• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,449 posts in this topic

I introduced two of my nephews to Duck books this past Christmas and made converts of both of them.

(thumbs u My four-year son is a big fan of Duck books. I get him some for every Christmas and birthday. The best part is that I get to read them to him.

My three latest acquisitions. Takes me up to 11 of the 30 Donald Duck FC's. I must say that Overstreet is way off for the pricing of the 2 non-Barks. I bought 339 at 1.5x guide and the 379 sold for 2.4x guide (I was the underbidder). While the Barks books you can generally get below guide I think the scarcity of the two non-Barks (neither cover or interior) makes them go for so much more than guide. They are still cheaper than the Barks issues, but not by that much.

109366.jpg.86b993fb4be93a18511db4031bd4e22e.jpg

109367.jpg.4223c977801040cfc669ba213aec5898.jpg

109368.jpg.7526d1e5d3dc976047c8e74e85d02f86.jpg

The topic of the source of Barks' Egyptian landscapes from FC29 came up in the 'Ask Gator' thread. As most of you duck fans would know, they were cribbed from National Geographic. Here's some examples I scanned in from the first volume of the Another Rainbow Barks Library:

pyramid.jpg

pillar.jpg

tomb.jpg

sphinx.jpg

Do you have your first hundred project scans anywhere. I know you have some posted in the thread but to see all 30 you have so far would be something

Will do - I'm waiting for the 29th and 30th to finish their journey across the Pacific. When they turn up I'll do a group snap.

BTW - anyone eyeing the 'high grade PGX' WDC&S books on ebay right now should read this thread. It's times like these that these boards are worth their weight in gold.

First one is not a Duck, but I think this group can appreciate it, anyway. Rarer than Donald Duck. My new TOP POP copy came from Metropolis. Heritage was selling a bunch of giveaways from the Bob Overstreet collection. I did buy one lot a couple years ago which was all Kite Fun Books. Second lot I bought was 6 kite fun books and 32 others. That lot was about $550, but managed to sell off the rest on ebay the week after receipt and pay for the lot. Pinocchio was listed in a lot along with about 99 other giveaways, including many common types. I bid high, but was blown away when the lot went over $2000. Fast forward to a couple of months ago, and this copy attributed to Bob Overstreets' collection showed up in Metroplis' inventory. It is the finer of two graded PG&E copies. Also one FP&L copy is graded. I have all three. Sent in to CGC with my award certificate so I got free grading.

pinocchio.jpg

Second here is the Duck. The SCE edition is listed in Gerber as about 25 copies known, I understand. Oversteet list it higher than PG&E. However, I think it is the most common variety and should be cheaper. A group of 22-26 copies was found last year, most high grade. (5) copies have been graded recently in 9.2-9.4. All have poor paper quality. This one is Cream to Off-White.

donald.jpg

Might as well complete the run of Disney Kite Fun Books. Brer Rabbit from a 25-30 copy find in 2009. I bought most of this find, still have another dozen ungraded copies similar to this:

brer.jpg

Edited by Kite_Fun_Books

KFB: in this hobby, it is so rare to see someone share this kind of information so unselfishly. You own these books and you paid to get them CGC graded, yet you are honest enough to tell all of us very important information that only can affect the value downwards. Your enthusiasm for these giveaways is amazingly genuine and it is always enjoyable to read your posts. I think I have commented on it before, but it is a breath of fresh air to encounter someone who is an expert in a completely different area.

Congratulations on the Pinocchio. I have always considered this a curiosity because, for whatever reason, it almost never comes up for sale. Around 10 years ago, Disney Auctions offered a copy on eBay. At the time, 2 of my friends, who both owned near complete runs of every Disney comic ever published, got very excited because neither of them had ever seen it despite having built their collections since the 1970s. Even in the eBay and internet era, I have only seen 2 copies in the past 10 years (including the one mentioned earlier). By that metric, it could well be one of the rarest Disney books in existence, considerably rarer than the WDCS 4 Complimentary variant. There are a few of the later issues in the 1st Mickey Mouse Magazine series (1933) that I have only seen once or twice in very low grade. The only Disney comic known to exist that I have never seen for sale is the Florida copy of "Donald Duck Tells About Kites" which I suspect never was circulated.

Those are some spectacular kite books. Thanks for sharing.

(Do you have any idea if any of the other Donald Duck Tells about Kites in the find last year are for sale?)

Here is my latest Donald Duck Four Color acquisition which I won today.

109720.jpg.09f87f2c7bf5571ac36449669b27bd46.jpg

Those are some spectacular kite books. Thanks for sharing.

(Do you have any idea if any of the other Donald Duck Tells about Kites in the find last year are for sale?)

The one the lady had listed on ebay went for about $825. Just a picture.

It started at 0.99 and I sent her an email telling her what she had and the

price guide values. Her listing said she had others, which I thought meant

other Kite Fun Books. She let me know if I didn't win, she had more.

After the auction I bought two from her for $1600. When they arrived, there

was actually four in the stack. I returned the extra two (lower condition), but she

ended up giving me one that had a piece missing. She mentioned 20 she sold, but

I am unsure if the 20 were just the rest of the extras or total, so total may be as high as 25 in find. That is consistant with other years Kite Fun Books finds, such as brer rabbit, and the approximate number of students in an elementry class. My thoughts are a teacher didn't get around to giving them out to the kids in her class, and the batch is later found in her stuff.

