• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Garth Ennis's 'The Boys' the next Ennis series for TV!?
4 4

514 posts in this topic

My only complaint is the same I have with Ennis' comic book writing.  There are memorable scenes of violence that really push the narrative or character direction.  In Welcome Back Frank, the disfigured Ma Nucci attacked by Polar Bears resonated and showed how brutal Frank could be and the consequences of his actions especially when he tosses the body back into the far as Frank finds Ma Nucci biting his leg.  Ennis' was a master here blending comedy and brutal violence. 

Then there were other times that Ennis seems to just writing scenes just to see if those scenes would pass through Marvel editorial.  They were cool I guess but didn't really have a point and in some ways were a distraction. 

That is what I feel season four has been. Sometimes I feel that no matter how horrific or over the top the violence has been it served a purpose.   Then like Ennis' writing, Kripke creates scenes that seem to be there just to see if they could get away with it or because it would be fun to do.  Then that gets distracting.  I am not offended, but it is distracting as in, "What was the purpose of this?"

I also wonder how much involvement in the creative process that Seth Rogen has because while I love Rogen he has a tendency to create or push stories where scenes are injected that have no purpose but are just created to see if he can as he himself have mentioned when he did press for Sausage Party. 

Overall I have enjoyed the season.  My 67 year old aunt, who introduced me to punk and New Wave when I was 8 years old, and basically kidnapped me to see Star Wars when it was rereleased in the theaters and then the Empire Strikes Back when that came out loves this series as well.  lol 

I had a good snort laugh when they introduced all the phases of movies btw.  Hilarious dig on Marvel. 

On 7/19/2024 at 9:34 AM, Artboy99 said:

He is 100% correct. 

ehhh... 

Maybe?

I mean you can have a hundred different flavors of ice cream.  You could tell me that one ice cream is the best ice cream over all others.  Eventually, you want to eat something other than ice cream. 

There was a time period where almost every tentpole movie was a superhero movie. Eventually the public wanted a shift.

Again, everything in peaks and valleys but we are awhile out until we see something like we did with Marvel leading into Infinity War.  And that is okay.  I am not talking about a demise of the genre.  I am old enough to remember 1989's Batmania and then a resurgence with the X-Men films, and then again with the Marvel Machine.  But like the Western, there are peaks and valleys when you have over-saturation and the public wants to cleanse the palate and have something other than ice cream.

On 7/19/2024 at 7:45 AM, Buzzetta said:

ehhh... 

Maybe?

I mean you can have a hundred different flavors of ice cream.  You could tell me that one ice cream is the best ice cream over all others.  Eventually, you want to eat something other than ice cream. 

There was a time period where almost every tentpole movie was a superhero movie. Eventually the public wanted a shift.

Again, everything in peaks and valleys but we are awhile out until we see something like we did with Marvel leading into Infinity War.  And that is okay.  I am not talking about a demise of the genre.  I am old enough to remember 1989's Batmania and then a resurgence with the X-Men films, and then again with the Marvel Machine.  But like the Western, there are peaks and valleys when you have over-saturation and the public wants to cleanse the palate and have something other than ice cream.

I am of the opinion that people just want to see a well written story and are happy to have "ice cream" if it is great.

On 7/18/2024 at 11:50 PM, kimik said:

Nice way to end the season. Tease a number of storylines to follow in the final season.

I really hope they have Soldeir Boy attempt “make a man” out of Homelander next season. That should be fun.

I agree. I think The Boys being in peril is a great way to start next season. Marshal Law being declared gives it a great segway to a completely unhinged Supes world. Soldier Boy's return will be interesting. Butcher's heel turn is going to be fun. Ashley's transformation will undoubtedly be gross and messed up. Ryan - equipped with the knowledge of his creation - will also be interesting to see. I'm really happy with this season's close - a lot of stuff to look forward to.

On 7/9/2024 at 4:46 PM, Buzzetta said:

My 67 year old aunt, who introduced me to punk and New Wave when I was 8 years old, and basically kidnapped me to see Star Wars when it was rereleased in the theaters and then the Empire Strikes Back when that came out loves this series as well.  lol

One of the better uses of 'God Save the Queen' on a show. Forgot how awesome the original riff was.

On 7/19/2024 at 10:31 AM, Dr. Balls said:

I agree. I think The Boys being in peril is a great way to start next season. Marshal Law being declared gives it a great segway to a completely unhinged Supes world. Soldier Boy's return will be interesting. Butcher's heel turn is going to be fun. Ashley's transformation will undoubtedly be gross and messed up. Ryan - equipped with the knowledge of his creation - will also be interesting to see. I'm really happy with this season's close - a lot of stuff to look forward to.

my expectation is it will have something to do with her hair. Like a Medusa