• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CAUTION When Using Paypal and paying in Installments!

37 posts in this topic

Possibly for personal transactions, but I used it at TireRack like a year ago because I didn't feel like paying for my whole new set of tires at the same time & they have a paypal checkout option. So it's not a "just ebay" option (unless it's changed in the past 14-16 months.

Have a dispute with a seller (not on the boards) that I paid using paypal. It was for a custom order item and I paid half down and half when it was completed. So an issue happened and I had to file a paypal dispute. Paypal closed my dispute and did not find it in my favor, why? Because payment was split for the item, or it was paid in two installments.

So if you are buying a book on layaway from the boards, and an issue happens, paypal buyer protection is automatically VOID.

Just some food for thought.

UPDATE! I contacted my credit card company regarding the issue I had with the merchant. They said since paypal's terms of services says that any payment made in multiple installments will not be covered under buyer protection, THEY WILL NOT BE ABLE TO DISPUTE THE CHARGE.

That is correct, THE CREDIT CARD COMPANY CAN'T DISPUTE A MULTIPLE PAYMENT CHARGE BECAUSE OF PAYPAL'S TERMS!

FRANKLY FOR ME, ALL INSTALLMENTS WILL NOW ONLY BE WITH PEOPLE I KNOW AND VIA CHECK.

Sorry to hear this , someone already wrote about it , never accept split payments at Paypal

however, if you were to pay by check, you still don't have any ability to do a return or be protected...

thus, you really need to trust the person and the item for sale.... there's no recourse for a return EVER if you do a time payment via any method

correct me if I'm wrong.

Amex will immediately pull that charge from your bill, and then start to investigate it. And you won't actually get charged for the payment until they complete their investigation. I've done it twice. Both non-comic-related. But they won't immediately complete a charge-back until they have some way to prove you got screwed/scammed/whatever.

But even if you call & they pull it from your bill, it'll be still "there"... just not counted towards your payment due until they complete their investigation.

If you provide information that the seller reneged on an agreement, they still may side with you, regardless of the rules of the payment processor (which is all that paypal is). Amex tends to be more interested in protecting their "members" than keeping retailers happy than Visa/MC. At least in my experience. They've been (in my experience), more interested in doing what's "right" than playing lawyer to say "oh, because you technically violated this little rule that the payment processor has to make things less complicated for them, we're not going to help you out here even though it's pretty obvious from the e-mails you provided that the seller screwed you"

If you provide information that the seller reneged on an agreement, they still may side with you, regardless of the rules of the payment processor (which is all that paypal is). Amex tends to be more interested in protecting their "members" than keeping retailers happy than Visa/MC. At least in my experience. They've been (in my experience), more interested in doing what's "right" than playing lawyer to say "oh, because you technically violated this little rule that the payment processor has to make things less complicated for them, we're not going to help you out here even though it's pretty obvious from the e-mails you provided that the seller screwed you"

Amex is interested in keeping members happy. It may not be automatic as someone wrote but it is pretty close. I know this from both sides, I.e., business owner and card holder of a chargeback.

Yeah. I've used Amex twice for chargebacks & they were pretty good with it. Once was for a website purchase that I should have looked at a little harder at before pulling the trigger (it was a Christmas present for my old roomie & the thing was perfect. Too bad it didn't exist & the site was a full on scam but Amex took care of it without issue)

And the other was for a piece of hardware that I bought, was faulty out of the box, and when I sent it back for an exchange, the selling company decided to charge me for the replacement, but claimed it would be "a few weeks" before my refund for the returned item could be processed. After a week or so & a few calls to the company didn't get me anywhere with them processing the refund (and seriously, who charges you for the replacement part immediately but doesn't refund for the part they received back before sending the replacement for weeks? Weak sauce, dude), I called Amex & in 5 minutes, they took it off my bill & it's never reappeared. I did have to provide them a copy of the proof of return for the original part (which I had from UPS already)

Several years ago, I paid for a five night hotel stay at a hotel in Las Vegas. The website clearly stated I could cancel up to 72 hours before check-in for a 100 % refund. I canceled some sixty days out and was surprised I didn't get a credit on my statement. I put in a chargeback and it was rejected because AMEX said I didn't cancel in the required timeframe.I called them and the rep pretty much said the same thing. I pointed out that the days booked were for the next month. She said that seems odd, and got the hotel on the phone for a three way

conversation. Hotel said their policy was a reservation had to be cancelled three days before check-in.

I pointed out the reservation was for November and this was still October.

I eventually got my credit but this was one of the reasons I ditched AMEX. Too many free cards with better benefits, for what I need.