• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,453 posts in this topic

Nice pages, but too late for my taste. I've avoided the mid-60's because the bulk of surviving artwork is from pages that Barks was handed back when he retired. The "North of the Yukon" story from Uncle Scrooge 59 was among those stories. I am way too patient for that to be any fun - the 1940s and '50s are more my cup of tea.

I didn't know exactly where to post this but this thead seems to have captured more than just ducks lately so it seemed a good place. Last night the family went to the Hollywood Bowl where they were showing Fantasia accompanied by the Hollywood Bowl Orchestra. It was a bit of a misnomer although a happy one as it wasn't actually the original film. Instead they took a number of scenes from the original film, some unfinished sequences, the Salvador Dali collaboration called Destino (only the second time shown) and a sequence from Fantasia 2000.

The original sequences were all flawless digitally restored pieces and I have never seen them presented with such brilliant color. In fact the restoration gave the film a freshness and richness I simply never noticed before in the tired prints I first viewed in the theater and subsequent VCR / DVD editions. Simply amazing.

Of particular note were some of the water sequences which were amazing in their accomplished draughtmanship. The care and attention to detail lavished on this film was outstanding. I don't think the Disney company made their investment back until the releases in the sixties but this property is still awe inspiring.

As I drove home I tried to think of what comic this was presented in and I I remembered that I had luckily picked up a copy of Reluctant Dragon at a flea market as a young boy for ten or twnety five cents. It was quite memorable for it was my oldest comic for many many years. It features a text story of the Socerer's Apprentice, At some point there was a comic version of the story that I read in Walt Disney's Comic Digest but I don't know where that was first published.

Below is a book you won't find at shows very often but a fun book if you can find a nice copy.

114797.jpg.64903ee3cb23fc3c2a560f390a98640c.jpg

The restored Fantasia sounds wonderful. Reading your post, I was thinking back at when I saw a digital preview of "Finding Nemo" in Pixar's screening room and thought the first 10 minutes were by far the most beautiful sequence I'd ever seen. Then I went to a regular cinema and was so disappointed when everything looked completely washed out. I can't wait to see the new version! Fantasia was a huge influence for me in my decision to go into 3d graphics. I first saw it around 1990 when it was released on VHS back home for the first time. The first research paper I got published was based on an idea I got while watching the dancing mushroom sequence. That work later opened the door to some of the best universities in the US so Fantasia has a special place in my heart.

I have to take some of the blame for posting non-Duck scans in this thread, but it was selegue who started it with a woodpecker. Here is a better scan of one of my favorite Duck covers. I've started adding my CGC graded Mickey Mouse Magazines to the CGC registry ("What the Church run might have looked like?").

MM_25_1400.jpg

I have to take some of the blame for posting non-Duck scans in this thread, but it was selegue who started it with a woodpecker.

To get us back on the duck track I will post one of the following depending on poplular request.

My copy of WDC&S #13 or scans of the missing pages from DD#26 (Trick or Treat)!

The first research paper I got published was based on an idea I got while watching the dancing mushroom sequence.

What a great story! Inspiration can come from most anywhere. The idea for the TV came to Farnsworth while he was plowing the fields as a kid.

To get us back on the duck track I will post one of the following depending on poplular request.

My copy of WDC&S #13 or scans of the missing pages from DD#26 (Trick or Treat)!

I vote for the missing pages; I thought they were fascinating when I first started learning about American Disney comics and would have posted scans long ago if I had them. Besides, you see cigar-smoking ducklings all the time.

So I went to grab my edited Barks pages last night and was very surprised at what I found. First, I thought I had had missing pages to Trick or Treat and I may or may not have them but the first thing I found was a WDC&S story that I believe was never published. After that I started poking around and realized that I had stashed four pages of unpublished "Back to the Klondike" story pages into my copy of that book. A similar search in "Trick or Treat" didn't bring anything to light. So I don't know at this point if I ever had copies of missing pages to "Trick or Treat," or not. But somehow I think I did.

Anyhow, to get things rolling here are the Scrooge pages, these are the best ones anyway if you have not seen them.

