• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Did Gil Kane get art assist for Showcase 22?

6 posts in this topic

My Boss went home to NYC this weekend, and someone he knows up there says they know an 80+ year old gentleman that they say assisted Gil Kane on GL art for Showcase 22. I can't find anything on this...anyone know if he received help on this book, and the person's name? Not the inker or colorist is my understanding. He says he'll recognize the name if he hears it.

Thanks!

You can google-up quotes by Rich Buckler and Howard Chaykin about being assistants to Gil Kane, but that's later sixties.

But, in a way, it shows he used assistants and may've been one himself starting out. Maybe it was a common practice.

Its very likely, and not uncommon, for artists to have assistants work on backgrounds. So Gil would have drawn the Green Lantern and any of the other characters, but an assistant may have drawn the building, the boxes for the windows, skylines, etc.