• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Writing on cover affecting grade?

11 posts in this topic

I've asked a few people via Pm, but the concensus has been split about the biro writing on this NM #98.

It's clearly not CT, nor is it graffiti, but a price change and the date it happened.

So how will this affect the grade?

Will it get a GLOD, or will CGC give it a 9.6/9.8 and note 'writing on cover'?

Advice would be appreciated. And a grade of course....

CCF17102015_0001_zpsv3odozli.jpg

Kinda hard to assign any sort of grade to a book when only the FC is shown, while in a polybag, to boot;)

As far as the writing on the cover; it will be downgraded.

It is not an arrival date notation/stamp, that is the only sort of writing or a stamp that would not effect the grade.

The $2.95 notation could *possibly* be dry cleaned, however.

It would take a steady, careful hand and a looooot of time & patience to remove the ink from said area, without thinning out said area to the point where you would be removing a decent amount of the actual paper itself.

You'd also have to dry clean the other letters, as well, to offset the whiteness in the "S". .....and if you use excessive force on the $2.95 pen notation, the paper will be thinned out and, which will at best likely net you a comment of "rubbing mark" in the Grader's Notes.

That is, if the ink is not too thoroughly ingrained into the paper itself, to be dry cleaned without causing paper loss.

After said dry cleaning is performed, the book would have to be humidified & pressed in order to remove the pressure induced "waviness" that an hour (or more) of dry cleaning such a minute area would invariably cause.

Thanks - assume its a strong 9.8 candidate - minus the writing.

What will the writing knock it down to, or will it actually get a GLOD?

The writing is in firm biro - it could not possibly be removed without damage.

It's a shame, but part of a collection haul.

I just don't want to sell it as something it isn't - so I want to be certain what CGC will do to it.

So consider it a 9.8, sadly with that writing on the cover.

Cheers for the reply (thumbs u

The ink can be removed ($2.95) from the white area via dry cleaning without causing damage.

I have done just that with an X-Factor #5....and a Superman #73 , both books had ink on the (white) covers...I got it all off, without using chemicals.

It would be harder with this book b/c the area to work in is so tight, but it *can* be done.

Far as the grade....as is....assuming it is o/w a 9.8.....I'd estimate you'd get a 9.2.universal.As low as an 8.0, high as a 9.4.

If the $2.95 ink is removed and pressed afterwards, I'd say you'd get a 9.4 universal.

To be clear, nothing can be done with the 2014 notation.

Selling it as is, raw...expect to get $300-$400 via BIN.Depends on how long you want to wait etc.

Hi Andy,

I believe they would just deduct a bit from the grade, but no Qualified.

Maybe a 9.6 if it was a 9.8 or a 9.0/9.2 if it was a 9.4?

Hard to assign a high grade based solely on the scan. :)

Claudio :hi:

Sorry for belated reply - went to the coast for a couple of days surfing - nice break....

I've sent it to Joey to see if he can work his magic, so I'll post a grade when it comes back.

He seems confident the ink can be removed so fingers crossed!