• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why the '90s rocked...

94 posts in this topic

Tom, the 90's were a weird time for comic books for sure. It's when I got into comic books as an impresionable teen. Two of my favorite titles were The Amazing Spider-man and Batman. Aside from that i loved Marvels, Kingdom Come, The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Bone, Sin City, etc.

ASM had some cool arcs like Maximum Carnage but it was also during this time we got the whole clone saga / Peter Parker's parents return, mess. :sick:

Then came Image and Valiant and I must admit I was hooked on a lot their titles. My guilty pleasure was Turok Dinosaur Hunter... :insane:

There was a bunch of drek, yeah, and I think it was this over-saturation of carp what caused the proverbial bubble to burst and things to go down the drain pretty rapidly. I think this is the reason why people think of the 90's as a bad time for comic books.

Knightfall is still a good read! To my shame, I still haven't read The Authority or Planetary. :blush:

Tom, the 90's were a weird time for comic books for sure. It's when I got into comic books as an impresionable teen. Two of my favorite titles were The Amazing Spider-man and Batman. Aside from that i loved Marvels, Kingdom Come, The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Bone, Sin City, etc.

ASM had some cool arcs like Maximum Carnage but it was also during this time we got the whole clone saga / Peter Parker's parents return, mess. :sick:

Then came Image and Valiant and I must admit I was hooked on a lot their titles. My guilty pleasure was Turok Dinosaur Hunter... :insane:

There was a bunch of drek, yeah, and I think it was this over-saturation of carp what caused the proverbial bubble to burst and things to go down the drain pretty rapidly. I think this is the reason why people think of the 90's as a bad time for comic books.

Knightfall is still a good read! To my shame, I still haven't read The Authority or Planetary. :blush:

LoXG was legendary. I can't believe I forgot that one. When my bro gets done with my Stormwatch and Authority trades, they're heading your way.

LoXG was legendary. I can't believe I forgot that one. When my bro gets done with my Stormwatch and Authority trades, they're heading your way.

(thumbs u :grin:

Rising Stars by JMS- an event causes a group of children to gain a superpower. Some have strength, invulnerability, speed, etc.. When one of them dies, the others become more powerful. Absolute power corrupts....this could be a problem.

I've never heard of it, but, since you recommended it, I bought the run sight unseen on eBay (thumbs u

Rising Stars by JMS- an event causes a group of children to gain a superpower. Some have strength, invulnerability, speed, etc.. When one of them dies, the others become more powerful. Absolute power corrupts....this could be a problem.

I've never heard of it, but, since you recommended it, I bought the run sight unseen on eBay (thumbs u

I hope you like it at least half as much as I did. If you do, its a winner. He also did a 12 issue? run with Gary Frank on a book called Midnight Nation. MN wasn't a hero story by any means but I enjoyed it too. He was on fire back then imo. (thumbs u

Be a bit more interesting and tougher for books pre-1998.

A lot of books in 1998 and 1999 really have the feel of the post-2000 (just before their time).

Planetary, Authority, and JSA are among those. Probably throw Flash Johns in that mix too.

I've had the same beef for a very long time. There were plenty that were good. Granted, TONS of garbage. But I look at the shelves today and there is as much garbage as there was then. Maybe more with the quantities of indies today. It was the sheer print runs and how people lost their shirts then that continues the negative vibe.

What about Kingdom Come?

Green Lantern going nutz?

Midnight Nation was definitely in the late 90s. But it was FANTASTIC. But Strazin#$*(#$(Ki on the comic map with Rising Stars. Rising Stars was solid but the ending arc was marginal and WAY too late.

Patrick

Be a bit more interesting and tougher for books pre-1998.

A lot of books in 1998 and 1999 really have the feel of the post-2000 (just before their time).

Planetary, Authority, and JSA are among those. Probably throw Flash Johns in that mix too.

I've had the same beef for a very long time. There were plenty that were good. Granted, TONS of garbage. But I look at the shelves today and there is as much garbage as there was then. Maybe more with the quantities of indies today. It was the sheer print runs and how people lost their shirts then that continues the negative vibe.

What about Kingdom Come?

Green Lantern going nutz?

Midnight Nation was definitely in the late 90s. But it was FANTASTIC. But Strazin#$*(#$(Ki on the comic map with Rising Stars. Rising Stars was solid but the ending arc was marginal and WAY too late.

Patrick

+1 Was just as much drek then as now only difference is we had overprinting / fad collecting + speculating for future gains then and now we have smaller print runs sure however the new "over printing" isn't copies its transitioned to begin over saturation of properties across film / tv. Burnout always happens with either scenario.

Stay thirsty my friends....

stay-thirsty.jpg

Sandman, Preacher, and Bone are three of the greatest comic series over 50 issues ever written. Good times.

Cry for Dawn (and Dawn) are the early part of the 90s. Most would put them in the 80s from a feel perspective, but the vast majority are 90s. Love the artwork but personally think the story sucks.

Shame on me for not thinking of Transmet. WAYYYYY ahead of it's time.

Patrick

Sandman, Preacher, and Bone are three of the greatest comic series over 50 issues ever written. Good times.

Cry for Dawn (and Dawn) are the early part of the 90s. Most would put them in the 80s from a feel perspective, but the vast majority are 90s. Love the artwork but personally think the story sucks.

Shame on me for not thinking of Transmet. WAYYYYY ahead of it's time.

Patrick

Poison Elves/ I Lusipher was in there too. I never missed that book. Linsner made awesome covers on those Dawn books too. (thumbs u

I was 9 years old in 1992 when Image began. Marvel ceased to exist in my world as I was focused on the independent creations of McFarlane, Silvestri, Kieth, Liefeld, Lee, Portacio, Larsen, Valentino, Keown, etc.

Over the last 2 years or so I decided to recollect my childhood favorites, and here they are!

Early%20Image_zpskdfqi3d5.jpg

Youngblood_zps1tcnhp2b.jpg

Spawn_zpsa8vxigqv.jpg

The%20Maxx%20V2_zpsmczlq2f7.jpg

WildCATS_zpstaqstcsr.jpg

Shadowhawk_zps8185n1gc.jpg

Cyber%20Force_zpsiat0kstk.jpg

Savage%20Dragon%20Limited%20Series_zpskovgh8hz.jpg

Pitt_zpsdr1cz3fz.jpg

scan0001_zps0742dcb1.jpg

I loved and still read Peter David's run on Incredible Hulk, esp. when Keown was the artist. Near the end of the run his art started getting spotty but that might have been because he had different inkers. When Bob McLeod was inking, the art was exceptional.

I also got hooked on Next Men, which I always thought was a more cynical R rated version of X-Men.

Anyone got any other unheralded runs?

Unheralded?

I really enjoyed the pre-Ellis Stormwatch. It ALWAYs gets dogged.

I loved the characters and thought they didn't get the respect and longevity they deserved.

I loved when they released #25, at the beginning of the run, and it was a crazy future event of what was to come. That was somewhere around #10 (don't remember the actual issue #s). Then they filled in #11 thru 24 to get to the point of Issue #25.

I loved the story around Stormwatch Prime!

I do believe the change was needed as the issues directly preceding Ellis' run were super awful. Like the Fire From Heaven crossover. The 27 thru 36 felt super pointless.

Patrick

TX, those Image books are great memories for me too. I read Spawn as soon as it came out. Was it the greatest story ever ? Nah, but it was good enough with cool concepts like a limit on how much power he could use even though he seemed ultra powerful. I loved when he took on Overtkill. :cloud9: