• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Significant others VS. comic books

95 posts in this topic

Admit nothing! You may have an honest and frank relationship in every other way, so console yourself that if secrecy is required here, it's her fault not yours. Don't try and preach to her or convert her and above all, keep the receipts at work.

screwy.gif, screwy.gif and double screwy.gifscrewy.gif

try and get her involved. Buy her the "Fables" trade paperback and let her read it. If she can get a little enjoyment out of new comics she many be more understanding

West

Oh yeah, I asked my girlfriend if she wanted to start getting a comic series about 8 months ago so I could get back into comics. She picked up Supreme Power number four, and then got all the back issues, then it was MK Spiderman, Superman/Batman, Astonishing X-men. I think it's safe to say she likes Moderns more than I do.

Admit nothing! You may have an honest and frank relationship in every other way, so console yourself that if secrecy is required here, it's her fault not yours. Don't try and preach to her or convert her and above all, keep the receipts at work.

screwy.gif, screwy.gif and double screwy.gifscrewy.gif

confused.gif

I'm probably the luckiest [#@$%!!!] on planet earth. I've been married

to the most wonderful woman

So, that pic in your avatar really is your wife! thumbsup2.gif

A few years back, probably 91 or 92 thumbsup2.gif

Clean up the packages and don't spend so much time online smile.gif

Now, for the whole collecting part, you need to figure out why she dislikes it so much. When I first met my girlfriend she didn't appreciate my comic collecting. She had this preceived notion that comic collector. She thought comics were for kids and for people like the comic book guy on the simpsons.

But after a little bit she finally asked me why I liked comics. And I told her. And when she discovered how much I enjoyed the hobby and the passion I had for it she was able to accept it because she felt the same way about pastry (which is her passion). She didn't have to appreciate the comics themseleves but she ended up appreciating and understanding my passion for a hobby.

She now buys me comics for special occasions and I was able to drag her to the big apple con for a couple of hours last January. Now if I could only get her to appreciate video games, I'd be all set.

I'm probably the luckiest [#@$%!!!] on planet earth. I've been married

to the most wonderful woman

So, that pic in your avatar really is your wife! thumbsup2.gif

A few years back, probably 91 or 92 thumbsup2.gif

why would you make a picture of your wife's [#@$%!!!] your avatar. does she mind?

Every few months dig out some books you bought a few years back and show the price you paid then and what they are worth now. Hopefully you are in the black and problem is solved.

That assumes you are selling tons of books a month, and otherwise you get the old "but you will never sell them" bit that just makes thngs worse.

I just recently got back into collecting and my fiance hates it! What to do?

Leave her.

Would cost alot more than my collecting habits in the long run grin.gif

I have been able to keep my collecting totally separate from the girls I have dated, which was great. They never knew how much I spent on comics vs how much I spent on them. It will be a sad day when I get married and independant Andy dies. frown.gif

BB - I would suggest that perhaps setting up a strict budget where you and your fiance each get your own "fun money". That way you can have the rent and essentials taken care of and have some play money for you.

My two cents,

Bottom line-I turned 38 today, I have a payroll that consist of 9 souls, I provide health insurance and a steady paycheck. I pay Mrs.CC more per week than my highest $ per hour man gets( I have two at $20 per hour). She stays at home, does'nt work a "regular" job, but taking care of our two daughters is a full time job(this fact is not lost on me), so when I want to buy some books( and she knows the appreciation factor of the collection) I do, wether it's a $20 book or a $1000 dollar book. She supports my love of the hobby, and never says one negative thing. Bottom line here is-If you take care of business proper, which should include her if she is truly "significant", then don't worry about it and try to educate her the best you can.Peace CC thumbsup2.gif