• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Monkees vs Beatles

68 posts in this topic

"The local rock group down the street Is trying hard to learn their song"

"See Mrs. Gray she's proud today because her roses are in bloom"

I don't know why, but I always find myself singing these verses. Catchy, catchy, catchy.

My favorite song of their's for sure.

Scoff if you must at the manufactured "PreFab Four," but this much (at least) is true: the guy hired as an actor to play a singing drummer (Micky Dolenz) inexplicably turned out to have one of the better, and certainly one of the most distinctive, pop-rock singing voices of the swinging '60s. Durable, too:

What were the odds?

Scoff if you must at the manufactured "PreFab Four," but this much (at least) is true: the guy hired as an actor to play a singing drummer (Micky Dolenz) inexplicably turned out to have one of the better, and certainly one of the most distinctive, pop-rock singing voices of the swinging '60s. Durable, too:

What were the odds?

Not denying their talent, but The Beatles they are not.

Not denying their talent, but The Beatles they are not.

Well of course they weren't. Then again, who was/is? But they were often quite good at what they did.

Btw...like the Beatles, they also got their psychedelic freak on. If you haven't seen Head, it's worth a look:

The last train to Clarkesville. Another good song from them. Although they were made for T.V. they took on a life of there own. Auntie Grizelda is another good song from them. I'm sure there are a few more I am missing. Because they were made for t.v. is the reason they are not in the R and R Hall Of Fame. They sold a massive amount of records. Over 75 million world wide!!! But the head honcho of the RRHOF say's No. They did a version of Kicks that was pretty good as well.

This is all kinds of weird and fascinating...especially knowing what's to come if they land the gig. Silent scenes followed by interviews. And young, damn they look so young in the tests.

(plus the guys who didn't make it, I assume)

That was pretty entertaining. :applause:

If you really want to have your mind blown watch the documentary "The Wrecking Crew". It wasn't just The Monkees, but just about every toe-tapping mindworm diddy you can imagine from that era.

"...the general public didn't know..." Check the Trailer for a taste - but be warned - it's some perspective-shifting stuff.

Thanks for posting that.

Welcome. (thumbs u

One part that stuck with me was band members, after a record was cut, being concerned of going on stage... "I'll never be able to play THAT!"

That had to be a genuine fear, some fresh jaw-dropping riff by a master-level musician and the world thinks it's YOU. :eek:

My wife's cousin made this documentary. It's incredible. I thought I knew a lot about music, evidently I was wrong.

I'm not sure this is a spoiler, because I can't remember if it was in the movie or if Denny Tedesco told us after we watched it in Cleveland when it played there. The WC were recording an album with Jan and Dean. Either Jan or Dean passed out sheet music to everyone and they started playing.

One of them looked at guitarist Tommy Tedesco (Denny's father), and said "Tommy, what the hell are you playing?"

Evidently, he looked up puzzled and said something to the effect of, "I'm playing what you gave me." Jan or Dean walk over to him, picked up the sheet music, looked at it, turned it right side up, put it back down and walked away.

Tommy Tedesco is credited as being the most widely recorded guitarist of all time, including the theme to Bat Man and The Twilight Zone...and Bonanza. This among all the other popular songs most of us know.

Great movie. The Wrecking Crew (back up band that played on the album Pet Sounds also played on the first 2 Monkees albums before the boys played all the instruments themselves starting with Headquarters in 1967......CC-When Davy dies his daughters put up some of his belongings up for auction. I won his California drivers license from 1965-1967. It's a cool piece that I had to have. don't know how to post pics on here put if you PM me a number to text it to I will ....and you could post if so inclined. Thanks for posting the HQ video of Daydream Believer btw.....

The Monkees just released their first single in 30 years. I wasn't a fan of the song but the video takes pages from the comic books (published by Dell) to tell the story with the lyrics

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/7350129/monkees-rivers-cuomo-she-makes-me-laugh-single

Very cool, thanks for posting that. And that license is awesome, let me know if it's ever for sale!

Very cool, thanks for posting that. And that license is awesome, let me know if it's ever for sale

Will do! Thanks. It's a fun piece...

Oh, (Sean) , dig your sig series signed by most of the band. Great cover to have signed