• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Significant others VS. comic books

95 posts in this topic

Would you guys really pick comics over someone you consider your soulmate? And we wonder where the "virgin comic collector" stereotype comes from. Are our priorities really that screwed up?

Would you guys really pick comics over someone you consider your soulmate? And we wonder where the "virgin comic collector" stereotype comes from. Are our priorities really that screwed up?

If she's really my soulmate, I shouldn't have to choose between her and comic books. cool.gif

If she's really my soulmate, I shouldn't have to choose between her and comic books. cool.gif

Yea, no doubt! I guess I'm one of the lucky ones because

my wife knew I was a comic freak loooong before we tide the knot! thumbsup2.gif

O.K., here's another question for everyone. What do you do if you have an existing collection and you're engaged to be married. Do you tell the whole truth and live with the consequences, or do you put your most prized posessions in a safety deposit box and never tell a soul? I'm thinking the latter.

Definately. It's none of her business. Keep that bi-atches dirty mits off your books!

I realize that money spent during marriage has to be approved by both parties, but what about an existing collection. I would hate to sell off my key books, just because the new bride wants a bigger house. What do you guys think?

This is the way to handle this scenario: she says you need to sell your comics to pay for something. You say: "hahaha, you're quite the commedienne, BI-ATCH!!!" yay.gif

This is the way to handle this scenario: she says you need to sell your comics to pay for something. You say: "hahaha, you're quite the commedienne, BI-ATCH!!!" yay.gif

foreheadslap.gifWhats to prevent her from starting a bonfire with your books while you're at work 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

foreheadslap.gifWhats to prevent her from starting a bonfire with your books while you're at work 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

893whatthe.gifOMG,.....don't even suggest that !!! makepoint.gif

This is the way to handle this scenario: she says you need to sell your comics to pay for something. You say: "hahaha, you're quite the commedienne, BI-ATCH!!!"

Why do I get the feeling the last time Mr Ultra Pristine has come in contact with a woman's err - privates - was at birth?

This is the way to handle this scenario: she says you need to sell your comics to pay for something. You say: "hahaha, you're quite the commedienne, BI-ATCH!!!"

Why do I get the feeling the last time Mr Ultra Pristine has come in contact with a woman's err - privates - was at birth?

Don't you bring my mother's genitals into this! 893whatthe.gif

I just recently got back into collecting and my fiance hates it! What to do? confused-smiley-013.gif Anyone else have this problem with their wife, girlfriend or significant other?

Well, this all depends on how serious the problem is. If she hates it, and makes a negative comment about it every once in a while, but for the most part leaves you alone about it, then no big deal. You are not always going to both care for or approve of what each other wants to do with your own time and money. However, if this is a serious problem, where you have fights about it, and she is trying to change you to drop this hobby that you love, then you might want to think about making her your ex-fiance. The reason being that if she cannot respect and accept you and all that you are, a comic collector, and realize and understand how much you love comics, and wants you to change, then other things are going to also come up later that she feels the same way about and she'll want you to change again.

Small problem that you can ignore, no big deal. Serious problem between you two, I see red flags. I don't see why any compromises are necessary. You are both single at this time. If you need to stop buying so much so that you will have more money to put into a house, wedding, vacation or whatever, then fine, that's not a compromise, that is you deciding to spend your money on other things that may becoming new priorities. But at this point, BEFORE you are married, do not make bargains with her or let her dictate what you are. As a couple, decide what works best for you both, but don't lose yourself if the mix.

Regarding the apartment clutter and spending too much time online, that is up to you to prioritize while considering her feelings. You may be the kind of person that wants to do your own thing more than she does. If it is not with comics, it may be with something else. She'll need to get used to this, but in this area there may be ways no compromise, unless she is just too needy of your time. With clutter, there is always a bigger apartment or even a storage facility but I think she may have a point here if you invade the space that she wants for her stuff.

All you punks need to listen to BassGMan! He's a wise man. hi.gif

Well, first off never take advice from men who have never been married

Two, never take advice from men who don't know what soap looks like

Third, never take advice from men who think that superhero anime women are hot

Fourth, there are very few men who have ever "scored" at a comic convention. And I'm not talking about picking up a X-Men #94.

Five, Most of the female patrons I have met at shows are "scouts". They are looking for something for their boyfriend or husband. The progression goes like this. First year, I'll look for you. 2nd year, I'll walk around with you. Third year, I'll hang out for an hour. 4th year, give me $$$, I'm going shopping.

My wife loves comics. Why? Because I live in a house that was purchased buying and selling comics. If you don't sell them and prove that they are worth something it doesn't mean anything. If you don't have your priorities straight the only friend you will share time with is made of pulp. And your next step up might be the rubber doll that really knows how you feel.

My wife loves comics. Why? Because I live in a house that was purchased buying and selling comics. If you don't sell them and prove that they are worth something it doesn't mean anything. If you don't have your priorities straight the only friend you will share time with is made of pulp. And your next step up might be the rubber doll that really knows how you feel.

And what are these priorities? Why do you need to sell your comics, or some comics just to prove to your wife/girlfriend that they are worth something? Doesn't your passion for them alone mean that they are worth something? As somebody said before, if your significant other is the right one for you, you will not need to choose. If you do, look for another woman. Any woman that cannot understand the importance to me of my pulpy friends is not a true friend of mine to begin with.

Ok, being that I've met you I'll take my wife over my comics. They are just that, comics. Grow up and learn what is important in life. You can always replace a comic.

1 My kids

2 My comics

3 My wife confused-smiley-013.gif