• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,453 posts in this topic

Back in May, I posted the surprising statistics below related to the census population of 1930s books in unrestored CGC 9.4 up. This elusive club finally reached 100 members last month. I found the rate of change interesting:

New additions:

2011: 13

2010: 11

2009: 2

2008: 4

2007: 2

2006: 1

2005: 9

If you ignore Mickey Mouse Magazine Series 1-3, the list looks like this:

2011: 6

2010: 0

2009: 1

2007: 1

* 2011 has seen the highest number of new additions, both with and without Mickey Mouse Magazines, since 2005.

* There are now 17 Series 3 Mickey Mouse Magazines (this number is likely to grow before the end of the year).

* The most remarkable observation to me is how big a difference the submission of even a small group of raw Church books can make. Most (if not all?) of the 6 2011 additions are King Comics. Several of these are even from 1937 where the census has very few books in 9.4 up: the majority of the 100 books are from 1938 and 1939.

There is one more note I wanted to make about the quality of the Mickey Mouse Magazine file copies from the Disney archives. Whether you care about Disney comics or not, I don't think collectors realize just what a treasure the top 2-3 runs of file copies are in terms of pure high grade survival rates. I've suspected this since buying an incredible run of these in 2003, but it is only now that the exceptional quality is starting to become apparent thanks to the CGC census. For comparison, here are the numbers for the total population of CGC graded comics in 9.4 or above from the 1930s as of April 2011 (courtesy of valiantman's site):

CGC 9.8s: 4

CGC 9.6s: 28

CGC 9.4s: 62

Of these, here is the current population of Mickey Mouse Magazines (3rd series up to December 1939):

CGC 9.8s: 0

CGC 9.6s: 2

CGC 9.4s: 12

In other words, although it only has been possible to certify MMMs since around 2008, they already represent 15% of the entire population of CGC graded comics in 9.4+ from the 1930s. And this percentage is very likely to climb over the next 12 months.

It is not because MMMs are common: the print run for every issue prior to 1940 must have been substantially lower than that of Action Comics 1 (based on available data). The census anomaly is entirely due to a select few runs of file copies that stand out among the considerable number of file copies that exist.

Just got this one and its a Barks too !! Secret of the Hondorica :luhv:

drat that lower right corner..... :mad:

DDuck46.jpg

5603039843_3180101e19_z.jpg

I have found that particular issue hard to resist. I also like Donald Duck 54 but unfortunately I have only found one copy.

5603039843_3180101e19_z.jpg

I have found that particular issue hard to resist. I also like Donald Duck 54 but unfortunately I have only found one copy.

Nice group BB :applause: I've never read a 54 before, and am looking forward to landing one of those someday

Heres the beginings of my Duck collection.

IMG_7683.jpg

5603039843_318011e19_z.jpg

Nice group BB :applause: I've never read a 54 before, and am looking forward to landing one of those someday

Heres the beginings of my Duck collection.

IMG_763.jpg

DD54 is a great book. Wonderful story. Go out and get one!

I do appreciate these statistics and the related analysis. (thumbs u

This shows that 75% of the increase in 9.4+'s is from the Mickey Mouse Mags rather than standard newsstand comics. That's significant.

Back in May, I posted the surprising statistics below related to the census population of 1930s books in unrestored CGC 9.4 up. This elusive club finally reached 100 members last month. I found the rate of change interesting:

New additions:

2011: 13

2010: 11

2009: 2

2007: 2

If you ignore Mickey Mouse Magazine Series 1-3, the list looks like this:

2011: 6

2010: 0

2009: 1

2007: 1

* 2011 has seen the highest number of new additions, both with and without Mickey Mouse Magazines, since 2005.

* There are now 17 Series 3 Mickey Mouse Magazines (this number is likely to grow before the end of the year).

* The most remarkable observation to me is how big a difference the submission of even a small group of raw Church books can make. Most (if not all?) of the 6 2011 additions are King Comics. Several of these are even from 1937 where the census has very few books in 9.4 up: the majority of the 100 books are from 1938 and 1939.

