• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does JOHN BYRNE make appearances?

55 posts in this topic

Wow now I remember why I don't post as much as I used to and I don't understand the comment on my email getting hacked.

As for the Meme of leave Mr. Byrne alone. I am just saying there is no need to further the man off and make him decide to not make a public appearance for another 11 years

John Byrne puts his pants on the same way everyone else does, presumably. He was a talented comic artist for a good 25 years. When I was 8, he was my favorite.

If the ramblings of a bunch of faceless people talking about trying to get him to sign copies of comics he drew, causes him to withdraw from the public even more, and become even more surly than he already is, then that would be dumb.

I don't get the bowing and scraping. People are just talking about awesome it would be if he would sign some of the comics he drew, or wrote, or both.

I have to respectfully disagree here. I do not believe that it would be dumb for Byrne to consider the ramblings of a bunch of faceless people in this thread. It would in fact be reasonable for him to assume that these same faceless people would be standing in front of him -- with faces and books -- at the next con at which he agrees to sign. And this thread illustrates that some of these faceless people are not just talking about how awesome it would be for him to sign some books. Posting those pics, clearly designed to embarrass and/or ridicule him, speak to another motive, in my opinion. I don't see anything productive coming out of this.

So one guy deciding to be a tool, and posting pictures that are already obviously in the public domain, would be exactly, what, as far as this discussion goes? Surely no one who has been in a mass media like comics has the reasonable expectation that everyone is going to say nice things about them in perpetuity?

Also, do you see what you did there, in the bolded part? What I said was that it would be dumb if the consideration of faceless ramblings caused him to withdraw from the public even more. Yet somehow, you imply that I said it would be dumb for him to consider the ramblings. A modicum of intellectual honesty in these situations would go a long way.

Sometimes it's you. :shy:

Facilitating that show for purpose of getting multiple books signed by john byrne is a poor idea. Mr. Byrne has expressly stated that he will only be signing star trek books and only one copy of each issue. He would most likely turn anyone away with multiples of the same issue or marvel dc superhero comics.

I agree 100%. I wasn't actually thinking about Byrne books, I just want someone to be there so I could get more Star Trek actor sigs because we're losing so many of the old actors and some of them only do trek cons... I was kinda kidding. (but not really. but kinda. But kinda not.)

Wow now I remember why I don't post as much as I used to and I don't understand the comment on my email getting hacked.

As for the Meme of leave Mr. Byrne alone. I am just saying there is no need to further the man off and make him decide to not make a public appearance for another 11 years

John Byrne puts his pants on the same way everyone else does, presumably. He was a talented comic artist for a good 25 years. When I was 8, he was my favorite.

If the ramblings of a bunch of faceless people talking about trying to get him to sign copies of comics he drew, causes him to withdraw from the public even more, and become even more surly than he already is, then that would be dumb.

I don't get the bowing and scraping. People are just talking about awesome it would be if he would sign some of the comics he drew, or wrote, or both.

Good post. Man was a genius in his prime. There are pages he drew that I saw as an 8-year old that stunned me - and still do now. I was certainly one of the faithful - Byrne did something, I bought it.

All that said, there was work by Simonson, Perez, Grell and Chaykin that blew my mind too and I can still meet them and shake their hands and get them to sign my ratty copies of 30 year old books. If they are irritated with me asking questions about stuff they did 30+ years ago, I'd never know it. Byrne seems to have taken a different path. He sure doesn't owe me anything but it would be awesome if he started leaving the house again. He still has a legion of us who are his fans and if random internet posts are the source of his self-imposed exodus from the public, that's terrible...and really sad.

Good post. Man was a genius in his prime. There are pages he drew that I saw as an 8-year old that stunned me - and still do now. I was certainly one of the faithful - Byrne did something, I bought it.

All that said, there was work by Simonson, Perez, Grell and Chaykin that blew my mind too and I can still meet them and shake their hands and get them to sign my ratty copies of 30 year old books. If they are irritated with me asking questions about stuff they did 30+ years ago, I'd never know it. Byrne seems to have taken a different path. He sure doesn't owe me anything but it would be awesome if he started leaving the house again. He still has a legion of us who are his fans and if random internet posts are the source of his self-imposed exodus from the public, that's terrible...and really sad.

Agreed, all the way around.

The fact he is signing anything at all people should be happy. I like his work he has made me happy. If he says no to signing something or making an appearance in the end that is his choice. He is still working in the industry and releasing material that is the most anyone can ask out of the man. Maybe he has personal reasons not to attend conventions like a disability none of us know about that causes him to struggle when making public appearances. Whatever his reasons are that is his business and choice. John Byrne owes us nothing and if your his fan you owe him the shirt off your back if you respect his work that much.

With that said SeanFingh is right there is nothing wrong with dreaming and saying how great it would be to get Byrne to sign this issue or that issue. If no one dreamed the human civilization would be dead.

As far as Byrne off. If I was in Byrne's shoes I would be more offended by the fans saying leave me alone and telling my other fans what to do. Seems like those fans are the ones causing the commotion making something bigger then what it really needs to be.

Got Mr. Byrne to autograph this novel he did during his stint on Wonder Woman in the 90's. Though i primarily collect golden age now, as a young collector coming up John Byrne and George Perez were the kings to me. He signed this at an in store appearance at the old 'Jim Hanley's Universe' in NYC. Though i knew even then personalized autographed items can sometimes affect resale value i did not care. Having a childhood hero personalize something to me was all that mattered. (He also autographed a copy of Wonder Woman #1 he did, not personalized. I have long since sold that book, but with that happening before CGC signature witness, it's a moot point.) IMG_1674_zps2xztkbmc.jpg

05667f06-c1ea-4da3-90b6-44306e13aab2_zpsws85wl6z.jpg

But, him being from Canada may require a better snow job than that! I remember his charging Marvel his regular page rate for a couple pages that were completely void of any art, a blinding snow storm being the premise. May have been Alpha Flight? Those 2 original pages must be hanging on someone's (white) wall?

At least you got a Byrne Notice on his signing criteria. You could make up a 'signing window' cutout so that he thinks he's signing Star Trek, when it's actually an X-Men, Superman, Wonder Woman.....?

Not ethical (tsk)

I can't blame the guy for not wanting to sign. Dude's put in his time, and probably just wants to chill and enjoy his life outside of comics. Mr. Lee on the other hand will be signing on his deathbed.

Has anyone reached out for a private signing? He may dislike conventions, but for the right price per signature he may be open to a one time or once a year signing similar to Todd McFarlane's arrangement.

Has anyone reached out for a private signing? He may dislike conventions, but for the right price per signature he may be open to a one time or once a year signing similar to Todd McFarlane's arrangement.

Many times. That's not to say it may not work in the future, but it has failed many times.