• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If you like Alan Moore...

53 posts in this topic

There's plenty of Alan Moores that will never get discovered and never have the chance to get published. When someone hits the lotto and actually makes it in a competetive field they should thank their lucky stars not act like an entitled assjack.

I like Alan Moore's stuff but he needs to lighten up already take the money a give it to staving kids or donate to down on their luck comic creators.

So fanboys can have their comics? Why would he feel the need to prostitute himself for charity just so some 40 year old in Toledo can read an Alan Moore Batman story? Sounds as unnecessary to me as I'm sure it does to him. lol

lol you might need to lighten up just as much as him. :baiting:

Hey, I'm as light as can be! I just think as real fans of his work, we should branch out and and follow and support his non-DC work, some of which is really fantastic - Providence is amazing and one of the best reads out there right now!

Your reading way too much into this. :makepoint:

Very interesting! He took time to answer questions even about his DC work. The most interesting I thought was this one in reference to the end of Killing Joke. I wish someone would have asked if there is anything DC could do to repair that relationship.

QUESTION: For YEARS we have been left to wonder, due to the wonderful ambiguity of the sound effects, shadowplay, and action happening off-scene in The Killing Joke. what the ending really means and if Batman actually kills the Joker. Now they are making a movie. If you are directly involved, will you finally answer the question?

Alan Moore As with all of the work which I do not own, Im afraid that I have no interest in either the original book, or in the apparently forthcoming cartoon version which I heard about a week or two ago. I have asked for my name to be removed from it, and for any monies accruing from it to be sent to the artist, which is my standard position with all of this...material. Actually, with The Killing Joke, I have never really liked it much as a work although I of course remember Brian Bollands art as being absolutely beautiful simply because I thought it was far too violent and sexualised a treatment for a simplistic comic book character like Batman and a regrettable misstep on my part. So, Pradeep, I have no interest in Batman, and thus any influence I may have had upon current portrayals of the character is pretty much lost on me. And David, for the record, my intention at the end of that book was to have the two characters simply experiencing a brief moment of lucidity in their ongoing very weird and probably fatal relationship with each other, reaching a moment where they both perceive the hell that they are in, and can only laugh at their preposterous situation. A similar chuckle is shared by the doomed couple at the end of the remarkable Jim Thompsons original novel, The Getaway.

Finally, this silly argument is put to rest!

But...but...but....nerds on the internet were so SURE their theory was right, they even insulted people who questioned them and called them mo rons!

:o

And because of it, someday we'll all hold hands as the apocalypse falls down around us.

Will anyone hold Alan's hands?

I like Alan Moore but at the same time he just confuses me. There are plenty of good comic writers that despite the limitations of corporate owned properties that have managed to work for the big two, worked for themselves, and not managed to nuke everything in the process. I agree 100% that a creator has partial rights to any character they create while working for a corporate comic company, and they should be acknowledged as such and given royalties. Yes, Alan Moore got screwed with Watchmen and some of his other work at DC. On the other hand, I have little sympathy when they are allowed to play with established characters, and they are clearly singing contracts which stipulate how royalties and character ownership will be handled after the work is completed. Nobody forced them to agree to the contract.

I do also find it a turn off when Moore goes out of his way to ignore or disparage his older work, because of his falling out. Fans still love these stories, and it almost seems like he disrespecting his fans with many of his comments.

Has he said he was unhappy with his writing or just what was done with his characters later?

I don't think I've ever heard Moore say he did poor writing.

Has he said he was unhappy with his writing or just what was done with his characters later?

I don't think I've ever heard Moore say he did poor writing.

Read his comments above regarding KJ.

He acts like he hasn't written comic books for a lifelong living.

Are people not allowed to look back at their working life and be unhappy with some or most of it?

Not allowed.

I like Alan Moore but at the same time he just confuses me. There are plenty of good comic writers that despite the limitations of corporate owned properties that have managed to work for the big two, worked for themselves, and not managed to nuke everything in the process. I agree 100% that a creator has partial rights to any character they create while working for a corporate comic company, and they should be acknowledged as such and given royalties. Yes, Alan Moore got screwed with Watchmen and some of his other work at DC. On the other hand, I have little sympathy when they are allowed to play with established characters, and they are clearly singing contracts which stipulate how royalties and character ownership will be handled after the work is completed. Nobody forced them to agree to the contract.

Moore doesn't care about the characters he created for DC (like John Constantine) or the stories he wrote about Batman, Green Lantern, etc. He has never made any claims to ownership of such things. He doesn't initiate complaints about DC's use of those characters and stories, but he may occasionally answer specific questions about them.

Moore (co-)owns Watchmen and V for Vendetta. However, an agreement was made that DC would control (effectively own) those properties as long as they were in print. Moore didn't realize when making the agreement that DC would never let them go out-of-print!

I do also find it a turn off when Moore goes out of his way to ignore or disparage his older work, because of his falling out. Fans still love these stories, and it almost seems like he disrespecting his fans with many of his comments.

"I have found it to be in my own emotional best interests to completely sever my association with all of those works which I do not own, and which thus I can only disown. The alternative is to remain simultaneously angry and depressed about these things, and I don’t see how that would serve anybody’s best interests."

"I know that for a lot of people, these works may be their very favourite pieces and may personally mean a lot to them, and I certainly appreciate that affection and apologise if my position is dispiriting. The readers have every right to enjoy these books, but I would just ask everyone to understand why I personally cannot enjoy them anymore."

His articulation of wanting to move on and not "care" about the works makes some sense to me. If he can't win in terms of being satisfied with how the properties are handled, and the only way he believes he can cope with the emotions is to disassociate himself, only he can know. I don't think anyone here can argue with a personal choice he feels is best for himself emotionally.

That said, I do wish there was a way he'd be open to reconcile or be able to "let go" in a way which does allow the fans to engage with him on those creations since they were his. It's not like we can go to a different creator to ask questions and enjoy the artistry.

I have enjoyed almost everything Alan Moore has ever written.

Some of the scariest things I've read in my life have been written by him.

I admire his integrity, and I can't think of any other person in comics who has given up the amount of money he has in order to stand by a principle he believes in. The money doesn't go 'poof' - it goes to the other creators.

The comics he is writing right now are some of the best stories on the stands IMO.