114831.jpg.c5e045ec82bdbce8aadc50e600a804ad.jpg

114832.jpg.a78e4ae9996dc2b7f58b4066ce225183.jpg

114833.jpg.0a0bdbc21a4ea85fb064551351e891eb.jpg

114834.jpg.19723e240b6f290702a592ffd28888cc.jpg

Thanks! That first one also holds the record for the highest price ever paid for an interior comic book page from the Gold or Silver Age (excluding any private sales that I have not heard about).

---

I've bought most of my Mickey Mouse Magazines raw. Whenever I upgraded, I've tried to sell the extra copy so someone else could enjoy it. The exception has been when two books were almost equally nice, in that case I've usually kept both. That's how my collection inadvertently ended up with situations like this. No warehouse finds: these all came from different sources over the years. The 9.2 is my favorite.

v45group.jpg

Edited by tb

Well after seeing that lovely Valentine montage featuring Pluto, it's time to get back to some rejected Barks' drawings. I don't know the story behind this but it was in the package I purchased with the reproductions of unpublished rejected Barks. Reading the story you can see why this little Christimas tale would have been a bit much for the good editorial minds at Western. This story alone proves that Mr. Barks indeed had a pretty wicked sense of humor and a rather quirky view of the human condition.

114846.jpg.40989aa122a4c29875323845fcc7e3db.jpg

114847.jpg.0f880dc8e2141161e295dfc3b32c90b8.jpg

114848.jpg.0b1bdf928dc0b39917137e3fc45adcd5.jpg

114849.jpg.c27007227dce438351fb809fd2976551.jpg

114850.jpg.cc03c752239517bbdc4d22e456ca1b8c.jpg

Now the last four pages............

Thanks 40Y, I enjoyed seeing that again - that story has a very 'solid' feel to it and is far better than many of the watered down ten pagers that Barks ended up drawing in the 1960s. It's been reprinted a few times and you can see the list here. I have it in the Barks Library edition.

I don't know the story behind this but it was in the package I purchased with the reproductions of unpublished rejected Barks. Reading the story you can see why this little Christimas tale would have been a bit much for the good editorial minds at Western. This story alone proves that Mr. Barks indeed had a pretty wicked sense of humor and a rather quirky view of the human condition.

Here's the original art to the 3rd page from the story. You can barely make out how Barks attempted to correct the lyrics which his editors apparently thought were sacrilegious. There are 10 1/2 original pages from the 1940s known to exist (+ a rejected cover) and 9 1/2 of those come from this story. I bought this page the same day it was listed for sale in 2002. To my knowledge, it is the only one that has been on the market since the 1990s.

sn3_900.jpg

Here is the same page along with the original art to the first 1 1/2 page (the artwork for the first 1/2 page is presumed lost). The photo is from a Barks exhibition in Austria.

SN123.jpg

Absolutely fantastic to see the beauty of the b&w art! :cloud9:

Does anyone know the history of how these pieces came to become photocopied back in the early sevnties? It looks like Barks gave them or sold them to someone.

It is astounding that so little original art survived. Did the Western files get destroyed? What a travesty to think they shredded a goldmine. Some of those pages had to have walked out of whereveer they were kept.

TB, once again you astound me with the depth of your collection. If I had the means in the seventies I would have picked up a Barks original. The wallet didn't have the oomph at that time in my life which is too bad as the prices were a bargain.

Fortunately, all the original art that Barks had left by around 1960 would have been accessible to Malcolm Willits. He and Leonard Brown had all of the pages from the unpublished "Silent Night" story at Collector's Book Store. I've been told that they were sitting at the store for years but no one would touch them at the ~$200 price tag. Eventually, some ended up in the hands of early Barks fans like Donald Ault (page 2) and Thomas Andrae ("my" page). Having met Mr. Willits, I have little doubt that he arranged to make high quality photostats of the unpublished art before it was distributed among collectors. There were some originals that Barks had given away before he met Willits, including those from Uncle Scrooge 8 and 13 that I posted earlier. I imagine these would have been unknown until Bill Spicer (one of the recipients) met other fans in the late 1960s or early 70s. If other board members have more details, I'd love to hear them.

Below is another book that is not that easy to find in high grade. I bought the 8.5 from Metropolis around 1999 (graded VF+) and the 9.0 from Moondog around 2001 (also accurately graded). Heritage had a 9.4 for sale last year, but I passed after inspecting it (the front cover was a little too dirty for the price, I thought).

v54_pair.jpg