• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,453 posts in this topic

A funny thing happened on the way out of Long Beach Comic Con yesterday:

I picked up a long elusive missing Barks' Four Color, "Ghost of the Grotto." I don't know why this one has eluded me so long but it has. I have seen many copies over the years but none ever struck me just right. This one did, thanks to Fred A. Lessing for taking care of it. Only two left to go, 9 and 29.

FC159.jpg

I was going to post my latest MMM here, but seeing your newest book has caused me to stop, and pay full attention to its magnificence !! :applause:

Very nice ...

Congratulations, that's a beautiful copy. And it sounds like you're having a great time at these conventions. I started collecting the Four Colors myself 5-10 years ago, but I gave up around the time #386 started selling for way more than I was comfortable with. Lately, the more reasonable prices have made me interested again and I've added a few nice Four Colors to my own collection. They are a lot of fun to collect.

I picked up a long elusive missing Barks' Four Color, "Ghost of the Grotto." I don't know why this one has eluded me so long but it has. I have seen many copies over the years but none ever struck me just right. This one did, thanks to Fred A. Lessing for taking care of it. Only two left to go, 9 and 29.

That's a nice book, Frank, really nice! I was at the convention with my wife and we stopped at Terry's booth. His prices are always too high for me so I didn't bother to take a look at his inventory. Congrats on your purchase!

SLR

Thanks Steve, sorry I missed you!

Congratulations, that's a beautiful copy. And it sounds like you're having a great time at these conventions. I started collecting the Four Colors myself 5-10 years ago, but I gave up around the time #386 started selling for way more than I was comfortable with. Lately, the more reasonable prices have made me interested again and I've added a few nice Four Colors to my own collection. They are a lot of fun to collect.

Prices on these do appear to be coming down. Escpecially in the just below high grade category where I like to buy my copies that I can actually handle.

Edited by 40YrsCollctngCmcs

FC159.jpg

I was going to post my latest MMM here, but seeing your newest book has caused me to stop, and pay full attention to its magnificence !! :applause:

Very nice ...

Post away, more the merrier!

Beautiful copy there. I read the reprint a long time ago and finally picked up an original last year.

I am still missing 9, 29 and 62. I have come close to buying Frozen Gold a couple of time but usually out bid by pennies. FC 9 and 29 seem to maintain their high price and I may just have to be content with the many reprints of those stories. I read 29 back in the sixties and enjoyed it a lot but never thought I needed to pick up an original until I had almost finished the run.

BB

FC159.jpg

Very nice ...

Post away, more the merrier!

I know..... its not a Duck...... but only a close relation.... :sorry:

MickeyMouseMagFerdinad_0001.jpg

MMMferdback.jpg

I love those MMM covers with characters from the shorts.

Ferdinand the Bull is to Sweden what David Hasselhoff is to Germany. A few years ago, the short was replaced with another in the traditional Christmas Day Disney tv show and, from what I've heard, it almost resulted in a revolution.

---

Here's an article I found in the New York Times archives while looking up the history of Ferdinand the Bull. These exhibitions must have been pretty spectacular.

116983.jpg.e9e02fe48061c29d92ea2a144e3d748f.jpg

Edited by tb

We named a conference room (actually my support person did) after Ferdinand! She apparently had a thing for the flower sniffing bull.

Fun copy Senormac, my favorite parts of these MMM books are the covers. The variety is amazing and it was certainly a more democratic era for characters at the Disney Studios. Won't be long before Donald take over cover duties.

Anyone ever do census on cover appearances on WDC&S? Besides the obvious winner (Donald) it would be curious to see who was second. In the early sixties after Dell stopped publishing and Western took over under the Gold Key imprint they experimented with a feature like cover that showed all the stories inside. Pretty interesting idea but made for some pretty boring covers!

Great copy, Frank! And you know that Four Color 9 is available almost any day you wish to spend the money. However, 29 has always been tough to find in high grade but your day will come. Still, in all the years that Leonard Brown collected comics, the only duck he never found in the condition that he wanted for his collection was 29.

Great copy, Frank! And you know that Four Color 9 is available almost any day you wish to spend the money. However, 29 has always been tough to find in high grade but your day will come. Still, in all the years that Leonard Brown collected comics, the only duck he never found in the condition that he wanted for his collection was 29.

This is sadly true. I acquired a nice FC9 over the summer (yes I know, I should have posted a picture here...) and I'm starting to realize that FC29 is much harder to find in the grade I want. I'm not giving up yet.

I love those MMM covers with characters from the shorts.

Ferdinand the Bull is to Sweden what David Hasselhoff is to Germany. A few years ago, the short was replaced with another in the traditional Christmas Day Disney tv show and, from what I've heard, it almost resulted in a revolution.

Here's an article I found in the New York Times archives while looking up the history of Ferdinand the Bull. These exhibitions must have been pretty spectacular.

We named a conference room (actually my support person did) after Ferdinand! She apparently had a thing for the flower sniffing bull.

Fun copy Senormac, my favorite parts of these MMM books are the covers. The variety is amazing and it was certainly a more democratic era for characters at the Disney Studios. Won't be long before Donald take over cover duties.

And in the same year that Superman was born, Ferdinand won the 1938 academy award for best short :popcorn:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Story_of_Ferdinand

Thank goodness I am not grade sensitive. I never realized how tough the 29 in higher grade is. I am just happy to have found both books off the boards over the years.

Are you saying that you "troll" for books ? :grin:

My guess is that Huey Dewey and Louie would be tied for second third and fourth to Donald Duck.

No doubt but could you discern which nephew was in which place!

I don't think any of them ever appeared without the other two (GA and SA anyway)

Thanks for the info, tb! Thanks for all the nice comments everyone! Here's my favorite non-duck book from the haul because of the colors and overall beauty:

WDCS008.JPG

WDCSB008.JPG

Wow! A Clarabelle Cow cover! Cool!

(thumbs u

Interesting is that Clarabelle was initially portrayed naked with swaying udders in the cartoons:

Clarabelle.jpg

They soon covered her up though. I suppose young kids exposed to swaying udders might grow up to be, oh, stockbrokers, bankers, bakers, engineers, doctors, lawyers, plumbers, congressmen, whatever....

doh!

Edited by Hepcat