• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,453 posts in this topic

I have, or my spreadsheet "says" I have # 8, but I cannot seem to locate it. doh!

I hate it when my spreadsheeet seems to lie but it's typically my short boxes who ate the comics.

Sweet Scrooges Hepcat. I agree the yellow on that # 9 really pops.

Oddly enough my #8 was stashed in a short box, and not lurking in the long box where it's normally found. It's in way worse condition than I remembered, however. :eek:

WDCS # 176 May 1955

The boys are prepared for Donald's reaction to their subpar grades.

Child beating just ain't what it used to be.

Jack

Maybe the boys picked up that idea from the Jr. Woodchuck manual. :gossip:

It seem like "that certain" season is nearly here again.

#128 May 1951

WDCS_128.jpg

Edited by frozentundraguy

5556905449_0ab28a8921_b.jpg

Looks like you've been pawing through my collection.

Jack

(the prime stuff) 5544195961_5fa682662c_z.jpg

:headbang:

I just added that photo cause my wireless keyboard went dead and I didn't have any fresh batteries.

I have purchased three copies of the WDCS with the Mad Chemist story but only one has a cover.Those early DD stories are fun to read in any condition.

Edited by BB-Gun

Just got this really solid copy in today. It's the 40th of my attempted 1-100 run. (Might be time for a group shot... hm )

For now I'm concentrating on 50-100, because I think the trend in duck prices is generally downwards still and those expensive early ones can wait. Anyone disagree?

wdcs_082.jpg

Thought the duck board might enjoy this picture of me getting to meet Don Rosa a few years back in San Diego. Don Rosa at the time was no longer working on the Disney books and we had a long talk about how he preferred to spend his time cutting his grass down in Kentucky. That's was a shame from my point of view.

For any of you interested Don used to do a great series for the old RBCC called the Pertwillaby Papers. The infulence of Barks is pretty clear in the stories and they are a lot of fun. Not sure if they ever got reprinted but they are worth picking up. Before that Don used to write the infrormation column for RBCC and those are fun to read as well.

As I recall at this show Don was selling off his collection, a great set of books from the sixties throught the eighties or nineties.

117946.jpg.96b4f99c9c7022ad72b3bbb9b85b61bf.jpg

There is a Pertwillaby Papers collection out there. Came out of Norway in 2001 -

http://www.amazon.com/Pertwillaby-Papers-Don-Rosa/dp/8291149070/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322265026&sr=8-1

I thought though there had been some other reprints of it earlier but can't find it online (not looking hard either ...)

There is a Pertwillaby Papers collection out there. Came out of Norway in 2001 -

http://www.amazon.com/Pertwillaby-Papers-Don-Rosa/dp/8291149070/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322265026&sr=8-1

I thought though there had been some other reprints of it earlier but can't find it online (not looking hard either ...)

Thanks Scrooge, I was going to add that to my wish list until I looked at the price! WOW! Wish I had saved those old RBCC's I thinnk I sold them some years ago. I used to subscribe and it was one of the great pleasures of receiving a new issue was to read the latest PP installment.

Cool Busted Flush; and that cover is actually an indication of why Don Rosa stopped doing duck books. Every bit of detail he drew was accomplished with T-square and French Curves; a result of his undergrad training in Civil Engineering. Most other artists freehand such things but Don was self taught and adapted drafting techniqes to his draughtmanship. Anyone familiar with these techniques will realize the incredible amount of time it took him to complete a story.

That time committment is what he spoke of that day and his inability to make it all pay off for the amount of time required. Too bad as Don was certainly the heir apparent to Mr. Barks.

There's these Fantagraphics reprints from the 80s as well. I bought mine from Mile High years ago and I notice they still have #1 in stock. (Best walrus stampede in comic history!)

rosa_1.jpg

#2 has the original omnisolve story. It is very similar to the later duck one, almost down to the last 'glorp'.

rosa_2.jpg

And there are three volumes of Don's 'Captain Kentucky' strip collected by a fan group. I'm lucky enough to have all of them signed by the man himself. Here's #1:

kentucky_1.jpg

One of the characters in here appears in the duck version of the Kalevala. I wonder if I was the only one who thought 'hey, it's J. Fred Frog' when the big splash panel with Iku Turso appears near the end... :insane:

Cool Busted Flush; and that cover is actually an indication of why Don Rosa stopped doing duck books. Every bit of detail he drew was accomplished with T-square and French Curves; a result of his undergrad training in Civil Engineering. Most other artists freehand such things but Don was self taught and adapted drafting techniqes to his draughtmanship. Anyone familiar with these techniques will realize the incredible amount of time it took him to complete a story.

That time committment is what he spoke of that day and his inability to make it all pay off for the amount of time required. Too bad as Don was certainly the heir apparent to Mr. Barks.

Interesting, I never knew that was how he drew. What a shame, as he was certainly the best Duck artist since Barks.

I wonder why he wouldn`t consider just writing, and letting someone else do the art, since he was also the best writer since Barks too.

Interesting, I never knew that was how he drew. What a shame, as he was certainly the best Duck artist since Barks.

I wonder why he wouldn`t consider just writing, and letting someone else do the art, since he was also the best writer since Barks too.

Very interesting. Shame he retired, his love of the characters and his talent are

undeniable.