• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How do you do it?

64 posts in this topic

There's a fine line between collecting and investing for sure.

Buy with your heart and keep the money coming from your "fun money" or disposable income stash and you will find it really doesn't matter what the market does.

Collecting something and having the funds to do so goes WAY beyond investing and in most cases that is where you will find the high end, best of the best, items.

Most collector's don't care so much what the price is they just want the item and will spend to get it as they have NO plans to ever get rid of it. This is where the giant auction values on high end books come from.

At the end of the day you'll buy what you love and could really care less what the "market" says your item is worth because you really wouldn't sell it regardless of how high or low the value is to others. It's "priceless" to you and your collection.

You'll let your children or whomever gets your things figure that out someday.

You can just enjoy it.

I only got back into the comic book world, after a 20 year absence, about six years ago… at the time, I bought my AS 8 6.0 for $10K (and traded in it for an Action 7 1.0)… decided not to buy the B&B 28 8.0 for $11K that was offered to me… was an underbidder on the AS 8 8.0 that sold for $45K… bought and sold some early Tecs for less than 1/2 of what they're selling today…. bla bla bla…

And now I'm looking at the prices of many GA books, and I am having a hard time pulling the trigger on anything with the high prices these days…

How do you do it? How to buy books today that you had 5 years ago for 20% of today's price?

I struggle with thinking it's all overpriced!

visit the stores and booths without security cameras.

I think you have to ask yourself why you are involved in the hobby. Investment?, Pride of Ownership?, Thrill of the Hunt?, Big ego? or combination of any of these?

The only reason I buy comics is so I can post the scans here and impress you bunch of losers.

The howl of the alpha male collector. ^^

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> hm

323481067.jpg

heman_zpsc5e65b90.jpg

I've been doing this for a LONG time. I have to say, I've seen comic books just continue to rise especially on the blue chip stuff. I have had to eat my words more than once..

That being said, any licensed and legimate investment advisor would say it is a VERY risky investment. I tend to agree that if you put your money into rental buildings or other real estate, blue chip stocks ect. it is far more prudent and safe.

I've had my collection a LONG time. I will make a stupid profit when I throw in the towel.

Of course I would expect your normal licensed and legitimate financial investment advisor to say that comic books are a VERY RISKY investment, for the simple reason that 99.9% of them would know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING at all about the comic book market.

I am, however, a bit surprised to hear you agree so wholeheartedly with this opinion, especially considering that in your own words, you seen blue chip comics do nothing but just continue to rise and you also stand to make a stupid profit when it's all said and done.

Personally, I see just as much risk in some of the other "safer and more prudent" investment vehicles which you mentioned such as real estate and blue chip stocks. Although I do not personally know many people (if any at all) that have lost money in real estate, I do know many people that have lost a ton of money in the stock market.

I believe there is risk in any market you put your money in, whether it be comics, real estate, stocks, or what have you. It's really a matter of understanding the market you are in and not simply chasing after the latest hot item or paying top dollar for something that will most likely have nowhere to go but down. hm

We both agree with the fact that a financial investor would know nothing of the comic book market. Neither would most anyone outside of this hobby. "Collectibles" are traditionally very risky (baseball cards, Barbie dolls, stamps, even fine art to name just a few). The right comic books for some odd reason have not only held their value but even appreciated even in bad times. But ONLY to a very finite group. Yes, I can't lose. I've been buying comics and kept them for close to 50 years. At the time, they were "penny stocks" if you were looking at them as an investment. Today's Action #1 money is a whole different thing as are the few people with the money and guts to jump into the pool.

There is risk in ANY investment. Some are riskier than others. Buy an apartment building in my area and you can quit working to count your money. Of course, the comics I sold many years ago to buy my house have gone up WAY more than my house but who would have known and I have never regretted it. I could sell my house today, move almost anywhere in the country, pay cash for a nice house and retire with 2/3rds of the profits to live on.

When I mention stock, I am talking about buying "blue chip" stock and staying in for the long ride. I also have a decent portfolio of the Action #1 of stocks that I have hung on to and that has preformed well for me over the years.

I do not claim to be any kind of investment professional. I just use common sense when I spend large amounts of money on anything.I generally look at my collection as personal enjoyment and not a retirement fund. I do not spend huge amounts of money on books. When I do, I usually think more about how much I spent rather than enjoy what I spent the money on. Will I make money when I sell my books? Without a doubt and even I would be surprised on a lot of them. It just isn't my mail motivation in this hobby.