This season was definitely missing the dark irreverent humor, and this brough some of that back.  

On 7/24/2024 at 7:22 PM, drotto said:

Still like the show, and have not finished it yet (just saw episode 6).  Can't really put my finger on what it missing, but the first few episodes feel like the show was just spinning its wheels from a story standpoint. Took to about the 5th episode, where it final felt like the plot started moving forward as opposed to just doing setup.  Also feels like they have taken Homelander a bit to far. We always knew he was evil, and deranged, but he was smart and legitimately scary.  This season he seems much more cartoonish, and one note, and it detracts from the show. 

Have to admit that the V'ed up farm animals had me laughing.  This season was definitely missing the dark irreverent humor, and this brough some of that back.  

Season 1-3 to 4 went from irreverent and satirical to just serious and unfun. With 1 season left you hope they go back to finding the magic that made this show enthralling to watch but based on the showrunner's reaction to fan criticism it's a shame that may not happen. 

On 7/24/2024 at 7:22 PM, drotto said:

...but the first few episodes feel like the show was just spinning its wheels from a story standpoint.

I've felt that way for the last few *seasons*, including this one.

Like "we HAVE to keep the Homelander/Butcher dynamic alive, despite how it makes no sense to do so. It was a very fun ride initially, but has been a victim of its own success at this point. Where they just keep doing the same general plot, over & over again but with slight twists.

Not necessarily doubting you about viewership going up, but I'd love to see some statistics supporting that.  It's not... generally a thing that happens with any show, even with like, Game of Thrones at its height of popularity, at least to that extent (+20%, yikes!). I clicked on the Tweet, & it had no supporting data, but I don't use Twitter, so maybe there's supporting data I can't access.

On 7/27/2024 at 12:03 AM, RobAnybody said:

Not necessarily doubting you about viewership going up, but I'd love to see some statistics supporting that.  It's not... generally a thing that happens with any show, even with like, Game of Thrones at its height of popularity, at least to that extent (+20%, yikes!). I clicked on the Tweet, & it had no supporting data, but I don't use Twitter, so maybe there's supporting data I can't access.

Ask and you shall receive

Amazon has hailed the success of Season 4 of superhero satire The Boys, saying viewership was up 20% compared to Season 3.

Over 55 million people watched Season 4 worldwide in the 39 days to the first weekend of the Season 4 finale on July 21, Amazon said. That’s enough to see Season 4 viewership up 20% on Season 3 over the equivalent time period, and global viewership growth for the third consecutive season.

Amazon said The Boys Season 4 is Prime video’s fourth most-viewed TV season of all time, and the second most-viewed returning season on the service after only Reacher Season 2. For context, Prime Video’s most-viewed TV season remains The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power Season 1, which was seen by 100 million people worldwide after its September 2022 release. Fallout Season 1, meanwhile, hit 65 million viewers in just two weeks.