My 3 copies, I sold the faulty copy right away on ebay. Sent one copy to CGC and got a 9.2. That one I sold on ebay to pay for Kids school tuition about a year ago. Sent the other copy to CGC and got another 9.2. That copy is the one pictured. Both were Cream to Off White.

Shortly after the purchase, someone in Canada listed a similar damaged one. Since then they have listed a newly certified 9.4 on ebay about a year ago, followed by another which showed up in comic connect auction but the serial number was only off by last digit. Certifed at same time. Recently another copy was certified and I believe that 3rd 9.4 was on ebay last week with starting $4400. I think the Comic Connect copy had a buy it now of $3400 a few months ago.

So, from my thinking the buyer of the batch is selling them off slowly to not dilute the price, and may have 16 more copies.

All of these copies have had cream to off-white pages. It may not make as big a difference to have lower page copy when you have a glossy cover, but to me with these without glossy cover it really distracts, especially when the are set next to copies with better page quality. CGC doesn't seem to lower the numerical grade for the page quality. I thought they would.

Tracking the copies is easy since the early copies in Heritage Archives have SCE as the publisher on the CGC labels, while the recently certified copies have Western.

I can resist anything but temptation. I picked these up from MYNAMEISLEGION on the for sale forum.

FC 189 is the second appearance of Uncle Scrooge (I think - is that right?)

I've never read Malayalaya - I'm going in with low expectations, but sometimes the non-Barks stories are good. I really like the 'Fabulous Fiddlesticks' story, but not so much ones like 'The Crocodile Collector'.

fc189.jpg

fc394.jpg

Now I have to find nice copies of FC199 and 238.

I can resist anything but temptation. I picked these up from MYNAMEISLEGION on the for sale forum.

(thumbs u Glad those ducks cleared customs! Wouldn't want them to run aFOUL of some ministry of healthy poultry quarantine or nuthin! lol

This one got lost at the local post office for a month. :eek:

There were a couple of really nice WDC&S in the sales forum recently. Unfortunately I'd blown my entire March and some of April's budget on some nice EC sci-fi comics two days earlier. Oh well, they went to a good home. ( :hi: 40y)

This is another blue book that looks better in hand. I wonder why my scanner does that? You'll have to take my word on this one - a solid 6.0 in hand. Nice PQ to boot.

wdcs_068.jpg

I'll post some group shots soon. I have to take some pics for insurance purposes anyway, so I'll inflict them on you guys too.

I've never read Malayalaya - I'm going in with low expectations, but sometimes the non-Barks stories are good. I really like the 'Fabulous Fiddlesticks' story, but not so much ones like 'The Crocodile Collector'.

fc189.jpg

fc394.jpg

First appearance of Uncle Scrooge in WDCS was issue 98 which is after pubublication of FC 189. So I guess it must be the second appearance. Irregardless, it is a fine story which I enjoyed a lot. Since it was reprinted in the sixties, I kept my reprint copy in my collection and didn't look for an original copy until recently. The Blazing issue that I purchased has a FC 189 interior. Now I only need 9, 29 and 62.

Edited by BB-Gun

[...]

[...]

fc189.jpg

To me, FC 189 is one of the most impressive comics of the Golden Age. Every time I browse through its 36 pages, I am in awe of the art and the atmosphere that Barks created in the castle. Of course it is nowhere near Hal Foster's standard compared panel by panel, but I'd be hard pressed to think of another 30+ page story with so much complex architecture, such clever use of lighting and perspective, and so many fun little details that you don't notice as you read the story but which subconsciously add to the experience. This book is a pièce de résistance of overachieving from an immensely talented artist who was paid a nominal fee to fill his page quota every month. I sometimes wonder what motivated Barks to create masterpieces like this out of nothing. His work was already so superior compared to stories like "Malalaya" and he had no one around him to create the pressure cooker effect that inspire so many super talented individuals. Whatever it was, we are fortunate that it was there.

fc189.jpg

fc394.jpg

I must confess, there was a 199 from that same original owner collection as those two. I became attached to it -- probably my favorite DD cover, and ended up keeping it for myself. :)

dd199slab.jpg

[...]

[...]

fc189.jpg

To me, FC 189 is one of the most impressive comics of the Golden Age. Every time I browse through its 36 pages, I am in awe of the art and the atmosphere that Barks created in the castle. Of course it is nowhere near Hal Foster's standard compared panel by panel, but I'd be hard pressed to think of another 30+ page story with so much complex architecture, such clever use of lighting and perspective, and so many fun little details that you don't notice as you read the story but which subconsciously add to the experience. This book is a pièce de résistance of overachieving from an immensely talented artist who was paid a nominal fee to fill his page quota every month. I sometimes wonder what motivated Barks to create masterpieces like this out of nothing. His work was already so superior compared to stories like "Malalaya" and he had no one around him to create the pressure cooker effect that inspire so many super talented individuals. Whatever it was, we are fortunate that it was there.

Hear hear!!

I must confess, there was a 199 from that same original owner collection as those two. I became attached to it -- probably my favorite DD cover, and ended up keeping it for myself. :)

dd199slab.jpg

[alec guiness voice] That's not the book you want to keep. [/alec guiness voice]

What a beauty! :headbang: