• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why the '90s rocked...

94 posts in this topic

We regularly hear the word "drek" when people mention comics from the '90s but why ? There is no doubt that comics were overproduced in certain years. Does this make them less collectible ? Less fun to read ? Instead of the constant barrage of negatives thrown at these comics, let's look at some of the positives.

Stormwatch/The Authority by Warren Ellis - the quintessential epic of a JLA power level team without the moral or ethical constraints. Throw in an almost CIA like guy in charge and it made for some really great reads.

Planetary by Warren Ellis - it is nearly impossible to describe this book without giving away a little too much of the plot but rest assured, it is head and shoulders above most stories that I've ever read.

JLA by Grant Morrison and Mark Waid - This was the most well written run the Justice League ever had imo. Villains like Prometheus and the White Martians were great. Batman went to another level and this was the 2nd book that opened our eyes to how Batman could be an equal to all of DC's super powered beings.

Sin City by Frank Miller - Gritty, noir, beautiful, and harsh are the words I'd use to describe this series. The best books of this type ever imo.

Kingdom Come by Mark Waid and Alex Ross - what if all of the supers got old and all but a few quit trying to Hepplewhite improve the world ? What if a younger group of heroes put less value in the safety and well being of the common man ? What if the old heroes like Superman and Batman decided to try to make a difference again ? Yeah, all of that and beautiful art to boot. Must read story.

I'll be back with lots more but I'm hoping you guys have lots of books to add. I'm in a mood to go back and read some great stories. (thumbs u

Rising Stars by JMS- an event causes a group of children to gain a superpower. Some have strength, invulnerability, speed, etc.. When one of them dies, the others become more powerful. Absolute power corrupts....this could be a problem.

JSA by Geoff Johns - there may be better writers than Johns but if there are, they aren't by much and there aren't many. The JSA had been a 2nd tier team to the JLA for many years but that changed with this series. Must read stuff.

Hitman by Garth Ennis. - a mind reading hitman who only takes out what he believes to be people deserving of his kind of end. Irreverent humor mixed with gritty, street level action, along with a few all powerful super beings. lol

Hellboy by Mike Mignola - you've read the books and seen the movies. This is a very cool, character driven story with art that you'll either love or hate. Mignola's art doesn't fit the standard '90s mold.

Runs that stood out.

The Death of Superman - Superman, who has only been limited by his own moral code, has to decide whether or not his beliefs are more important than the people he protects. This and Action Comics #775 are the 2 books that show the terrible weight of extreme power. Loves it !

Batman Knightfall - so Batman can outsmart, outspend, and outfight almost everybody. Well, what happens when everybody keeps coming, one after another ? Bad things....

Infinity Gauntlet - Thanos versus everybody who is somebody. The Marvel U is is trouble.

more good reads...

Wolverine: Fatal Attractions - Wolverine was at the top of the heap when this story was written and other a death, things couldn't get much worse than he runs into Magneto. Sometimes we think our abilities are greater than they are and that is exactly what happens to Logan. This run led to a series of events in which Wolverine was vulnerable to formerly lesser or equal enemies.

lol

Nope. I've just noticed a lot of bashing on these books and there was a lot of great stuff. (thumbs u

Yeah, but you can say that about any era. The 90s will forever be remembered by me as the Imagization of comic books and a LOT of garbage that looked and felt the same was released by Marvel and DC.

Non Marvel and DC, I'll agree had some good stuff.

lol

Nope. I've just noticed a lot of bashing on these books and there was a lot of great stuff. (thumbs u

I am with you. The 90's comic book era was not just foil covers, bad girls, pouches, and ending with a bursting speculator bubble. We are talking about a ten year comics span here people.

1991 X-Men 1 -3 "Mutant Genesis" Jim Lee and Chris Claremont. The mutant terrorist Magneto threatens the world again, and only the X-Men can stop him!

1995-1996 Age of Apocalypse

1996-1997 Heroes Reborn

These might not be examples of great writing but the artwork at the time had a hold on me. Was I alone?

The 90's had a ton of great stuff, though... I'm not seeing much of it mentioned yet. ;)

Most of my favorite comics of all time are from the 90's, including Sandman Mystery Theatre, Starman, Bone, Box Office Poison, and Astro City.

Almost the entirety of Sandman came out in the 90's, along with a bunch of other top notch Vertigo stuff. I personally don't care for Preacher, but I seem to be about alone in that. Transmetropolitan is another title that I don't personally like but which is worth mentioning.

Top 10 started in 1999, as did Promethea.

lol

Yeah, but you can say that about any era. The 90s will forever be remembered by me as the Imagization of comic books and a LOT of garbage that looked and felt the same was released by Marvel and DC.

Non Marvel and DC, I'll agree had some good stuff.

I liked a lot of Image and Valiant books back then. Even some of the corny ones. lol

lol

I am with you. The 90's comic book era was not just foil covers, bad girls, pouches, and ending with a bursting speculator bubble. We are talking about a ten year comics span here people.

1991 X-Men 1 -3 "Mutant Genesis" Jim Lee and Chris Claremont. The mutant terrorist Magneto threatens the world again, and only the X-Men can stop him!

1995-1996 Age of Apocalypse

1996-1997 Heroes Reborn

These might not be examples of great writing but the artwork at the time had a hold on me. Was I alone?

I liked all of those. The X-men art by Jim Lee was very cool. Heroes Reborn was a homecoming of sorts. I loved the art on those books too. (thumbs u

The 90's had a ton of great stuff, though... I'm not seeing much of it mentioned yet. ;)

Most of my favorite comics of all time are from the 90's, including Sandman Mystery Theatre, Starman, Bone, Box Office Poison, and Astro City.

Almost the entirety of Sandman came out in the 90's, along with a bunch of other top notch Vertigo stuff. I personally don't care for Preacher, but I seem to be about alone in that. Transmetropolitan is another title that I don't personally like but which is worth mentioning.

Top 10 started in 1999, as did Promethea.

Top 10 :cloud9:

Starman, Resurrection Man, and Astro City were also top notch. The Invisibles were somewhere around this time too. All good stuff. :applause: