• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,448 posts in this topic

Given the recent posts in this thread, I feel almost embarrassed to post this. But not quite - this was an ebay pickup and I was delighted with the cost/quality deal I got. The book looks nicer in hand and has wonderful gloss.

Dell giants. :cloud9:

USGTD_1.jpg

Its especially nice if you can find one without all the mazes and crossword puzzles being done in crayon in them

Love the Dell Giants, try to collect that whole Disneyland series, they are a lot of fun. I bet they sold like hotcakes back when they came out. Summertime, time on your hands, not going to Disneyland, next best thing.......... read about it in your Disney Dell Giant!

Given the recent posts in this thread, I feel almost embarrassed to post this. But not quite - this was an ebay pickup and I was delighted with the cost/quality deal I got. The book looks nicer in hand and has wonderful gloss.

Dell giants. :cloud9:

USGTD_1.jpg

3996128897_770cb603d5_o.jpg

I told about the recent find of the 1955 Kite Fun book here:

Brer Rabbit Posting

But didn't post here as it wasn't a duck. I speculated it would have been nice to find an original find of the 1954 Kite Fun Book, whic is a duck, and now it has been found. I got these two in the mail today:

4019851177_f614e38515_o.jpg

A seller on ebay listed on last week. I wrote and told her what she had and told her to beware of low ball offers. Also told her the pictures didn't allow for accurate grading and it may limit her bids. She was thankful, and let me know if I didn't win to contact her, as she had more. Well, I was runner up. I contacted her and bought two copies. She apparently started with 20, and I wasn't the only one who contacted her. So there looks to be about 20 additional copies now out there. Page quality is low as they looked to not have been stored well. Quite different then the Brer Rabbits, where all 7 I sent in got 9.8 White.

More to this story soon.

Now that I finally had a SCE copy in hand, I busted open the blank indicia box file copy I bought from Heritage last year. Sure enough, now confirmed. THERE ARE 3 Varities.

Page 7

4020612546_2fea9c4692_o.jpg

Panel 7.2. Electric changed to Edison for SCE Copy:

4019851223_b228c353ea_o.jpg4019851469_4d35795516_o.jpg

Panel 7.3. SCE Logo added to truck for SCE Copy

4020612466_046f1a7b3d_o.jpg4020612622_5abf344a5a_o.jpg

The THREE Variants

1. Generic (Original?) Not utility specifc. Includes Blank Indicia Box, Label Copy, & FP&L

2. Southern California Edison Company

3. Pacific Gas and Electric Company.

Now I need to go package up the two new ones and the generic to send back to CGC with the free coupon they sent when my Kite Fun Book set won the registry award.

Edited by Kite_Fun_Books

Wow, great detective work! (worship)

Stuff like this is why I love the boards!

I can't take credit for figuring out the difference. It was done by Kim Weston for the FP&L version. I just figured the blank indicia box would probably be the same as the FP&L, as it was probably made to sell to other utilities intersted. Below is a letter from the McDrake website:

Member Different versions of Barks storiesPrivate email sent to "A Guidebook"-site, about versions of 'Donald Duck Tells About Kites:

- - - - - - - -

To: [dve]

Sent: Thursday, October 20, 2005 4:00 AM

Subject: FP&L kites giveaway by Barks

[...]

Differences between the SCE and the FP&L:

The text in the pink box on page one reads "PUBLISHED AS A PUBLIC SERVICE BY THE SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA EDISON COMPANY" in the SCE and "FLORIDA POWER & LIGHT CO." in the FP&L (in larger bolder print.) Otherwise pages 1-6 of the two versions are identical. The coloring of the SCE and FP&L seem to be the same, but the PG&E appears to have been a different coloring job, similar, but definitely not the same coloring job.

On page 8, the outline of the lower half of Donald's butt and the right side of his left leg are missing from the black plate (but the coloring is in place properly.) This is undoubtedly just a printing error.

On page 7, the FP&L is the same as the CBL. The SCE is slightly different in panel 3 and 4. In panel 3, in place of the word ELECTRIC is the word EDISON, and the spacing of the lettering suggests that EDISON is the original, and ELECTRIC was lettered into the same space after the fact. In panel 4 of the SCE, the truck door has what appears to be the word "Edison" (in -script) in a circle and a blur below it which might be "CO", possibly the company logo in 1954 when the comic was published; this is missing in the CBL and FP&L. That's it for the SCE and FP&L differences.

- - - - - - - -

(Moderation: Introduction removed. There, Kim Weston tells he did have all 3 versions in his possession simultaneously (and the CBL) to examine for differences. A request not to include the introduction has been overlooked by mistake. -- Daniel73.)

Got these in the mail the other day. :cloud9:

:grin: (thumbs u

Andrew

I hope you are going to crack open and read these. They are both really interesting books. Sherrif of Bullet Valley is just a great story, pure and simple. Classic Barks.

Ancient Persia is also very interesting. It was drawn during that period when Barks was getting tired of the funny animal vernacular and was drawing his antogonists with a more human flair. This reached its height in Dangerous Disguise which reads like an Ian Fleming novel. That is when Western noticed and told him to get back to drawing cartoonish fare.

Luckily his story telling did not diminish as great books like Christmas for Shacktown, Poor Old Man, The Golden Helmet and Back to the Klondike were still to come.

It was also the time that a number of the Duck Four Color books were drawn by others and I am sure this is all related. A Duck crisis for the good duck artist!! Glad he came back, shifting his long story focus to the sagas in Scrooge for some fresh inspiration.

Last three. So many books in the Nov. Sig. Auction gonna have a hard time. doh!

Andrew

Gotta ask - do you have a licence to print money? The rate you buy seriously nice comics is astounding.

Those are some great books! :golfclap:

Last three. So many books in the Nov. Sig. Auction gonna have a hard time. doh!

Andrew

Gotta ask - do you have a licence to print money? The rate you buy seriously nice comics is astounding.

Those are some great books! :golfclap:

lol lol

I definitely do not. :sorry:

If I did I’d have my X-Men and ASM runs complete.

My dad on the other hand. hm

When we sold his collection last year it freed up some capital. I’m trying to encourage him to make “investment” purchases. But he has a slight case of OCD when it comes to these things, so what can I say. That’s why we ended up w/ so many duplicates. I still need to flip those so we can get the books we really “need”. :frustrated:

Any one got any thoughts on the PLOD one. I was thinking of maybe having the color touch removed, how do you think it would affect the grade?

Andrew

Any one got any thoughts on the PLOD one. I was thinking of maybe having the color touch removed, how do you think it would affect the grade?

Andrew

Just pretend we're a bit slow here in Australia (it's a stretch, I know) - which PLOD one?

There's a couple of nice PLOD books in the Heritage Nov auction - the FC 29 is especially nice... but not color touched.