• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What defects does CGC really mark down for?

56 posts in this topic

Does anyone know what type of hit you take with a NM-MT book at about 9.6-9.8 BUT! There is a small scuff mark about 1/16-1/8" on the cover where the top staple is. I do not have a pic. Just try to imagine a perfect book with that type of scuff. My comic guy has a case of secret wars 8 with 90% of the copies having that small scuff most likely from a staple that protrudes a bit from inside the book from a slight production error. aby opinions would be highly apreciated and may help many others understand scuffs. Thanks

I just had 2 X BA 16 (Vol 2) back from the CGC, one newsstand and one direct sales.

The NS looked to me to be a 9.6 minimum, the spine has no visible wear, no spine ticks, the book sat flat. All corners were razor sharp, I found a minuscule light non colour breaking dent close to the spine above the bottom staple, around a mm across, and that was it. It came back a 9.4, the graders notes just said, a small stain on the back cover left center. I have looked and looked, still can't see it.

The direct sales came back a 9.6, it has light spine wear and a small non colour breaking spine tick, the corners spine side are not as sharp as the NS.

So stains are obviously hammered.

sure it's lower, I guess what I would considered hammered would be apparent 9.6+ and it comes back 7.5 or something for the stain.

something like this has happened to me before - I had a Wolverine #1 that looked to me like a NM book. I bought the book a few years before I sent it to CGC (forgot there was a stain on the back cover)... and didn't look at the book before submitting it because I had my dad do it while he was in Florida...anyway, it came back a 7.5 and I near freaked...

no worse feeling that expecting 9.4 and getting 7.5... well maybe there are worse feelings, but this was pretty crummy.

Rusty staples

Not as much as you would think. You can get a 9.0 with very rusty staples. Try that with an equal amount of water stain, or some other stain. Not going to happen

There have been a couple of times that I've been interested in books graded 8.0 and up. Bought the grader's notes to find that the books had rusty staples that were not visible on the scans. Passed on the books.

Rusty staples

Not as much as you would think. You can get a 9.0 with very rusty staples. Try that with an equal amount of water stain, or some other stain. Not going to happen

There have been a couple of times that I've been interested in books graded 8.0 and up. Bought the grader's notes to find that the books had rusty staples that were not visible on the scans. Passed on the books.

I don't understand why CGC doesn't list rusty staples on the label, similar to tape. I don't like rusty staples and it is very hard to tell by looking at a scan. It's a flaw that can get worse in the slab. I remember seeing it marked on an old label. I once asked CGC to comment here on the Boards in a friendly discussion on rusty staples but got nothing, not even a reply. (shrug)

Rusty staples

I don't understand why CGC doesn't list rusty staples on the label, similar to tape. I don't like rusty staples and it is very hard to tell by looking at a scan. It's a flaw that can get worse in the slab. I remember seeing it marked on an old label. I once asked CGC to comment here on the Boards in a friendly discussion on rusty staples but got nothing, not even a reply. (shrug)

..... I've seen otherwise 9.0's end up in 7.0 slabs due to the most minor amount of rust migration..... they're hard on it, but it's high on the peeve list of many collectors. I personally can live with it in minor amounts on a scarce or wildly cool book ...... but it's hard to beat some nice shiny staples :cloud9: GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u