• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Look at this eBay auction blurb

42 posts in this topic

The image in this listing is from a random copy of this product that we have had in stock recently. It probably will not be the item we send you, nor even representative of the grade of this item, but is meant to help you determine if this is the item you want.

Who would buy a vintage comic based on that description?

Here's the link;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/THRILLING-CRIME-CASES-1950-Series-41-Fair-Comics-Book-/231704697641?hash=item35f2ad1b29

Welcome to the world of how Mile High sells its books...Unbelievable...and overpriced. I wish we had the ability to block sales from certain dealers so we wouldn't have to wade thru that nonsense. :sumo: Someone should start a "What's wrong with Ebay" thread. We could have lot's of fun with that... lol

You can block sellers from bookmarked searches (but not from your feed, as far as I know). Just go to advanced search, create a search on something you commonly search on with a few blocked sellers. Execute the search, then bookmark it. From that point on, to do that search, you just click the bookmark. And every time you want to add a new nuisance seller to your blocked list, you can just add them into the url of your bookmark, following the syntax in the url for the other blocked sellers.

They've been selling books on eBay with stock photos since forever. Somehow it seems to work for them. I guess it's a throwback to the old days when you had to order by mail from a catalog that only had grades.

They aren't the only ones that use stock photos. Lee's comics does the same thing, and so does My Comic Shop for books under $10. I can see the motivation to save time by not scanning every book, but we've sorta gotten used to seeing what we're buying these days. I like to see good scans with the enlarging feature. If someone doesn't provide a good scan of the actual book, I don't buy it...

Kind of interesting that Mile High also includes a Mile High watermark on their images ... to keep people from stealing their stock photos. doh!

Actually I like that. Makes it easy for me to avoid clicking on their schlock.

Good point! :D

Welcome to the world of how Mile High sells its books...Unbelievable...and overpriced. I wish we had the ability to block sales from certain dealers so we wouldn't have to wade thru that nonsense. :sumo: Someone should start a "What's wrong with Ebay" thread. We could have lot's of fun with that... lol

you have very little chance of ever break even, let along lose your shirt...to pay for chucks wherehouse fees as well as making his collection bigger..its too bad, they would help a lot of collectors out if they just got reasonable.

It's not just Mile High whose prices are mile high.

To illustrate: in the last month, two comics were offered by two different dealers, and were offered on their websites and on eBay.

One was a Whiz #44, condition 8.5. The dealer wanted $400. Price guide value for 8.5 = $264.

The other was an America's Best #10, condition 5.0. The dealer wanted $580 on eBay, $515 on the website. Price guide value for 5.0 = $160.

So either the online price guide is way off, or the dealers are shooting for the moon!

It's not just Mile High whose prices are mile high.

To illustrate: in the last month, two comics were offered by two different dealers, and were offered on their websites and on eBay.

One was a Whiz #44, condition 8.5. The dealer wanted $400. Price guide value for 8.5 = $264.

The other was an America's Best #10, condition 5.0. The dealer wanted $580 on eBay, $515 on the website. Price guide value for 5.0 = $160.

So either the online price guide is way off, or the dealers are shooting for the moon!

Both :D

both those dealers do not have over 6 million comic books, I give the chuck a bow to his videos..opening up his comic book world and showing us 4 million comics in one where house was pretty amazing, but his justification to charge way over the guide or whatever, on the grounds that he wants a copy of every comic book in every condition in stock...is a real problem for somebody who then in a future date wants a reasonable amount of return for what he paid.

I'm not defending gougers, and i dislike them as much as the next guy, but America's Best 10 is not a guide book...It has always been a double or triple guide book because of the great cover and scarcity. There's no way i would ever sell mine for less than triple guide, and even then I might have to think about it a long time. hm So, I would say the $515 price is about right, if not a bargain...

8yujwh.jpg

opening up his comic book world and showing us 4 million comics in one where house

how do I get there ?

I usually check Mile HIgh ads. They sometimes have low grade bargains for us bottom skimmers of the market. :whee:

opening up his comic book world and showing us 4 million comics in one where house

how do I get there ?

I usually check Mile HIgh ads. They sometimes have low grade bargains for us bottom skimmers of the market. :whee:

:whistle: