• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,448 posts in this topic

A little off topic from ducks but there are enough Dell collectors here to appreciate this. My earlier mentioned Peter Pan Treasure Chest a huge Dell Giant that appeared (I would assume) concurrent with the release of the animated feature. Why Dell thought that this book deserved the 50 cent treatment is a story I have never read but would like to someday.

There is a knockoff of Pirates Gold in here too, It doesn't hold a candle to the original in terms of art or presentation.

In all my years of collecting I have rarely seen these in grade. I have had a couple of beater copies over the years but this is the only nice one I have ever seen and picked it up many years ago.

The back cover is a still from the film, very nicely done.

Enjoy.

76387.jpg.6f3ed306699be27eada80ec444d87d8f.jpg

76388.jpg.fd06ac6d00913ab9dff2dc2664925768.jpg

76389.jpg.aa085c4bd219632e53272f3251904ddd.jpg

76391.jpg.ad9534cea246daab3cf68d3a31af026e.jpg

76392.jpg.5d2672e7a82ef6c791ce4fbd6dd922de.jpg

As I mentioned earlier it was claimed to be a file copy. This would have been about '75 or '76 in New York. I didn't even know what a file copy was but I remember the guy telling me that not that it mattered, I just thought it was a very cool book. In this condition I would have to believe it was a file copy or a book that someone had somehow put aside and took care of over the years. We'll never know but it has been in my care for over thirty years now!

I cut my finger on those edges once!

As I mentioned earlier it was claimed to be a file copy. This would have been about '75 or '76 in New York. I didn't even know what a file copy was but I remember the guy telling me that not that it mattered, I just thought it was a very cool book. In this condition I would have to believe it was a file copy or a book that someone had somehow put aside and took care of over the years. We'll never know but it has been in my care for over thirty years now!

Color touch! Bondage cover too.

Great copy of a great book that I've never heard of. OS price is over the top but probably realistic given the scarcity and chances of finding one in nice condition. It looks like there was a partial reprint (68 out of 212 pages) in 1991. Anyone have one to compare?

Jack

I don't have my outdated guide with me, so no help there. That's a gorgeous book though. Unfortunately, if that's a tear at the top of the fc, CGC's going to hammer it. My guess is an 8.0-8.5.

Yes, that tear came with the book. The 8.0 - 8.5 is what I would have guessed as well. Thanks for your opinion.

Anyway, my friend Busted Flush mocked my talking up this book for many years. Maybe in ten years when the kids are in college I will CGC and help defray expenses and I will have the last laugh, God knows my other savings may not be worth anything.

What is Overstreet on this these days and what do you guys think this would grade out at CGC, not that I am going to do that but just wondered.

OS 38 says

g 113

vg 226

fn 339

vf 904

vfnm 1577

nm- 2250

Jack

Color touch! Bondage cover too.

Great copy of a great book that I've never heard of. OS price is over the top but probably realistic given the scarcity and chances of finding one in nice condition. It looks like there was a partial reprint (68 out of 212 pages) in 1991. Anyone have one to compare?

Jack

As it happens, I think one of those reprints is on Australian ebay today.

I saw that too, very interesting, I wonder what they cut, it had to be a lot!

The main story was something like 52-56 pages, so I would imagine this book contained that plus some of the numerous Peter Pan themed puzzles in the original book. Just trying to think like an editor with a page budget and too much material on my hands!

Have any of you ever seen the Reluctant Dragon comic from the original four color series? It contains some great stills from the Disney studios including shots of the famous multi-plane camera that gave so much depth to those early Disney Animated features. It is hard to imagine today with the computer effects in our films but that development was truly revolutionary and gave Disney a huge technological edge over his competitors. Pull out your VHS or DVD copy of Pinocchio and just watch the opening sequence when the camera zooms in over town. Try to figure out how they could have done that with traditional two dimensional animation. Easy answer, it could not have been done!

Sorry, I don't mean to turn the duck forum into a Disney forum. So tell me to stop and we can get back to Ducks!

Have any of you ever seen the Reluctant Dragon comic from the original four color series? It contains some great stills from the Disney studios including shots of the famous multi-plane camera that gave so much depth to those early Disney Animated features. It is hard to imagine today with the computer effects in our films but that development was truly revolutionary and gave Disney a huge technological edge over his competitors. Pull out your VHS or DVD copy of Pinocchio and just watch the opening sequence when the camera zooms in over town. Try to figure out how they could have done that with traditional two dimensional animation. Easy answer, it could not have been done!

Don't forget the Fleischer Studio's 3-dimensional background process (patent filed in 1933).

It predates Disney's multi-plane camera.

Link

Don't forget the Fleischer Studio's 3-dimensional background process (patent filed in 1933).

It predates Disney's multi-plane camera.

I had never heard of this so thanks for posting and sharing.

Really interesting but quite different from the Disney process in that you need to combine drawings with a live set. Did they ever have more extensive overlays of the animated drawings on the set than this example which appears limited. The interior shots are basically pans through the house without animation.

I wonder if Ub Iwerks, the inventor of the multi-plane process was influenced by this.

Really interesting but quite different from the Disney process in that you need to combine drawings with a live set. Did they ever have more extensive overlays of the animated drawings on the set than this example which appears limited. The interior shots are basically pans through the house without animation.

The Fleischers used the process in dozens of cartoons.

Here is another example.

Check at approximately 1:41 - 2:21 for a look.