There is one more note I wanted to make about the quality of the Mickey Mouse Magazine file copies from the Disney archives. Whether you care about Disney comics or not, I don't think collectors realize just what a treasure the top 2-3 runs of file copies are in terms of pure high grade survival rates. I've suspected this since buying an incredible run of these in 2003, but it is only now that the exceptional quality is starting to become apparent thanks to the CGC census. For comparison, here are the numbers for the total population of CGC graded comics in 9.4 or above from the 1930s as of April 2011 (courtesy of valiantman's site):

CGC 9.8s: 4

CGC 9.6s: 28

CGC 9.4s: 62

Of these, here is the current population of Mickey Mouse Magazines (3rd series up to December 1939):

CGC 9.8s: 0

CGC 9.6s: 2

CGC 9.4s: 12

In other words, although it only has been possible to certify MMMs since around 2008, they already represent 15% of the entire population of CGC graded comics in 9.4+ from the 1930s. And this percentage is very likely to climb over the next 12 months.

It is not because MMMs are common: the print run for every issue prior to 1940 must have been substantially lower than that of Action Comics 1 (based on available data). The census anomaly is entirely due to a select few runs of file copies that stand out among the considerable number of file copies that exist.

WheatiesSetB-6.jpg

WheatiesSetB-3.jpg

WheatiesSetB-8.jpg

Nice! I've just started thinking about collecting the Australian versions of these giveaways. At the moment I'm not even sure how many there are. The documentation of Australian comics is nowhere near as good as American ones.

Am I right in saying there were 32 of these; 1-8 of A, B, C and D series? I think the local versions were numbered sequentially, so I'm guessing 1 - 32.

I know about the Mobil Giveaways , from the 60's, but is there another set tied to breakfast cereal here?

Yes, they were given away in Weeties (Australian version of the tradename) in the early 60s.

I confess I haven't heard of it and Google isn't coming up with anything either.

Try 'Australian Weeties Comics'. Here's one. It seems I might have been wrong about the numbering...

I know about the Mobil Giveaways , from the 60's, but is there another set tied to breakfast cereal here?

Yes, they were given away in Weeties (Australian version of the tradename) in the early 60s.

I confess I haven't heard of it and Google isn't coming up with anything either.

Try 'Australian Weeties Comics'. Here's one. It seems I might have been wrong about the numbering...

Thanks. A little poking around in eBay found this and a sort of related this.

How they wound up in Brooklyn will forever remain a mystery.

WheatiesSetB-6.jpg

[...]

Beautiful books, thanks for posting them.

Every time I see these, I can't help but think of the genius from Eugene, Oregon who made a side income out of trimming high grade copies and selling them in PGX holders (which he presumably graded himself). It's the only time I've ever decided to categorically shun any copy of a title because the risk of undisclosed restoration was too high. Sadly, I will probably never own a high grade copy of "Donald Duck's Atom Bomb" because of him. The only copy I would ever consider would have to come from an original owner collection as far from Oregon as possible.

How so like a lazy basturd to name drop in a bad light everyone around a problem, town, and state than the exact person responsible for your feelings. Why don't you go dump on New York or Florida for awhile. I heard there was a bad person in each of those places :popcorn:

How so like a lazy basturd to name drop in a bad light everyone around a problem, town, and state than the exact person responsible for your feelings. Why don't you go dump on New York or Florida for awhile. I heard there was a bad person in each of those places :popcorn:
You might be overreacting just a wee bit.

WheatiesSetB-6.jpg

WheatiesSetB-3.jpg

WheatiesSetB-8.jpg

Nice! I've just started thinking about collecting the Australian versions of these giveaways. At the moment I'm not even sure how many there are. The documentation of Australian comics is nowhere near as good as American ones.

Am I right in saying there were 32 of these; 1-8 of A, B, C and D series? I think the local versions were numbered sequentially, so I'm guessing 1 - 32.

2203199509_9b0e5eea5a_z.jpg

I have a few Wheaties giveaways.

You might be overreacting just a wee bit.

Yea, maybe. But I'm starting to get tired of all the bashers to this beautiful place and people that I call home. This is not the first time..... its a constant. The good ol boys crowd spew forth their BS all the time and its time somebody told em to STFU. Most recently theres some national newpaper story running saying that Springfield has the most "strip clubs per capita" in the whole country..... like we are just a bunch of perv horn dogs over here. Its factually incorrect, and amounts to nothing more than an out and out lie and slander by the invisible powers that want to vomit their filth on us.

Nothing really against our particular friend above.... He was just the straw that broke the Oregonians back :sumo: