• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,453 posts in this topic

lf20fc.jpg

That actually looks very nice indeed. Even with the coloring inside I know how difficult it is to find an unrestored copy in this shape. These books must have had very low distribution indeed. A friend of mine owns a gorgeous file copy that he bought privately many years ago, but that's the only one better than FN I've seen.

Very nice Andrew.

hm Seems a really nice book for a 7.5 - back cover troubles?

Now, what made you "want" this one?

Thanks Peter (and others). I assume there's a small flaw of some kind on the back. I have a file copy #77 that looks similar at the front but has a 1.5 cm edge tear on the back and graded out at 6.5. Works for me!

This is one of my favourite covers in the run. I'd like to have the Aussie reprint of it as well, but since that's on WDC&S #1, it would cost me twenty times as much - if I could find one!

NIce Andrew, I love that cover and have a copy of that one. I was looking at some of the other Heritage books but between the BP and CA tax, those books start to get too expensive.

Hoping that I find something in San Diego this week. A nice Dell would make my day. Dell comics are good comics!

Just picked up this very nice 7.5 W file copy on the Heritage weekly.

Beak abuse. :cloud9:

wdcs_69.jpg

That's a beautiful copy, congratulations. There's just something iconic about that image. It is really clever how the large, open eye is framed by the two parallel diagonal lines formed by the arm and the gun as well as the horizontal lines at the beak and where the gradient background turns into solid red. Your eye is immediately drawn to the bee and the stare-down by the flow of the composition. All of this surely didn't come together by accident.

I seem to remember a Donald Duck cartoon where Donald is getting harassed by a honey bee. I wonder if there is any relation between the two

wdcs_69.jpg

That's a beautiful copy, congratulations. There's just something iconic about that image. It is really clever how the large, open eye is framed by the two parallel diagonal lines formed by the arm and the gun as well as the horizontal lines at the beak and where the gradient background turns into solid red. Your eye is immediately drawn to the bee and the stare-down by the flow of the composition. All of this surely didn't come together by accident.

Very clever design, indeed. The observer's eye moves in an endless loop, paralleling the standoff occurring between Donald and the bee.

right, and doesn't your mind ask itself what is going to happen next? I keep seeing donald with his beak blown off lol

(even though the cork in the gun signifies its a toy... that's just a censorship consideration IMO)

wdcs_69.jpg

The Genius of Walt Kelly!!

Just for fun, here's what the first issue of WDC&S in Australia looked like:

Aus_WDCS_no1.jpg

This is the biggest image I can find. A VF copy would probably cost $2,000 - so I don't own one!

Just for fun, here's what the first issue of WDC&S in Australia looked like:

Aus_WDCS_no1.jpg

just for fun, how about a pic of a sailor reading that american issue? :grin:

alameda naval air station california 1946

NASalameda40s.jpg

This is probably old news to you all, but I just got this book in the mail yesterday:

WDCSarchives.jpg

It reprints WDC&S 1 and 2 in their entirety, and has some essay material that explains how MMM morphed into WDC&S (tb will like this - it explains a gradual process) and some other bits and pieces. I had a ball reading it last night.

I've also ordered this:

4Carchives.jpg

Which I assume reprints Four Color #4.

I got both for $26, which is fabulous value.

A couple of pickups from San Diego. I always try to find a duck book to fill in the collection. This year issue #106 popped up. Oddly, late last year I found a copy of 105 at a local dealer. Both contain Phantom Blot serial chapters.

Also, picked up the Lulu shown as a package deal. Please bear with Little Lulu here in the duck thread! Went to the Lulu fan meeting which is always a hoot as my kids get to act out a Lulu story. Would be a great idea for a duck fan meeting!!

114182.jpg.b7bb021b6a38c56beb9bcd026a38e578.jpg

114183.jpg.09467ba50c0243fa146d0b2d22439612.jpg