• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Look at this eBay auction blurb

42 posts in this topic

I'm not defending gougers, and i dislike them as much as the next guy, but America's Best 10 is not a guide book...It has always been a double or triple guide book because of the great cover and scarcity. There's no way i would ever sell mine for less than triple guide, and even then I might have to think about it a long time. hm So, I would say the $515 price is about right, if not a bargain...

8yujwh.jpg

Is that one of the books you bought off the stands for 10 cents? hm

I'm not defending gougers, and i dislike them as much as the next guy, but America's Best 10 is not a guide book...It has always been a double or triple guide book because of the great cover and scarcity. There's no way i would ever sell mine for less than triple guide, and even then I might have to think about it a long time. hm So, I would say the $515 price is about right, if not a bargain...

8yujwh.jpg

Yeah, that was back when I was dating yer MOM... hm (Just walked into that one, didn't ya?) :D

Naw, I got it from Muchin about 16 years ago...

Well, I'm glad that I posted on the last page and made a comment about America's Best #10, because I just learned something that I wouldn't have otherwise: that the online guide is way off for this book!

Background: I'm just now returning to comic collecting after a 20 year hiatus, so I have a lot if catching up to do.

I have an additional difficulty in that I am a schoolteacher in Thailand, and only have access to online price guides. So any additional info that I can pick up is appreciated.

I was hoping that joining this forum would provide me with an education, and it is!

Yeah, for in-demand golden age books that are tough to find, 'guide prices' are a bit of a joke, dramatically more so than 20 years ago. You'd be better off perusing GPA, Heritage Auctions archives and ebay completed auctions to get a sense of what an issue is really going for. Welcome back, stick around! (thumbs u

Well, I'm glad that I posted on the last page and made a comment about America's Best #10, because I just learned something that I wouldn't have otherwise: that the online guide is way off for this book!

Background: I'm just now returning to comic collecting after a 20 year hiatus, so I have a lot if catching up to do.

I have an additional difficulty in that I am a schoolteacher in Thailand, and only have access to online price guides. So any additional info that I can pick up is appreciated.

I was hoping that joining this forum would provide me with an education, and it is!

As Point Five notes, if you intend to buy and sell CGC graded comics, a subscription to gpanalysis.com is well worthwhile. It's also a fun tool to use for checking out pedigrees and comics that you may not have an immediate interest in buying.

If you register for ha.com--no payment required--you receive access to the prices received for comics in their past auctions. These are mostly graded comics, although they there are some raw books.

And, of course, the completed listings on eBay can be helpful. The asking prices, otoh, are usually well above fair market value.

8yujwh.jpg

Yeah, that was back when I was dating yer MOM... hm (Just walked into that one, didn't ya?) :D

Naw, I got it from Muchin about 16 years ago...

Dad, is that you?

You can block sellers from bookmarked searches (but not from your feed, as far as I know). Just go to advanced search, create a search on something you commonly search on with a few blocked sellers. Execute the search, then bookmark it. From that point on, to do that search, you just click the bookmark. And every time you want to add a new nuisance seller to your blocked list, you can just add them into the url of your bookmark, following the syntax in the url for the other blocked sellers.

You can also block a seller from your search by typing a list of sellers you wish to avoid inside of parentheses and putting this with a minus sign in front of it after your search terms

e.g., cgc comics -(badboycomics,comicsfortheuninformed,defects-r-us)

He seems like a nice enough guy all things considered. Was impressed by his warehouse but all the books and package bundles he pulled out from the boxes seemed to be modern drek. I assume he has GA and SA or is it just mountain piles of BA and modern drek ?

I only watched one video, entitled "6 million comics".

I was shocked to read the same thing for the first time a few days ago. They posted on eBay an Action Comics #247 in G for $74 (in guide that is a $42 book). Then I went to their web site and saw they had the same book listed there for $92.

I assume they figure if they can charge 2 to 4 times what a book is worth and can sit on books long enough, then some will eventually sell and they will make huge profits off those.

Think I can just wait for a more reasonably priced copy to come along, rather than pay twice guide for a good condition copy of a non-key, silver age, DC.

Chuck is constantly running 40% off sales on his site. So I think the higher prices on his site versus his eBay prices reflect his expectation that many people will be buying books on his site at 40% off.

I just went on website..no 40% anywhere, I checked out some of his golden age...the prices seem unreasonable...given the other available sources....check out strange adventures #1 at $2800 bucks..a tad high, especially if it comes back a bit lower in grade.

I just went on website..no 40% anywhere, I checked out some of his golden age...the prices seem unreasonable...given the other available sources....check out strange adventures #1 at $2800 bucks..a tad high, especially if it comes back a bit lower in grade.

From his newsletter yesterday:

Howdy!

If you missed my earlier announcements, for the next week almost all of our ten million back issue comics and magazines can be purchased at a 40% discount from the prices listed on our website when you type the codeword HALLOWEEN into the discount codeword line on our online order form. This great annual 40% off sale encompasses all of our Golden Age, Silver Age, Bronze Age, Copper Age, and Modern comics, as well as all of our back issue Marvel, DC, Dark Horse, Image, and Independent publisher titles. Only new comics, a few variants, and our CGC-graded issues are excluded from the 40% off sale.

wow, in his early videos he said he has 8 million, now he says over 10 million comics and 300K trade paperbacks...how much more can he get??? just going on web site...I did not see anything....I wonder how big is is customer list...foreign buyers...300% over market -40% you save 120 % over market