• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does JOHN BYRNE make appearances?

55 posts in this topic

From another thread:

I have just read that John Byrne is planning on attending the 50th Anniversary Star Trek Con next year, but I'm not sure in what capacity.

http://www.byrnerobotics.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=49043&PN=1&totPosts=115

From the horse's mouth: "I should probably take this opportunity to mention that while attending this Con, I will be signing only my STAR TREK work. I don't want to create a situation of people lining up with longboxes full of X-MEN, FF, AVENGERS, etc.'Thank you for your cooperation,' as they say!"

Also this: http://www.byrnerobotics.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=49016&PN=1&totPosts=0&FID=3&PR=3

So while the answer is technically "yes," don't plan on getting any X-Men signed. He quit doing shows after the 2004 Mid-Ohio con. While I have never seen a direct quote from him, the way it is usually put is that comics fans don't bathe often enough (or something to that effect) and he was tired of it.

He stopped doing conventions back in 2004. He would annually do Mid Ohio Con, I believe. He splits his time between doing commissions for fans and doing work for IDW, mainly STAR TREK related material. He abhors the CGC situation and does not like it when vendors present (20) copies of the same book to be signed and then resold at a high rate.

It's a pity too as I would love to get SUPERMAN #1 signed by him.

this same stuff was said about frank miller. you never know

Frank is more open to doing appearances and signings than Byrne is. Again, he has not done any conventions in 11 years.

http://www.byrnerobotics.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=49016&PN=1&totPosts=0&FID=3&PR=3

Except he is doing creation Vegas Star Trek

Yeah, I know. I posted it earlier. lol

this same stuff was said about frank miller. you never know

What was said about Byrne, was never said about Miller. Access to Miller has been limited beginning with his Hollywood success, and continuing through a serious illness. Prior to 2006, Frank was doing cons and signing lots of books. Frank was available just by waiting in line as late as NYCC in either 2012 or 2013.

Byrne was available exactly one time, in 2004, and has never been seen again.

Yeah, its my hope as well that this may lead to something. You never really know. From what I have heard, John Bryne was just burned from doing shows. He admitted that as a result, he was developing a bad attitude about many aspects of the conventions and he felt his comic work needed to come first. I see this as MAYBE there is a small part of him that is "dipping his toe in the water." Go to a Con, see what its like after so many years and if he enjoys, he may be open to doing more.

And I hope he does, not just because we want more SS books, but for him to go and see that is not vilified by comic fans, no one is trying to make up stories or get under his skin.....he should go to receive the accolades he so richly deserves.