• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Explain to me exactly what the qualified lable does?

7 posts in this topic

I get it we have a green label now that is issued to comics that have basically one major flaw, to what would otherwise be a much higher rated book. So my questions are...

1. when is this green label issued?

2. does CGC or the submitter decide if it is a green?

3. How does green affect value?

4. is a green always less desirable than a blue?

I get it we have a green label now that is issued to comics that have basically one major flaw, to what would otherwise be a much higher rated book. So my questions are...

1. See BlowUpTheMoon's link

2. CGC does. For a book that would otherwise go in a green label, you can ask to have it put in a blue label slab instead with the defect being treated as grade-dropping.

3) It lowers it significantly (yes, there are a couple of exceptions, but, in general, green label books are a PITA to sell)

4) In general, yes. Again - there are exceptions where the green label grade is so much higher than the blue label grade, that it's either a wash or the green label copy will command a higher price, but for equal books, people will always choose the blue label.

I have to ask - what do you mean we have a "green label now"? The green label has been around for a decade :shrug:

The green--- typically is a much higher grade than what the book would be in blue.

Examples of what gets a green -

Hulk 181 missing a value stamp. The value stamp makes the book incomplete - but does not affect the story. So instead of a .5 incomplete - the book is slabbed with green label at the grade it would receive if complete.

DD 7 - another example - I have a copy with one of the pinup pages removed. Blue would be .5 ---but it got a green 4.5 (missing pinup did not affect story)

Is blue more desirable than green? - for 2 different books of the same grade in the slab - almost always yes. For one individual book - you probably want the green as it would be significantly higher in grade.

Exceptions would be for non-witnessed signatures. These books are given the "grade" the book would receive anyway--- if the sig is visible and can be reasonably be verified, then it would retain value, might even get a bump.

This video should help. :grin:

:foryou:

Exceptions would be for non-witnessed signatures. These books are given the "grade" the book would receive anyway--- if the sig is visible and can be reasonably be verified, then it would retain value, might even get a bump.

That just isn't true at all.

In the vast majority of cases, a green label slab with an unverified cover signature is worth far less than its unsigned counterpart in a blue label slab; most of the time it's a complete waste of $$$ to slab a book with an unverified signature on the cover.