• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fingerprints on comic

7 posts in this topic

Hi All,

Just got my comics back and was dinged on my X men 96 for a fingerprint on the cover. It came back as a 9.2 and I could see it climbing to a 9.6 or 9.8 if the fingerprint is removed or cleaned. Anyone have advice if this can be done without restoration? You could barely see the fingerprint and I don't think it is from ink.

Thanks,

Robert

Fingerprints come in two varieties.

The most common are a result of the fact that comic books were/are printed with oil based ink. Human fingerprints - like what the police look for - are a combination of sweat and oil. The oil on one's fingerprints can quite literally soften and mix with the ink of the comic book cover, leaving a distinct fingerprint.

If the fingerprint is distinct - if you can see the ridges - then nothing you can do. Anything that removes the fingerprints removes the color as well. If it is just a bit of smudge and doesn't have the distinct look of a fingerprint, it is possible to reduce or eliminate those by buffing carefully with a soft cloth.

Fingerprints in white areas of comics are the same sweat & oil - but also some dirt. These can often - but not always - be cleaned off. Depends mostly on what the "dirt" was. Pizza sauce? Ought of luck. Plain old dirt? May clean up.