• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which would you take? A graded slab vs a apparently high grade raw?

32 posts in this topic

So just curious what people would prefer. Assuming a desirable issue, would you take a graded slab vs potentially score on an apparently high grade raw?

Example, you have the opportunity to get a 9.6 comic or would you take a chance on a apparently very high grade but raw of the same issue at say $150?

Your question is very vague. Are you asking about the same book, raw or slabbed, or simply different books. Is this a question on how to allocate your funds or pick up a specifically desired book. I don't understand how the reference to 150.00 comes into play.

Same book raw vs slabbed, The raw is cheaper but you are trusting you own grading skills, but it seems to you to be very high grade. The prices were given just as realistic hypothetical, where raws are usually significantly cheaper, but do not have that seal of approval. Not based on any real world purchases. Just curious if collects trust themselves, and are willing to gamble a little vs taking the sure thing.

Are you saying 9.6 isn't high grade?

No, it is just an example. If you have two of the exact same issue, one slabbed and one raw. The raw is cheaper and looks like it has the chance to be a higher grade once graded, which do you purchase. I could just as easily said you have a 8.0 sitting in front of you and a raw of the same comic in the same grade range, which do people tend to take.

Sorry if that was not clear.

This would make more sense if it was a 8.5 vs a book that looked really good that you thought might be a 9.4-9.6 but could be an 8.5 or 8.0

No, it is just an example. If you have two of the exact same issue, one slabbed and one raw. The raw is cheaper and looks like it has the chance to be a higher grade once graded, which do you purchase. I could just as easily said you have a 8.0 sitting in front of you and a raw of the same comic in the same grade range, which do people tend to take.

Getting there.

So one is a raw 9.8 candidate, and the other is a slabbed 9.6, which do you choose? Is that your question?

The more expensive and key the book, I would opt for the slab. If it's a relatively cheaper book, and I would consider 150.00 a cheaper book in today's marketplace, I may take the risk on the raw.

Yea $150 is a good line in the sand. Anything over that, I'd prefer a graded book. That is even more true when making the purchase online. You just never know, but the grading helps give some reassurance.

Getting there.

So one is a raw 9.8 candidate, and the other is a slabbed 9.6, which do you choose? Is that your question?

That is a good question also. Do people tend to take the sure thing, or trust their own grading skills and potentially really find a better copy or even a truly great copy but must risk taking a raw issue.